Rose Pass, B.C.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by R.J., Oct 21, 2006.

1. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The landslide has been cleared and a bush hog has cleared one side of the westfork all the way to the trappers cabin. Also new planks on the first bridge so maybe loggers have plans in there?? Not sure how overgrown the pass will be after 2 years of no use (river is way to high to cross on a bike) but the route is now possible. Hopefully some intrepid explorers on atvs or jeeps with chainsaws will open er up. It was a great loop combined with Grey Creek.
  2. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Back in the day, growing up around here - we're talking the 60's and 70's when I first sallied forth on a Yamaha 175cc Enduro - the Rose Pass was a far better track than Redding Creek. Like, back in the day when it was called Redding Creek, rather than Grey Creek as the government renamed it - which made perfect sense from a government perspective, because only about 10% of the road follows Grey Creek, while about 90% on the east side of the pass is Redding Creek.

Anyways, back then Redding Creek was the more gnarly as it was mostly only Cominco's line crews that 4x4'ed along that road to service the transmission lines. Guy I went to high school worked on that crew and shot some huge elk every hunting season doing that job. There was way more logging up the Rose Pass back then, and the roads were much better than Redding Creek. We used to do the loop a lot.

Last time I went poking my nose around in the Rose Pass, I said fuck that! and turned around. Alder jungle, washouts, etc. I got more than my fair share of bushwhacking and physical misery in my 28 years jumping out of airplanes in the military and then staggering around with stupid weighing packs, to go looking to go do that for "recreation".

So many of the former FSRs in the East Kootenays have been allowed to become nearly impassible without a quad or a somebody on a dirt bike who likes gnarly riding. The Wildhorse FSR from Ft. Steele to Top of the World, Ram Creek from Skookumchuck into the White Swan, Rose Pass, etc.

Those roads weren't newly opened areas that somebody could argue should be decommissioned once logging was finished. Those were major FSRs used by local residents in their everyday vehicles for recreation for decades. Our parents took us on camping, fishing, hunting, etc. trips on those roads every year growing up. Travelling either in a Volkswagen bug, or the old Mercury pickup. Not exactly what you'd call 4x4 type transportation.

What a loss.

It would be nice to do a trip over the Rose Pass again, but in my mid 60's now and breaking more easily than I used to, I'm not really interested in gnarly riding. Maybe I'll borrow my cousin's quad some day to go have a look; do it in comfort.
    cal08 and JDakota like this.
  3. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    34756A9E-0E5B-4285-8CD4-B7CD1F8996E2.jpeg Seems Rose pass is being deactivated from the Crawford bay side. Not sure exactly what to make of this sign because I rode a few km up up the pass today and there is new flagging tape marking future culverts and pull outs as well as some fine white (survey?) string that gives me the impression they plan on logging the area. The alders have been cleared past the split (left to the cabin, right to the pass) and most of the clearing appears to have been done this year. Once into the tight switchbacks the alders close in and make the pass near impassable. If i was on my quad i might have considered continuing on but it was a little gnarly for a solo bike run.

Attached Files:

4. duggyb

duggyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @JDakota did you ever go back later in the year and check it out? I am thinking of trying to make it through in summer 2020, I like to really challenge myself and usually get into situations I probably shouldnt, so smashing myself with alderbrush for a few hours is right up my alley if I can make it through. Thoughts?
  5. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I never did make it back but if I do this spring I will update this thread. For me (based on the parts I have seen) it seemed too over grown for a bike but I am a little older and only an average rider. Fighting alders while trying to climb steep rocky trails is beyond my skill set. I can almost promise there will be some big trees across what's left of the trail beyond where I have been and the St Marys river on the EK side is a formidable crossing for all but a few weeks a year. But if you do make a go of it I would be up for tagging along (on my quad with a saw and beer :)
  6. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crossing St Mary river is best attempted in late August - very early Sept after a few weeks of no rain. Advice passed on to me by someone who drove Rose Pass in a Toyota4Runner over a decade ago. He didn't mind getting it "alderized". Even then the alder would have been an issue for motos.
  7. EightTwentySix

EightTwentySix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m planning on hitting it this year at some point. I plan on cheating again and opting for my Beta or KLX over my KLR though.

I seem to recall similar signage to that above being posted in regards to road deactivation last time I rode the area. I don’t remember where specifically.
  8. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a couple public GPX tracks on Gaia that went over Rose pass this summer. Looks like someone hiked it and another rode a 790 over. Anyone else here who can give any comment on the road condition?