Round-and-Round and End-to-End (Swampland to the Highlands) - Lots of photos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by slartidbartfast, Jun 14, 2008.

1. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I'll see if I have any other video clips worth sharing. Some of the roads we rode (with oncoming cars) were quite a bit narrower than the one shown. I agree with you about Southern US drivers although I wouldn't necessarily single out rednecks. There are no worse drivers that I have encountered anywhere in the world than right here in Baton Rouge. The average poor driver (and I'm sure there are many good drivers here too) is not necessarily much more dangerous than anywhere else but just appallingly unskilled, inconsiderate and plain dopey (inattentive, slow reactions, etc.)
  2. DewNmoon

DewNmoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Off again in 10 days for another adventure away from the usual heat and humidity of South Louisiana. Slarto (if he can ever unpack from his work related travels) is set to meet fresh crew of S. LA "riders" o'r the pond. I'm taking them to the same place we picked up a ride last time.

Scheduled to have a new F800GS this time:clap

We'll post up under a new thread (as soon as we settle in)
  3. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!:freaky
  4. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
  5. pikipiki

pikipiki next!

Oddometer:
    Good reading, thanks for the report and sharing. Some of those roads looked fantastic to ride.
  6. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting for this...
    [​IMG]
  7. Ted Bell

Ted Bell I want that one!

Oddometer:
    Well done!
  8. Koho

Koho Rotax Powered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing with us ... bravo!!!1 :clap
  9. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    Congrats! :clap
    It's something I've been thinking about doing for a little while now, being in the UK makes it a little easier I suppose :D
    Another nice ride, if your ever over here again, is going to the end of the A40, from in London (maybe not that bit...it sucks) out to Abergavenny in SW Wales. It's only about 140 miles and 3 hours (at speed limits) but not a bad ride.
  10. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    A30/A303 into the Southwest used to be a half-way decent ride from London but from what I saw during this trip, it is jammed with traffic most of the time and has numerous speed cameras in areas with silly low limits. I think there are better places to go in the home counties if you know the area.

Wales is great but Scotland is SO much better. For a day-ride from my parent's place in S. Devon, running about on Dartmoor is hard to beat.
  11. wingnut7

wingnut7 Wingnut

Oddometer:
    Thank you for a great story I will be off to the Uk in early October if not before. Was going to tour with the wife in a car.... to hell with that I am going to get a bike after she has gone back to South Africa and do some touring with the bike in Scotland and Wales. You have given me of some good places to go to.
    Thank you
    Stuart :ricky
  12. ROBSONREMY

ROBSONREMY n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello. I've been enjoying your report very much. Thank you. This car you are questioning i believe you will find is a ''singer''. I can remember seeing a few of them in new zealand during my youth. More than that, i have no idea----------sorry.
  13. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Thanks ROBSONREMY. I went back and re-read everything this evening. Now I want to go back and do it all again. It really was a fabulous trip.

Regarding the car. My father knows the owner and got the scoop from him. It WAS a Triumph TR-2 but when the body rusted away, it was replaced with the kit-car bodywork from a company called "Spartan" apparently.