Rotator Cuff Surgery and Return to Riding...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Mike M, Feb 1, 2008.

1. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    Ouch. I waited 15 months and tried PT resting and anti inflammatory meds before getting an MRI which confirmed the need for surgery. That was dec 17.

9 weeks later (two weekends ago) I was cleared to ride again. I don't think the Dr knew that I'd have my GS off road with a spill and 160 miles on the first day. I wasn't expecting to myself (riding with some young bucks on 400 and 650 thumpers) so glad I was ready and did all the PT cause it it was hard to hold back with all that pent up riding demand!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. FoxenTec

FoxenTec Not going to Live to Die

Oddometer:
    Thank you Katoom again! Bought the laces which are awesome and the back scratcher. Still fighting with the State on getting "a" disability check. Geez 40 years of working and its a major fight trying to fix their errors. If anyone is inclined to send a prayer my way for Thursday 3/2 please remember me. Looking forward to getting this surgery over with.

Cheers,
  3. DMCaton

DMCaton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best of luck!
  4. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prayers to you. I go for mine on Monday.
  5. katoom400

katoom400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck gents!

I expect full reports the night of surgery...you'll be loopy but able to type one handed. I forgot to mention that a laptop with a touchpad works best, or you can get a cheap logitech wireless keyboard with touchpad from bestbuy for $30.

IPad works great for the 1st few days with the voice to text option.
  6. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    Indeed. Good luck and take your time. Hold the line with the insurance co... they may approve you for x days but it's not their call. It's yours and your dr. I was direct with my doc and he simply asked when do you want to go back to work. I took two weeks and a few days. Yes I could've gone back a few days earlier but with the time I could focus on PT and what was critical for me .. getting outside for some long walks and even hikes. This helped clear the nasty meds out of my system and helped with sleep which helped with... its all related. So again. Take your time!

7. FoxenTec

Oddometer:
    Prayers for your surgery Monday! Thank you all!
    bomose likes this.
  8. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Had my appointment with the ortho doc. He ordered an MRI with arthrogram, which doesn't sound fun since I am scared to death of needles. Looks like I am scheduled for next week on Wednesday for the MRI, someone want to talk me off the ledge?

John
  9. DMCaton

DMCaton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too hate needles and was scared to death of the MRI arthrogram. It was nowhere near as bad as I expected though, the injection was quick and felt similar to any other shot, just a bit deeper. My arm was a bit sore for the next 12 hours or so but nothing to worry about. The MRI should be the same as any other MRI (I'm assuming here, it's the only one I've ever had) and was shorter than I expected to be. Might not be fun if you're claustrophobic though. I just put their headphones on and slept through most of it while tuning out the loud banging sounds.
    LudemJo likes this.
  10. katoom400

katoom400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well, you should be home by now.....how you feeling buddy? Hopefully our prayers worked out well for you!
  11. bomose

Oddometer:
    I just got home from my surgery. Everything went well. There is a procedure that came out last year that has a different anchor and is less invasive and heals quicker. Some kind of mesh that the tendon grows into quicker. My supraspinatus was the only thing torn, although badly. My doc used to be the head of the ortho dept. at the Bethesda Naval Hospital and actually operated on a couple of Presidents. He said I should be able to go on my bike trip in May. Thanks for the prayers.
    IMG_3931.JPG IMG_3932.JPG
    CoatsEast likes this.
  12. katoom400

katoom400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it went well for you! That's awesome to be riding in 3 months. Boy I don't miss that sling! how long you in it for?
  13. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    Looking good! The worst part is what the painkillers will do to you! Take some time off and after a few days get outside for some long walks!

14. leftleg

leftleg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope your surgery is successful, be patient. It takes some time to recover. Your picture reminds me of the way my hand felt because of the nerve block. Ice is your friend! Get well soon.
  15. bomose

Oddometer:
    I think the reason there may be a quicker recovery is the new technique and only the supraspinitus torn. This is also a street ride. I'll see how I feel. He says the sling is for my comfort, not stability in my case, so didn't tell me how long I should wear it. I go in for therapy tomorrow. Yeah, lots of ice.
  16. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts are with all of you that are recovering. I go in for my MRI with arthrogram tomorrow afternoon. The ortho doc said he should get the results in 4-5 days. I met a guy I hadn't seen for a long time today, and when he shook my hand it felt like he was going to dislocate my shoulder. I have the feeling surgery is somewhere in my future as well, but I would really like to hold off until the fall but it definitely is not getting better on its own. Nearly 3 months since my fall...

