'round the Great Lakes plans

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SgtMike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    I could use some help planning my trip. Depart Charlotte, go north through WV, OH, PA, NY, via Niagra Falls, Toronto, around the lakes back thru Min-StPl, into Chicago and back home.
    Time of year for weather, FF's to see/stay with, minimal gear, 1 week to do it.
    Anybody want to go with? Any help is appreciated, this kind of traveling is new to this noob!
  2. NoDirt4Me

NoDirt4Me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Around the Lakes group does a ride around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior each year. They may have some info that would be useful for you.
    http://www.aroundthelakes.net/

Friend and I took a ferry across Lake Michigan and rode around Lake Superior this past July. Weather was pleasant around Lake Superior, maybe almost got rained on once.

Highly recommend the Long Ships Motel in Sault Ste Marie, the Downtowner Motel in Houghton MI, and the Vista Villa in Ludington, MI if your route takes you through those areas. All are clean, reasonably priced, and motorcycle friendly.

If you don't have a mapping program (Streets and Trips or some such) you can click and drag Google Maps to do some quick route planning.

Personally, I think it would be more enjoyable if you could take more than a week, you're looking at a lot of miles!

Fred
  3. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    This trip is roughly a year from now. After looking at maps, roughing it out, looks like an eight day round trip. Lotsa miles, only planning on 4-5 sight seeing stops (Niag.Falls,Toronto,Sualt-St.Mar,Chitown,Indy). I was born in Elgin,IL, folks moved us when I was in 2nd-3rd grade, will probbly stop there.

Keep the insight coming, I need all the help I can get!
  4. PadreComo

PadreComo n00b

Oddometer:
    I would recommend August for the North shore of Lake Superior. By that time the bugs are down. Be sure to allow some time to explore the area. There are some great waterfalls and other sites. Best of luck!
  5. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done a lot of mad cap tours in my day and swear, never again. Imagine riding from New Jersey to Montana and back and seeing, nothing. Just because you have ridden 400, 500 or 750 miles a day does not mean you could or should do it again day after day for a week.

I now vow to take back roads when possible, start early, eat long lunches and visit weird museums on the way. Oh, and if I spend an hour just making one good photograph it's worth it. Photography is my other love and I offen travel with a large format camera.

I have not done the Lake Superior loop but it is on my list. I would want more that eight days starting from NJ.

Sign me; Been there, done that, never again.
  6. carp

carp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    July or August would be good for the Lake Superior portion. It is cooler around the lake. Some stops between Duluth and Thunderbay are Gooseberry state park, see the falls and near the lake, and Judge CR Magney State Park if you want a short hike to see the devils kettle. Grand Marais is beautiful as well. Lots to do in Duluth.
  7. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would almost be inclined to say skip the Minneapolis area. If you circle Lake Superior counter-clockwise, it would be a shame to miss the south shore and the Keweenau Peninsula. Then it would be really nice to go over the Mackinac Bridge and ride south along the east shore of lake Michigan.
  8. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:

+1.....and early august better for north lake superior....past black fly season....take some time...north of S Sault marie to Wawa is prime....and Quimet Canyon, and Silver Islet:thumb

here are a few ride reports from my laps around superior..
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93024

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98072
  9. bg

bg Monster

Oddometer:
    I rode this route this past June so that I would have maximum daylight around the solstice:

[​IMG]

I enjoyed taking 11 up through Hearst in Ontario - it is wild and beautiful up there but not many gas stations.
  10. Phlooburoo

Phlooburoo More Pagan Proclivities!

Oddometer:
    If you're able to make the trip a bit more leisurely, I'd recommend a jaunt through Michigan's upper peninsula. Beautiful scenery throughout (especially all along the southern shore of Lake Superior) and fabulous roads (both paved and dirt). It's slower traveling though, with 55mph limits.