Round Algonquin Park Dual Sport Ride-Starting and Ending in Toronto-

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Rut Runner, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on doing a RAP (Round Algonquin Park) ride in the next month or so. This will be a weekend dualsport ride, starting and ending in Toronto. My plan is to ride up to my cottage near Bancroft Friday after work. Stay one night, then ride counterclockwise around the park, Saturday night will be camping wherever we end up. Sunday would be a direct dual sport route back to Toronto.

The route I'm planning is best suited to smaller bikes (WR250R, DRZ400, XRL650). There will be deep sand, mud, knee deep water crossings etc, especially on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Let me know if you're interested in joining. The date will be dependent on my work schedule (which changes on short notice).
    touring_monk likes this.
  2. Oshawa boy

Oshawa boy not a kid anymore

Oddometer:
    Sounds like something I'd like to do. BUT I'm not sure about my poor little klx250 being up to it. If you're bombing down roads at a substained 100 plus could be an issue. I've ridden alot north of Bancroft east to Barry's Bay but never the north or west side.
    gpfan likes this.
  3. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will join you, as long as my crash bars and skid plate arrive for the new Tenere in time. Will watch the thread and keep you posted.
    gpfan likes this.
  4. Rut Runner

Oddometer:
    No issue on speed, I'm a "slow and steady" rider myself. What trails did you do north of Bancroft?
  5. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    Use to help put together the Algonquin trailride many years ago. Think it's possible to do the rap in two days? I've done some reading seems like min 600k a day.
    gpfan likes this.
  6. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    Your trip has convinced me to get a larger backpack (yesterday lol) and I've been looking at fuel bottles. Sail has a 1.5 L which should suffice. I do have a bag that should work as a saddle bag..have to test it. Speaking of test.. I'm going to try riding from Oshawa to bobcaygeon via some backroads up to Gooderham via five points over to kinmount (visit a friend) maybe do some Somerville trail then motor back to Oshawa. That will test me
  7. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Oshawa boy - I'd be interested in hearing how your route works out. I'm on a bigger bike looking for some off-road routes.
  8. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride today. Oshawa to Omemee via my dual sport route then boogied up to Bobcaygeon. Nothing good to ride between Omemee and bobcaygeon that I know. Up bass Lake Rd then trail to Gooderham. Haven't ridden that trail in a long time. Think I've slowed down! Gooderham to kinmount via backroad/highway. Jumped onto Somerville trails for a bit. Went the wrong way on a snowmobile trail..took me right back to where I started near kinmount..oh well. Took Victoria rail trail to burnt river where I was kicked off. Can't run a motorcycle south of burnt river but you can ride a big side by side... stupid. Ended up road running to Fenlon falls (gas) then road to Oshawa (with a couple of trails thrown in). It was getting on, I was hungry and getting low on gas so not much playing around. 400k round trip with two wrong ways.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  9. Rut Runner

Oddometer:
    From what I gather most people take 4 days to do the RAP ride. I'll be doing an express route in 2.5 days (leaving on Friday after work). I won't be hugging the boundary of the park either. On the west side I will cross hwy 11 and take the TCAT south (never done that section yet). I agree I may come up short for time-in that case I'll just slab it-no big deal.

Mike
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  10. touring_monk

touring_monk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would vstrom 1000 be able to go ?
  11. Rut Runner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the interest in the ride, but a Vstrom 1000 is simply too big for this type of ride.