Round OZ on KTM 950 Adventure?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by HumanOne, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Paves

Paves Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer:
    Fantastic bike Pete :tb Congrats on both the bike and the wedding :clap:clap.

Steve
  2. HumanOne

HumanOne shows Nomadic tendencies

Oddometer:
    occassionally Adelaide, South Australia :-)
    Thanks Steve! Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with both :wink:
  3. all balls525

all balls525 Adventure b4 Dementure

Oddometer:
    G'day Pete,

Great to see this thread moving again. :clap

Congrats on the up and coming wedding, and its noted that your new bike will be suited to only "multi day trips away" - coincidence? :lol3

Catch up next Avoca night

Cheers :freaky all balls
  4. sinned

sinned Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    absolutely brilliant report and subsequent thread... spent several days and nights reading every single post :evil with a few late nighters' thrown in just for good measure. bought back loads of memories too from my own two circumnav's round OZ (both by car though unfortunately)... working my way round in various hospitals (big, small and in between) for several years so a car was a must to lug me and my gear round (far too much for a bike to carry). Still I did a lot of the same outback tracks in a Ford Falcon XF Wagon... with LSD which saved my arse a couple of times even managed to drive the Bucanan track from Halls Creek around into the Bungle Bungle National park to top Springs then back to do the Tanami 4x4 track to Alice during the wet season... amazingly I made it (even though the track was under water in quite a few places at the NT border) quite a few sections where it was touch n go, and others where the track was as slippery as water on marble/granite - scary stuff even in a cage, would have been lethal on a bike (blame it on my 4x4ing experience back in Kiwiland...)

Anyway, Pete - great narrative and photos to boot (BIG thumbs UP)
    This post and several other threads like this one... and Wasps over there in WA and Nevs' amongst a few others... I almost feel like a long lost mate... fair dinkum... bloody awesome.

Congratulations on tying the knot... Look forward to reading more of your adventures in the not too distant future :deal
    Who knows... I might be over in OZ again soon, astride a new XT1200z sucking in some sand by bike... doing my own circumnavigation round OZ rather than in a cage :)

If anyone out there, catches this reply and has some faint plan to do a ride in 2011 round OZ, please PM me... I'm a definite starter. Cheers
    :freaky
  5. HumanOne

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sinned! :thumbup

Keep in touch when you end up travelling around OZ. Hopefully we'll catch up somewhere in your travels.
  6. HumanOne

Oddometer:
    Today, my faithful companion of so many a massive journey, went to a loving new home ...

[​IMG]

The proud new owner came over this morning and we went for a blast up through the Adelaide Hills to Strathalbyn, met up with Dogsbody for a bite of lunch then came back home and signed her over.

Yep! It's bit sad to see her go. She has been real good to me and taken me to some magical places I had never seen or even imagined before. She is still a sweet looking bike and I'm sure she'll serve her new owner well for many more years to come.

I have an attachment to this bike and I just was not in a hurry to let her go, hence why I still had her in the shed for over a year after purchasing the SE. Still a lovely bike to ride and just fits like a glove.

Anyway, I'm sure our paths will cross again soon enough. She's gone to a nice home in the country and there's sure to be some rides planned soon enough together.

It's a funny feeling. I remember having her parked outside my bedroom window when she was a brand spanker and I was spending loads of money, setting her up with all the gear I'd need to travel for a long time. I found myself wondering if I was doing the right thing or just having a mid-life crisis, by planning to chuck my Insurance job with Lumleys and just ride off into the unknown? Sitting here now years later, that decision was one of the finest I've ever made for myself and it helped define the course of my life for the better from that point on.

I've made some great friendships as a result of travelling and of being associated with this fantastic website. Life's a little different now. I have to admit that riding the big desert trips took a back seat for a while after our mate Brad Holmes passed away on that fateful ride back in August '09 (RIP friend!). The gloss of doing the big adventures was dulled over for a while. It made me realize that life is very short and we too often take it for granted that we'll just live forever, when in actual fact we really don't know how long we've got, so we'd better make the most of it while we're here and still fit and healthy.

So, there's a few little home projects that I have to finish off, then it's time to fit the 30L tank to the SE that I purchased about a year ago from Safari and haven't even opened the box it came in yet. Maybe it's the wrong colour? Better have a look. I just didn't have enough room in my little shed to work on my bikes comfortably, but that's now been assisted somewhat today.

