Rottweiler Filter and Pre-filter foam crumbling

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jdubb75, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my 990 for about two years and have been using No Toil products on the Rottweiler filter and pre filter. Tonight when I went to clean the pre-filter it just started crumbling as soon as I started to rinse it in the No Toil cleaning solution. I'm not exactly sure how old the filter is as it was on the bike when I got it, but I have never seen anything like this and I've been using No Toil products on Uni and Twin Air filters for years.

Has anyone else had any kind of experience like this with the foam on Rottweiler filters? I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what they will say. I also don't see any kind of replacement filter listed on their site. I sure hope I'm not going to have to buy a whole new intake system just to get the filter.

I wish I would have thought to take a pic before I started to rinse it as it still looked fine. This pic doesn't show much, but it was taken two months ago and what little of the filter is visible looks fine.

upload_2018-7-31_23-15-44.png

Here are some pics taken after a quick rinse. The filter was not soaked in the solution. I dunked the filter in the warm water cleaning solution and squeezed it a couple times and started to see it falling apart right away. I pulled it out of the solution and squeezed (no wringing) the excess solution out and here's the end result.

upload_2018-7-31_23-18-32.png

upload_2018-7-31_23-19-8.png

upload_2018-7-31_23-19-39.png
  2. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would cry rivers of tears. Let us know what they say.
  3. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Foam ages and decomposes. I have had that happen..... different filters, different oils, different bikes, different times. Vapor from "modern" fuels can accelerate the process. Be happy if you can score a new one from them. Otherwise, chalk it down to regular maintenance.

As a side note, I have done the no toil thing. For years. Since the first alcohol version (with the adverse effects) and "green". Convinced myself to do the extra tacky work to "benefit the environment".
    Nowadays I will shoot you if you say no toil too close to me. If I don't have a gun and ammo, I will throw a rock at your melon.
    Not asking anyone to agree with me, and I am sure there will be many no toil fans out there. But for me, there are so many negatives with no toil, I will never touch it again.
    Never stops dripping. No matter how long you let it drip. Mounted on the bike or out.
    Gets all over everything, super tacky turns into a mess.
    Extra massaging foam to both oil and to clean ruins filters quicker.
    Can't use other soaps when in a bind.
    Sorry for the rant!
    mountaincadre likes this.
  4. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ITG do replacement filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not just me then, bloody stuff is all over my nice shiny bike.
    buzybraza likes this.
  6. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not seen it crumble like that but seems the glue is not up to the task have several falling apart, first one i used some thread to get it to hold together.

Had filter disintegrate like that on machines from the 80s with age unknown on filter but probably towards 30 years of age.

/Johan
  7. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    I think mine is about to do the same thing! Kinda scared to service it. Mine is a IGT filter on a RW kit. Got it second hand so don't know the history...
    Like you only NoToil. Almost ready to go back to stock airbox!
  8. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had my pre filter in a drawer next to my grease gun. Some grease got on it and it looked like that in those spots. Tossed it and got a new one.
  9. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    From ITG's web page:

How do I clean my filter?

Click through to our cleaning video on youtube where you will find a guide on how to clean every type of filter that we manufacture. Cleaning video

Please ensure only ITG oil and cleaner are used, as these have been specially formulated to work with our foam air filters. If ITG oil is not available Rock oil Factory foam oil and Rock Oil Factory Foam Kleen can be safely used as an alternative.

I Remember foam air filters and 30wt oil?? LOL ,,, FWIW, I've had foam filters do the same thing when exposed to MTBE..
  10. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of people are getting into a flap over nothing. It’s foam, it will fail over time. Some people here are talking about second hand filters that may have many years on them. A new filter is about £80. I can live with that every 5 odd years or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Loff and 2 SPOT like this.
  11. jdubb75

Oddometer:
    I called Rottweiler and a replacement filter is available for around $90 by phone in only at the moment. So, yeah, not quite as bad as the envisioned $300 replacement cost of a new kit.

And, yes, it's probably 4-5 years old. I'm not bashing Rottweiler and I would buy their products in the future. I was just surprised how the foam just crumbled away. I haven't seen a filter do that since the foam used in bikes made 35-40 years ago.

Oh well, a $90 (+$30 if you also want the pre-filter) wear item that lasts 4-5 years isn't the end of the world.
    Loff, JohnnyWaffles and jhalfhide like this.
  12. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve heard enough things about No Toil in the past, that I’ve never touched it...so I have no first hand experience with it.
  13. jdubb75

Oddometer:
    I've been using it for probably 6-8 years and have never had an issue with it. I used to use some pretty tacky filter oils that were stubborn to come out with kerosene. Then there's the "how do I get rid of the dirty kerosene" question. Who know's...No Toil may be just as harmful, but I wash it out in the yard and it don't kill the grass. :confused
    JBird and JohnnyWaffles like this.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using Belray oil since day one on all my bikes. That stuff is pretty darn tacky. To clean it, I just soak it in a 2 gallon bucket of mineral spirits. I have a screen cage that’s about an inch above the bottom of the bucket so that the filter doesn’t sit in the gunk that’s at the bottom. I’ve been using the same bucket of mineral spirits for the past couple years.
  15. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had filters disintegrate exactly as you are showing. Not sure if it's from the heat or what, but I also use NoToil, mainly due to easy cleanup. Usually happens after a few cleanings. That said, I've also been using NoToil on all of the other bikes for quite some time and have never had a problem with those.
    braaap! likes this.
  16. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    Yeah they do that. Get another one :)
  17. David37

David37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using No Toil for years on all of my foam filters. When I tried to clean my Uni pre filter with No Toil soap it fell apart like your air filter. I bought a new Uni pre filter and used Uni air filter oil (already had an open bottle) and reinstalled my new filter. IMO No Toil and Uni air filters do mix well together.
  18. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used No Toil since 2004, easy clean up with less environmental impact and foam filters don't last forever... I recently binned an ITG as it started to crumble after 3 years.
    Will see how long the 'rotty' lasts :)
  19. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ROTI is a ITG.. :) But I worked on a lot of race cars with ITG filters and the type of fuel run seems to directly affect the life of the filter, fuels high in ethanol, or MTBE definitely lowered the life of filters in close proximity to the CARBS / throttle bodies ,, my suspicion was its the evaporation when the vehicle is parked.. So I started pulling the filters off over the winter and putting a Filter sock over the carbs/tb's to keep the bugs and dirt out. Seem to keep them happier. Also made sure to clean them and re-oil before storage.. (I use the ITG products on their filters some of the one I use are hundreds of dollars.. )
    MarcoSolo likes this.
  20. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this something that happens all at once or have you noticed a gradual degradation? I’ve been using Dawn dish soap (if it works on oil-fouled birds...) and chainsaw bar oil for the last ~6 yrs....working well and it’s crazy cheap.