'Round the World with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Aug 8, 2014.

1. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man. I'd like to explore my Aspie-ness more. It's like I've had a personality inside of me that I'm more open to expressing. Everyone--EVERYONE (except my aspie gf, no, even her) really thinks I'm strange. It'll pass for them when they begin to figure out it's what I've been talking about for years.
  2. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will share some (it's mech-related, but no motorbikes), thanks for being curious about it.
    RiderRick, roadcapDen and BadDogMax like this.
  3. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, dmski. Send me an envelope or package (small, please!) with return postage on it and I'll make sure your hands have something to grab onto. PM away.
    fasttortoise and RiderRick like this.
  4. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just realized my previous answers might lead to more questions, which I am happy to address. But my life is and has been fairly boring. From the outside, it appears quite different.

A professor/PhD who had Asperger's, or whatever the DSM called it at the time. I sort of ignored most of it whie arguing about two things that he was most certainly correct about. (The wording needs to be changed.)

Despite what it might look like based on the way I travel, I have a great deal of anxiety. Mostly just around people when I'm put on the spot. I will rush to hand feed a coyote, but the thought of talking to a concierge makes me want to flee in terror.
    BillUA, RiderRick, monsterRS and 6 others like this.
  5. dmski

dmski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM incoming! You're one of ADVriders modern day Pirsigs and I'm glad you've come back to chat. I hope that learning more about the social anxiety part brings clarity, useful tips and even some closure. It already sounds like you've done plenty of self reflection and I'm glad you've come out feeling like you've found a deeper sense of self, meaning and joy. If it's not a story to be relived or retold, then I will respect that. But I certainly am curious why you've chosen to stop riding all together? Riding doesn't have to be and shouldn't be the sole purpose to life, just another way to enjoy the beautiful world we live in. I only ask as I find myself also reflecting on my relationship with motorcycles.
    KHVol, live2ridetahoe, Mofrid and 3 others like this.
  6. kave

kave Gravel rules

Oddometer:
    If I where you I would be looking into this guy, https://thedr.com/b4-information/ as well as https://www.brucelipton.com . Personally I like life choice changes as fixes rather than medication etc. I have had my shares of issues in the past, all getting better by a healthy diet low on sugar and weat etc.
    There is probably a dose of nocebo involved here too.
    There are other biking related stuff to do rather than going 300kph on a Ducati that might be good for you :)
    KHVol and AntiHero like this.
  7. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Through many years of effort and professional help, I came to know that I had a very obvious case of adult ADD with a strong hyper focus characteristic. It's why I dropped out of college, and why one passion after another have fallen by the wayside. I get obsessed with whatever it is that has my interest right now and one day wake up feeling like I'm over it and have to find the next thing to trigger my excitement. I said in a previous post that we're all on the spectrum somewhere and what I've come to accept is that one man's "defect" is another man's super power. My ability to get hyper focused on anything that rose up to my trigger level, is what paid for everything I have in this world - and caused no small amount of tension in my personal life related to things that never triggered my interest (but were really important to tend to). After about 20 years of seeing a great therapist I've developed systems to keep the procrastination and indifference to important things at a minimum. If that sounds at all like what anyone is dealing with, just know that maybe it's because you haven't yet surrendered to your super power :)

Dennis, for you, your super power is definitely story telling through art - your photography that I've followed for years and your painting which I'd love to see more of.
  8. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Glad your still around dude! :beer
    AntiHero likes this.
  9. backoutonthehighway

backoutonthehighway ATGMOTT/MOTGATT

Oddometer:
    Really glad to see you back my friend! I've tried really hard to not tie my self-identity to the motorcycle: to be a guy who rides, not a motorcyclist. I always wanted to make sure that I could emotionally walk away if necessary. Sad to know we'll never get to ride together, but really happy to see that you didn't get stuck in the game. Excited to read more about your journey and what's next.
    KHVol and AntiHero like this.
  10. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I call my red S1000RR the German supermodel because of you, Dennis. Cheers
    AntiHero likes this.
  11. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are doing well.
  12. mumu37

mumu37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear from you Dennis! I was hooked in this RR the first time I saw it, inspired me to also get a Ducati (albeit an older one) which I rode everywhere until it threw a rod ^^. Anyway, I wish you well in your future adventures, two wheels or not!
    KHVol likes this.
  13. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anti, to quote a poet...."there is a road; no simple highway....". Your trip continues; just by different means. Your route now takes you through an inner landscape no less real that the physical continent you crossed on the Ducati. May your journey be a safe one and bring you peace, contentment, and joy.

We realize that we probably won't see you here much, if at all, in the future, but thanks so much for coming back and letting us know how things are going, and how they've been. We'll miss you, but your reports have been inspirational, and will continue to be, and so as long as the forum is up, there will be some AntiHero here.

Safe travels, in every respect.
    motomrider, KHVol, dmski and 3 others like this.
  14. Stravoxylo

Stravoxylo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reading this part made me smile. I realize that your journey was arduous, but I'm glad you found some answers. Wishing you more happiness going forward.
    I think many of us see bits of ourselves in your journey, which is why we followed with genuine interest.
    motomrider likes this.
  15. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear that story regardless. I'm recently diagnosed as mid level Aspergers after a lifetime of leaving wreckage behind me. I've also developed a greater understanding of things as I have got older, so a lot of my life makes sense now. It's a lonely path at times. I think I'll start at the beginning again :lol3
    Bunyip1260 and KHVol like this.
  16. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, this will be my last post, (anything that comes after from AH isn't from me). I'm *mostly* comfortable now speaking to one person at a time, but reading, writing or responding on a forum is unimaginably difficult. Provided it's ok, I'll be relaying answers through another inmate. So stay tuned, please. I'm trying.
  17. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Do your thing Dennis! Have fun and enjoy life :norton
  18. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wishing you all the best Dennis.

Tahoe
    Bunyip1260 likes this.
  19. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, Dennis. I can’t express how strongly all of us want you to have a good and enjoyable life.
    Mofrid and Bunyip1260 like this.
  20. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    No need to respond Dennis. Be well and realize there are lots of people who like you just the way you are. Stay well, stay safe, be cool.
    2wingdoc05 likes this.