Timing is great. Emig Racing have kindly just sent my Triple Clamps and Damper back from the states after being re-anodized, the damper upgraded, after it became faulty, and now suited to fit the SE. I have to thank Paige at Emig Racing for providing such awesome service and warranty on their fantastic products. It's a pleasure to have dealings with great companies like theirs. I appreciate all the work they've done to ensure one of their little customers in Australia is happy. And that I am!

So, hopefully not before too long, I've got some new pics and words to post up of adventures had on the SE.

Life has been pretty busy lately, but one thing that I will show off here are my new Caponards from Woodys Wheel Works in Denver, Colorado. Check these babies out ......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Geez! I've no sooner kissed KatieM good bye and I've already forgotten her and find myself ranting on about the 'other' bike.

I meant to post pics of these wheels fitted up sooner, to thank the team at Woody's Wheel Works for doing such an outstanding job making them. They are a 17/19 combo with Conti Road Attacks that have just turned my big arse dirt bike into a street weapon. The ride and feel is awesome. I thought that I may have to make my side stand telescopic to cope with swapping the standard 18/21s over to the smaller diameter wheels, however it was not necessary. They just work. And the stands are fine. These are trick looking wheels. If you find yourself wanting, here's where to find them .....

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/index.shtml

I wanted a second set of rims all set up with sprocket and cush drive, spacers, etc, so all I have to do is pull the axles and swap from these tar hugging babies to 908s, without continually having to swap tyres out on rims each time when we're either doing some tar trips or desert blasts.

So, these wheels (which I haven't been able to remove from the bike, because I'm having too much fun riding this thing on the tar) now make the Erzberg a wicked Motard. It turns in better than with the standard rims on too. I was surprised at how well they handle. I just have to keep a lid on having too much fun with them on. First morning out on them a few months back resulted in a Speeding ticket on the Gorge Road in the Adelaide Hills. The officer was understanding however, and didn't tear too many strips off me, but he did manage to strip some bucks off me though. That hurt!

So, Woody's Wheel Works! Another one of those great companies to deal with who provide excellent, friendly and helpful service. Woody is also a forum member of AdvRider too, so if you want to know more or want to see some pics of other wheels he's done, search him out. He'd only be too happy to help you I'm sure.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've had anything relevant to the continuation of the story contained within this thread to report, but I couldn't let today's significance of losing my original steed go unmentioned.

Looking forward to sharing my next adventure with all soon!

Cheers
  7. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:

Mate , thanks for the story, those SE's are unbelieveable when it comes to handling and front end feel, over the adv's.
    Enjoy.

G2
  8. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    So H1 can you tell us mere mortals the differences between the two bikes now that we know you had BOTH at the same time?

Which bike do you prefer and for what style of riding? I loved your story on the round Oz trip on the 950ADV, but what would it be like on the SE?:D:evil
  9. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    G'day Pete

Your old 950 looks great, much newer than my 990 looks.

Sexy wheels on the SE too.

:thumb
  10. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    g,day pete met you 2yrs ago top hut , with beetle so checked out wheel link if i may ask what was rim set cost deliverd cheers .
  11. HumanOne

Oddometer:
    G'Day jtb!

That's a great question. I've only done about 4,000kms on the SE so far, but my reason for going for the SE over another Adventure 990 for example, is that I know it will suit my needs more suitably for the types of rides I'm likely to being doing from this point onwards.

To live on a bike and travel for 8 months, the Adventure was the bike for sure. It's comfortable, a great road bike, and a great dirt bike at the same time. It surprises you with where it will go and how well and safely it will get you there. But it's not something that happens immediately. You learn to gain confidence each time you push it further. At first the Adventure feels heavy in the front end, but once you master how to ride it through the softer stuff, it just goes there.

Fitting good dirt tyres for dirt trips helps instill confidence a bit quicker on the Adventure. Usually a Dunlop 908 rear and a Michelin Starcross HP4 front, is the best combo I've found so far. These tyres are great offroad and not too bad when you have to hit the tar again either. However the original Pirelli Scorpions will surprise you with where they can go too.

