Round Africa with a Surfboard

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by garnaro, Sep 25, 2013.

1. fanatic291

fanatic291 Desert Tortoise

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Keep up the good work.
  2. lilshep

lilshep n00b

Oddometer:
    Amazing trip. I wish I could be able to do something similar.
  3. amurp18

amurp18 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey! I just ran across your trip! Terrific stuff! I'm about to embark on something similar around South America from Texas, and I realized I will be driving through some of the best surf spots in the world. I would be an idiot to pass this up, right. I have never surfed before, but I expect I will catch on quickly. I'd like to ask you a few questions if I may to plan for this new addition to my trip plans...

1. I do not own a board yet; should I buy one and a rack like yours, or do you, or anyone know how reliable it will be to rent at every stop. I expect I will be surfing now about 5 days of the week so I expect renting might get pretty expensive, but also it will allow me to try out a bunch of different boards to find what I like. Or maybe I keep renting until I find a cheap board on my way? any thoughts on what you would do in my position?

2. I am curious how the handling of the bike is with the surfboard? Did you ever find it to be unbearable? I expect some windy conditions on my trip, but I'm sure you experienced the same conditions on yours as well, and might have some suggestions or insight?

Thanks for your time! Good Luck in Asia!

(p.s. you should stop off at that popular river surfing spot in Munich while you're there > )
  4. amurp18

amurp18 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. garnaro

garnaro MotoBlunderer

Oddometer:
    Hey Justin - sorry to miss your comment from long ago. Saw your pics on Instagram. I think the XT225 is a great bike for a super minimal adventure machine - really light and 6 gears. We're now riding across China two-up on a 48cc and even this thing works!
  6. garnaro

garnaro MotoBlunderer

Oddometer:
    Hey Amurp - I haven't checked this thread for a long time and I'm sure that you've sorted all this by now, but for anyone else with similar Q's:

1. Definitely bring a board. Most places in the world with good surf you can't get one or at least not the one you want to ride.

2. Hardly ever even know the board is there. Until I fall on it :doh
  7. garnaro

garnaro MotoBlunderer

Oddometer:
  8. Rough ride

Rough ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lovely choice of music. thanks. any chance of some details
  9. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Traveling to Senegal soon. Going back through this RR in search of pix and inspiration. Anyone in Dakar around 7-10 Nov 2016, give me a shout. I'll buy you a beer!

10. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    Bump for this great report! Was just talking about it the other day.
    ricochetrider and Abersouth like this.
  11. Highliner

Highliner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the report that got me hooked on advrider.com still one of the best.
    fasttortoise likes this.
  12. Abersouth

Abersouth misadventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the ride report that got me hooked also.
  13. sspiff22

sspiff22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate this getting bumped back to the top - I wasn't on here much, if at all, in 2015 and I just spent the last couple of weeks reading this from cover to cover during the slow times at work. This is the best thing I've read in recent memory. Dictionary definition of enthralling. Thank you!
  14. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bit off topic but congrats to the author, garnaro, who got to experience Nambia's Skeleton Bay (Donkey Bay) BEFORE the word leaked over the last year as video footage began to leak out. Now rich surfers, sponsored Pro's from Hawaii, Australia, US are all showing up.....Off topic but "the Internet destroyed surfing" after all the info, pic, vids leaked the best left in world is now a zoo. Much respect, would love to do this on a smaller scale, maybe start with Puerto Rico/Dominican Repub. during a winter swell.
    cheeseberger likes this.
  15. EN_NSE

EN_NSE n00b

Oddometer:
    Holy shit !! this is the greatest RR ever!! Much love @garnaro + Jamie you're the best, stoke-master Jedi's par excellence!!