ROTTWEILER intake

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Nowwhat, Nov 17, 2020.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I have an R model so it has the orange subframe. I think either the orange or black would look good because there are orange and black contrasts all over the bike. I’m holding out for the black because I changed all the graphics on my bike to white/red/black. The orange of the frame kind of sucks that it is orange and not black, so I definitely don’t want to pull more orange out by using the orange airbox.
  2. AdamM001

AdamM001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nova Scotia, Canada (+years in Texas and Norway)
    .. I ordered an orange (and quite a few other goodies: 15T sprocket, vanasche cs guard, extra filter, skins, etc) in DEC last year - and still haven’t received anything for the money they received immediately.
    I finally sent them a mail a month ago, asking for an update and only then got words from them along those same lines of “shipment stuck at port “ .. fair enough and not overly upset (it’s still winter here, and I have a 950 and a 300 GasGas needing maintenance to keep me busy) - but a bit discouraging to see others receiving THEIR orders! .. I hope they have a ‘first come’ list they’re working from. Otherwise, seems a bit random....
  3. RyanC

RyanC Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting for my gray intake ordered in early Jan. Sounds like a supply chain issue with some key parts in the kit . . . and while I would love to get it installed now I'll be honest - if it was here it would be sitting out in the shop next to the bike while I procrastinate installing it until the good weather arrives and I end up scrambling to get all of my winter accessory purchases installed so I can get out and ride.
    chippertheripper likes this.
  4. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Speaking of the gray, if they had chosen that dark gray KTM is using as a color on a lot of the smaller bikes, that would have been very cool.
  5. MPNX2

MPNX2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So to those we are waiting for the unit what is your answer in the interim? Running the OEM paper media? That is what is the most problematic to me is there is not a foam option that is really available. The power parts foam filter isnt available...

This may be an option I assume the same filter on the 890R: https://www.dominuscorp.com/twin-air-air-filter-kit-ktm-790-adventure-r-2019.html

Wish KTM would have supplied a foam type unit as opposed to paper
  6. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a common issue with Rottweiller and it would be nice if they would update items on their website.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of issues with the stock airbox when it comes to normal foam filters (besides fitment the issues). One is that the surface area is small, probably less than half the surface area of a typical dirtbike filter. Another issue is with cartridge type foam filters with removable foam allowing dirt to get around the sides of the foam as the filter starts to clog and air looks for the path of least resistance.

After some trial an error I've settled on the OEM paper filter backed up by a Rottie pre-filter plate. The surface area is a bit small on the prefilter due to it being constrained by the availible space on the stock airbox but it's a breeze to change out and sits right where you can easily keep an eye on it. I keep eyeballing the airbox replacement options but haven't felt the need to go there yet...
  8. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed a Uni foam filter that I bought from CJ designs. It fits in the stock airbox. The bike has been sitting in the garage waiting to get its first dirt ride (which may happen this weekend), so I cannot comment on how well the filter works. I will install the RP intake when it arrives, but I am hoping that the Uni filter at least works better than the OE paper filter.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they have redesigned it. Early models of that filter were crap and were the cause of more than one motor sucking in dirt. The paper works very well. It has two weaknesses - It won't stand up to water if you submarine the bike. Can't really clean it for re-use. Though in a pinch the dirt can be knocked out at least.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  10. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
  11. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've taken to shooting them an email to get stock status before I place an order. I had a recent order that was fully paid and shipped and upon arrival was missing an item with no explanation provided. I called them to find out that the item was not in stock. As someone that has owned euro bikes for decades I'm pretty numb to supply chain issues and don't burn the calories on getting upset, but I don't really like when I have to chase down stuff like this.
    BISHOP likes this.
  12. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    They shouldn’t be charging for items that are back ordered. That’s a big non-no. I haven’t seen them do it on any of my orders (I think), but I will be on the lookout. They are a fairly small and crazy busy outfit. Wonder if they use a bargain basement IT/accounting company and they screwed it up?
    ebrew likes this.
  13. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    The web should say in stock or not in stock
    Take your money and not ship for a month
    Not a fan
    kirill_k likes this.
  14. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What exactly was is the presumed explanation for the Uni filters sucking dirt inside the intake? To your knowledge has the Uni filter issue been noted by many users or has there been only a couple of complaints? I am just wondering to what extent these problems might have been isolated or caused by Uni filters being installed incorrectly. I do plan to move to the RP intake as soon as I get one, but would like to do some riding before that is likely to occur. Also, I am aware that there have been some complaints about the KTM power parts foam filters, but I think that is a different design than the one Uni makes. Are we conflating the discussion regarding these two products?
  15. chrisssInStockholm

chrisssInStockholm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don´t like the orange frame it´s not a big deal to paint the sub-frame.

Sand blasted + powder coat cost me approx. 75 USD.
    Amazing finish. Better than the factory paint.

I Did it while the bike was disassembled waiting for Rottweiler parts.

Painted the Rotty intake black.

Also painted the Rade Garage side panels black.
    Painted the inside. Turned out really good.

I like black and grey.

One more thing. The sound with the intake is amazing.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
  16. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^that right there is how you solve a problem.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  17. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I'm speaking of the UNIfilter of Australia air filter. In short, the stock airbox has a curved sealing lip that the stock filter fits into well. The sealing surface on the UNI had angled sides and a flat face that does not interface with the sealing surface as well. It is also hard rubber and causes the airbox side of the seal to distort which creates a path for unfiltered air to enter. Perhaps they have changed the design.

I took some phtos of the issue and posted them in the lengthy air filter talk thread here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/air-filter-talk.1420142/page-24#post-40883872

Another inmate posted photos of how unfiltered air had slipped past the edges of the foam filter material itself and been sucked into the motor. Don't recall if he posted them in that thread or a different one.
  18. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is one properly nasty looking scoot, love it!
  19. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Awesome work! Actually, I guess I should have said the main frame, because that is actually where all the orange clashes with my graphics set.
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could just cover yours with some stickers....
    Brilloman, TrailTrauma and Dan D. like this.