John
  17. bomose

Oddometer:
    Monday night was the worst night (night after the surgery). After the block wore off I couldn't get comfortable, therefore lots of pain and no sleep. The Dilaudid did nothing for the pain for me. As soon as I switched to the oxycodone, it got better. Had my first therapy on Tuesday. Quite painful, but it got the joints to loosen a bit. Got some sleep. More therapy this morning and then Friday. 3/week after this. Some exercises at home. The pain during the day is OK as long as the pills are overlapped as per schedule. Ice it quite often. Did my sympathy walk around the neighborhood today and talked to a few who have had this done. Recovery will take a while, but hopefully the pain will go away quickly.
  18. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read through the first three pages and skipped ahead to tell my story. Major reconstruction, detach, tighten, reattach, entire shoulder structure, back in early nineties. I was three months sling and then 9 months rehab. I'm sure things are way different nowadays. For one, I have a 5" scar on my shoulder to remind me of it.

My doc gave me exercises, thera bands and let me know not to go crazy but to push it until I couldn't take the pain withought getting stupid. After a week I swam a length of my apartment pool and then followed by holding a broomstick out from me like a bench press and had my girl friend slowly pull it towards my head, it went back an inch. The next day I did two laps and again the stretching afterwords. Every day I added a lap or two until after a week I started going to a real pool. I think I did two lengths my first trip. By my three month check up I was doing a mile and a half at a time and my flexibility and strength shocked my Doc. I could now get the broomstick to the floor behind my head full extended arms. He doubled checked his files because he couldn't believe I had gotten out of the sling only three months ago.

I can play tennis but throw like a girl, never got that flexible again. My Sprint 955ST has a forward lean of 26degrees according to CycleErgo and I never get sore riding.

I had never swam a lap in my life until this, I was the boy scout that spent two weeks of summer camp learning how to swim because I was the only one who had to stay in the shallow end at summer camp. I swam slow and deliberate. I still swim slow and deliberate but have done a coupe half iron mans since. I once took a swim lesson to learn how to swim faster and figured I could get help in my stroke. The coach had me swim a few laps and then told me my stroke was fine, I just needed to swim faster, ha, I never knew it was aenerobic exercise:). Then he put me through a workout so I would know what I was supposed to be working like. I never knew you could sweat in a pool.

Swimming was my ticket to full strength. I was a grad student at the time so taking a couple of hours a day to swim and stretch wasn't a burden.

Ironically, the last time it wa sore when I rented a K1000T in CA and put 500 miles on it over a weekend and the upright hands out with elbows at right angles position was hell on the shoulder, I much prefer the sport position.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  19. FoxenTec

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys for not writing for a while. Surgery was last week, tomorrow will be a week. Doc says tears were massive and he normally uses 2 anchors to repair but mine took 6. Surgery was about 4.5 hours. I got out of the hospital at 2:00 am because I had low oxygen levels attributed to the nerve block. Once the nerve block wore off (24 hrs) I was in pain. Back to my primary care doctor for stronger pain meds but he sent me immediately to the emergency room. I received an injection for pain that helped. i am now taking the oxycodon still and when pain is really bad the Hydromorphone which I think is the Dilaudid. I feel rotten after the Dilaudid. i am very anxious for the throbbing pain to stop and to once again not be in pain. Sorry if I am whining! My wife is a saint in taking such good care. Wish you all the best for those recovering and those planning for surgery.
  20. katoom400

katoom400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your experience as far as the pain once the block wore off sounds just like mine. I had to take oxycodone and tramadol together to get on top of the pain, but I would say 24-36hrs later I was weening off the pain pills. then just a few tylenol every 4-6hrs. for me the first few days were the toughest...then it got a little better every day and by the end of 1 week I felt "decent" again.

my repair was also "massive" with 6 anchors and all kinds of other work in there.....as I mentioned the hardest part is when the block wears off and the pain comes marching in....at 1 week post op I was ~pain free. but everyone is different. My surgeon told me I would probably need the pills for 1-2 weeks but I was off of them in 3 days....so everyone's tolerance of pain is different for sure. I don't think of myself as having a high tolerance for pain either....but pain is pain and if you are feeling it then you have to take the pills..no need to be a tough guy...but get off them as soon as you can....they slow down the healing and form to the shape of a cork in your large intestine.

You'll likely be in the sling for 6 weeks, but once you get out of that things will start happening at a faster rate. I'll be 12 weeks this coming Tuesday and I'm doing great so far...doc and PT say I'm way ahead of schedule. PT is advancing me pretty quickly and I have my 12 week follow up next Thursday so hopefully they clear me to start working with some real weights....at least in the double digits..LOL

You guys are in the hardest part right now. FoxenTec, do you have a cold therapy machine? this can really help with the pain and help you get off those pills faster!

I'm not a herbal remedy kind of guy, but you might try a product available on Amazon called Zyflamend...it's a natural anti-inflammatory that my friends wife who is a herbal nut hooked me up with...it seemed to help a lot. They also make a night time formula which will help you sleep which you need plenty of for healing!

speaking of sleep how are you guys doing in that dept?
    CoatsEast and bomose like this.