ROTTWEILER intake

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Nowwhat, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI:

Dry dust n sand prefilter.

20210404_131312.jpg

20210404_131407.jpg

20210404_131550.jpg
    BHoward and chevmekanik like this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use these on all my trucks and bikes. Thanks for the #. I wonder if they have one for another app that fits any better (shape)?
  3. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    The elastic is pretty snug around the base.
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    No doubt. I was only thinking of the shape of the pre-filter versus the more oblong shape of the RWP filter cage. I thought maybe there was another one which had the oblong shape of the cage profile. Maybe something from some other application. I know for the CAI on my RAM which uses a custom sized filter, I can rely on finding those pre-filters for some *cough* Ford application, and it ends up almost a perfect fit on my RAM.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice find, and share. Just being picky I think. :fpalm
  5. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not use the prefilter Rottweiler sells, is outerwear a better option?
    TrailTrauma and SoilSampleDave like this.
  6. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Which pre-filter? Just looked and did not see any.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I think it’s down at the bottom of the page, but for sure when you are checking out, it’s there to order.
  8. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    You are talking about the filter skins. They need to be pre oiled and act like the main filter. This is a dry pre filter meant for dusty and sandy conditions. By not being oiled it sheds the sand and dust and lasts longer than an oiled filter that collects the dust and gets gummed up. This makes them perfect for SoCal/Baja/Dakar type conditions.

"Outerwears Pre-filters are designed to keep out particles of dirt, sand, and street debris as small as .005in. Our Pre-filters are run dry meaning no oils or additives are required so there is no dirt sticking to the oil creating premature loss of airflow and horsepower."
  10. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s what I was wondering as I wasn’t sure if there was a big difference, thanks.
  11. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Rottweiller PC skins say that they CAN be oiled, not that they NEED to be. What would happen if you used them dry? Would they work the same as the Outerwear ones?
  12. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking either way it’s not a huge deal, you get 3 and they are washable so easy to replace.
  13. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    But wouldn’t anything with holes small enough to stop dust be so restrictive as to affect flow in more than a trivial way?
    BHoward likes this.
  14. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The filter skins are meant to be oiled, they even have a warning on the packaging stating it.
    The R.P. air box air filter has so much filter media in terms of square inches, one could probably install a filter skin and 2 dust screens and still not be restricted enough to notice.
  15. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I was not referring to those; I was talking about the Outerwears skins that were recently referenced.
    BHoward likes this.
  16. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotcha, it was more of a general statement about both the skins and the Outerwear skins, I referred to them as dust screens.
    My apologies for the confusion or mislabeling.
  17. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    No worries. I have used the filterskins before (lightly oiled) and I like them. The other one is new to me.
    BHoward likes this.
  18. DustBuster

DustBuster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The filter skins like Rottwieller sells work great for dust when used properly and oiled, myself and many guys I know have run them for years on Baja dirt bike trips. Down there we would install an oiled filter skin over a clean oiled air filter and pack a clean oiled filter and another oiled filter skin. After Day 1 remove the dirty filter skin and run just the oiled air filter, after day 2 remove the dirty air filter and install the clean filter with clean filter skin, repeat and can go 4 days in the dust without needing to clean an air filter. Never had an issue with passing sand or dust. It's been my experience that a properly oiled twin air foam filter doesn't pass dust so the filter skin is more about extending life.
    Dan D. and tdhanses like this.
  19. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's the dust buster, so I'll take that as gospel.
    new2adv likes this.
  20. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    My craftsman shop vac has a fine dust filter that warps over the paper filter when you are vacuuming fine dust like drywall sanding dust. It has never impeded the flow of the air or the suction of the vac, so I assume a similar material would likewise not impede the flow of air into the engine in this case. You just need to watch to see if the really fine dust builds up on the fabric, which definitely CAN impede the flow of air. But then you just remove it and knock off the dust and reinstall. I like the idea of the oil-less prefilter.