Rotopax vs Kolpin - is there a difference besides cost?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ripshod, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Ripshod

Ripshod Prym8

Oddometer:
    And, are the mounts interchangeable?

They seem to be about the same but the Kolpin stuff is half the price.

Thanks.
  2. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will probably find more reviews from people with leaking Kolpins than Rotopax.
  3. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    I have ran and sold the Kolpins for years with no issues. I am almost 100% sure that the mounts are not interchangeable. Kolpin does not offer a stacking option like Rotopax does if that is at all important to you. IMO the Kolpin material seems heavier grade but I am no expert on that. Kolpin 1.5 gal container with mount is cheaper than just the 1 gal Rotopax container alone with no mount.
  4. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had both but have retired or given away all of the Kolpin ones I have had. My experience with various Kolpins are that they generally are much more prone to leaking, are much more "fiddily" to get closed and their plastic mounts (while being cheaper) are not near the quality or durability of the Rotopax stuff. The mounts do not interchange between the two brands either.

I presently have 7-8 Rotopax fuel paks in various sizes and even if a Rotopax fuel pack and mount setup is ~1.8 times more expensive than a similar Kolpin I would not hesitate to spend the extra $$$ on the Rotopax.

Rotopax does not stick non US customers with the asinine CARB / EPA spouts either.
  5. Ripshod

Ripshod Prym8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your opinions.

I really don't mind spending more (a LOT more even) to get more. I just want to be satisfied that, in the long run, the money is well spent. Gasoline storage is serious business, not something that I'm willing to take chances with.
  6. Lumberjeff

Lumberjeff River City MC

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing about 4,000 miles ago. Why such a price difference? I went with the Kolpin it mounted up fine and has not leaked in all that time. So if I was looking to buy another I would have no problem going with the Kolpin again.
  7. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a Kolpin 1.5 Gallon Fuel Pack Jr., CW Mount in the shop today along with multitudes of the Rotopax's in various sizes. Rotopax is far and away the better product and has considerably more options in fuel pack mounts, sizes and colours for different fuels and water.

Locally a Kolpin 1.5 Gallon Fuel Pack Jr., CW Mount is ~$50 and a 1 Gallon Rotopax with DLX Mount is ~$85, a 1.75 Gallon Rotopax with DLX Mount is ~$95.

My understanding is that 5-6 years ago that the current Rotopax manufacturer was the manufacturer of the Kolpins but they parted ways (this is the point where the Kolpin's got a reputation for being leakers) and the Kolpin's since then have been blow molded and the Rotopax are roto-molded. For my usage on pannier racks I would not even consider a Kolpin due to their (IMO) greatly inferior quality as I would not trust the Kolpin plastic mount nor the "Super High Quality" cap on the Kolpin in case of going down or in tight quarters.

Kolpin 1.5 Gallon Fuel Pack Jr., CW mount:
    [​IMG]

Rotopax 1 Gallon and 2 Gallon Fuel Pack:
    [​IMG]

Kolpin Mount, all plastic except for the threads on the handle.
    [​IMG]

Rotopax DLX Mount, no plastic anywhere:
    [​IMG]

Neck of Kolpin:
    [​IMG]

Neck of Rotopax:
    [​IMG]

"Super High Quality" Kolpin cap over CARB /EPA ECO Spout:
    [​IMG]

Rotopax uses standard Scepter Parts (easily sourced up here, no CARB /EPA ECO Spout BS):
    [​IMG]

Scepter parts will not fit on Kolpin:
    [​IMG]

Rotopax DLX mount:
    [​IMG]

Kolpin Mount in Rotopax:
    [​IMG]
    appliance57 likes this.
  8. nitramshirley

nitramshirley Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. frog13