With a windscreen on the Adventure, it is comfortable to ride in all climates. The SE for example will be chilly when riding in Tassie again for example. It will mean I need to carefully consider a decent jacket, liners, layers, etc. On the other hand having no windscreen prevents any 'buffetting' of your helmet, which can happen on the Adventure. Although having full breeze hitting your chest on longer journeys on the SE will tire me quicker for sure.

The real difference with the SE is the motor feels far snappier and aggressive and the front end feels like a little motocrosser. It just feels right on the dirt. Doing a tight u-turn on the SE on the dirt doesn't put your heart in your mouth. It feels light in the front end. However it still sits really firmly on the tar at 200kph :wink:

I still plan to do multi-day trips on the SE, 'cause that's the type of riding I prefer, however it's unlikely I'll be living on the bike for such an extended period of time, like I did back in 06/07, so my gear needs are less. When I lived on the bike I needed to take plenty of clothes and heaps of gear to live comfortably for that amount of time. On the SE I plan to fit a set of Adventure racks to lock a set of Hard case Hepco Beckers into, but I also have a set of Andy Straps Adventure Bags that will most likely be the luggage of choice.

In summary, although I love the SE for myself now and am happy to be out in the wind, and maybe even a bit uncomfortable while I am riding it long distances (if I needed to be really comfortable I'd take the car) the Adventure is really a fantastic off road 'Touring' bike and the SE is really a great off road 'Riding' bike.

I don't think I could have gone straight to an SE without having had the Adventure first. When I first sat on one of these ages ago I felt it was too aggressive for me and my level of riding skill at the time. It seemed too tall and I felt it was something I could hurt myself on.

Now after having ridden the Adventure 80,000kms across all sorts of terrains, I consider my skills to be somewhat better than when I started out with the Adventure and the SE now feels like I'm 'stepping it up'. I am definitely 'ready' for this bike and all it has to offer, and I don't feel at all threatened by it's stance. In fact I love it and feel more at home on the SE now. I feel I've outgrown the Adventure over time. The SE excites me again, in the same way the Adventure first did. It feels like a ballistic missile and I love that it just looks like a big dirt bike.

The other big difference is the Adventure has really smooth shiny bits and there can be a reluctance to 'trash' it by taking to areas where you are not completely confident to get it there without damaging it. The SE has less 'shiny' bits and it won't break my heart if it falls over as much. In which case I'm likely to go further into areas where I may have turned back before.

Hopefully it's not too long before I can continue this thread with some new pics and words. We've got a plan for great ride in 2012. All will be revealed in due course.

Great Question, and I'm sure there's a few interested in a comparison, so thanks for asking.

Cheers,

Pete
  12. KevS69

KevS69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete, That is on awesome looking bike you have, those wheels look very trick, I recon with the road wheels you have got the best of both worlds, I was fortunate enough to have a ride on this one for about sixty k's or so during the Flinders Classic, bloody fantastic
    [​IMG]

& what a great response to the comparison question, see you Thursday night, Cheers Kev
  13. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    H1,

Thanks for taking the time with such an insightful answer!:clap

I look forward to reading more of your adventures on your new pony!:wink:

Thanks!:bow:bow:bow:bow
  14. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    A sad day indeed Pete, but on the happy side you have that sweet Ersberg to punt around (you poor bastard:D) So whens yer next big adventure mate?
  15. sinned

sinned Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Kev, whats the seat cushion on the KTM950SE in the photo (nice looking ride too), comfort, brand, availability? Cheers.
  16. hornet_sv

hornet_sv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks like an Airhawk at first glance.

I tried one on my SV1000S and didn't like it.

So I bought a 990 SMT instead ;)
  17. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I miss HumanOne's regular updates of his journeys. :(:
  18. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:

I actually re read this thread About six months ago Nev

its a cracker! and yes it reminded me of the good old days :deal

I really wanted to catch up with H1 @ poon last year but got busy yarnin to some other reprobates and didnt get to catch up :puke1:puke1

Oh well Guess Ill have to go next year as well :D
  19. Meico640

Meico640 Banned

Oddometer:
    How did I miss thread...

Onnya dude...

Living the dream... Well mine anyway !!!:deal
  20. Idratherberiding

Idratherberiding my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Interesting update.
    ~> I look forward to your new adventures...