'Round the World with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Aug 8, 2014.

1. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because ya never test anything new come race day, I originally did a dry run of my camping gear while still in LA. I ended up in Malibu, which holds a special place in my heart of coal as the first place I stopped on my original C2C trip to take pics.

[​IMG]

So while riding the road less traveled, I happened upon some property for sale guarded by a chain gate. There was, however, about 2' of space between the gate and the gorge on the right. Being that the Panigale is about the same width as one cylinder of a GS meant that not only would my accommodations be free, but the view for the night was mine and mine alone. ADV bike: 0. Panigale: 1.

[​IMG]

Not such a big deal, you say. But keep in mind 4 acres in Malibu could run you 29 million dollars. Of course, for that price you'd also get a 5 bedroom house. Though my abode for the night was a mere studio, minimalism never goes out of style:

[​IMG]

Did I mention the view?

[​IMG]

Tent worked out in Italy as well as it did in Malibu.....only the view required a short walk.
  2. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in Pisa it was dinner time:

[​IMG]

And then, with it sufficiently dark and cool, I set out to wander.

[​IMG]
    (Pisa--home of the X-Men or just a satellite campus for the School of Mutants?)

[​IMG]

Through the Morlock Tunnels:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lesson #153:
    The destination may be alarmingly different than the road that took you there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your journey. Keep posting :D
  5. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Bring it on Anti!

Too bad you got to Genoa at the wrong time... We were there in 2012 and I liked it a lot. A nice hilly town with narrow cobblestone streets and many nice buildings.

Did you stay in that camp in Pisa like 10 mins walking from the tower? Many bikers are staying there -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, do you plan going back north after riding Italia?
  6. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Genova v. "Genoa"....yeah, I think it's something to do with our Brit cousins renaming everything to their taste during the whole "grand tour" craze a couple of hundred years ago. Go to Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, etc and the big river is the Donau, while to us it's "the Danube." Eh? I got all stressed once looking for signs for "Vienna" until I figured out that its actual name in Austria is "Wien" and I was on the correct road after all. Yet somehow the names of French cities and features do not seem to have suffered like this. Is it because the French are better watchdogs or is there some faint pulse resonating in the collective Anglo-American unconscious that recalls that King William I was the Duke of Normandy and Hank Plantagenet, Acquitaine, etc?

You are petty close to Tuscany now, so you may find some good info and routes in dear Tagesk's fine report Riding In Tuscany:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291799&highlight=tagesk
  7. fredgilb

fredgilb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. backoutonthehighway

backoutonthehighway ATGMOTT/MOTGATT

Oddometer:
    Hi Dennis,

Last week I found this ride report, and intrigued, decided to start at the beginning. Consequently, I've spent every free waking minute catching up on Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel and Pacific Northwest with an Italian Supermodel, many moments with tears in my eyes as I read and reread your eloquent expressions of things I’ve experienced, but have never been able to articulate. And it was done with such depth, breadth, and clarity.

From the audacity of taking a Ducati cross country to the sheer balls to take it off road on an apparently daily basis, to the stunning photography, to your rules:

• Don't plan anything that doesn't need to be planned
    • Stay somewhere until I get bored or restless, then move on
    • Don't become attached to anything I can't walk away from in 5 minutes
    • Don't end up in a hospital or morgue

I was impressed – and inspired.

In 2006 the tidy little world I’d spent the last 16 years of my life attempting to create vaporized in moments in a “I want a divorce and oh yeah, I’ve been sleeping with the gardener” moment. And I can honestly say that all I felt in that moment was an overwhelming sense of relief.

Less than six months later I was laid off and my response as a spanking new motorcyclist was to leave the Bay Area with no destination and no plans past meeting a friend in Seattle.

I came home 7500 miles and 35 days later to a new job that was more a continuum of the past than a track to the future. But it was enough to light the fire; the one that refuses to be extinguished.

Shedding the illusion of control and trading predictability for passion I have found is an ongoing effort - and not necessarily an easy one. Each tether, each perception of identity, each self imposed expectation, has required hard work; untying, cutting, sawing, and even gnawing them in two.

As I began to release those expectations and wrestle with what I really wanted out of life, the next layoff occurred. I started my own business so I could have time to ride and even with all the resulting pressure the road stilled called – hauntingly, persistently, “here are the answers – join me.”

90k miles later, I’ve been privileged to watch the sun come up over the Tetons in 26 degree temps watching a herd of hundreds of elk race along the road beside me. I’ve awakened in Yellowstone with the bike the only thing between me and a herd of bison grazing into the campground.

I’ve low sided within sight of the Canadian border crossing in North Eastern Washington, dodged speed traps in Alberta of the “do not pass go” category, and ridden the “best motorcycle road” in BC by sheer luck and the grace of other motorcyclists.

I’ve ridden in flash floods with my helmet all fogged up and my hands and feet completely soaked and freezing. I’ve ridden out of the Rockies being chased by snow.

And I can’t recall for even a moment not feeling ALIVE, ENGAGED, and always IN THE MOMENT.

Thank you Dennis for pointing the way, for taking the time and effort to share, for being vulnerable enough to let us in on your innermost thoughts, and especially for staying a “regular guy.”

May this journey you are on never end, and if it brings you back around to the Bay Area, know that there is always a place here for you to park the bike, surf the couch, and trade stories around the fire pit; even if I’m unlikely to be within a thousand miles of the place. :evil
    Fred Oliff likes this.
  9. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, looks like the place! Heading north soon. Not sure where yet....just North!

Fred: Think low 20K range, not 30k! And yep, my diet over here consists mostly of tuna, eggs and fruits/veggies. Cheap and nourishing. This isn't C2C! Every dollar spent shortens the trip by that much.

Mr. Highway: Thank you. "ALIVE, ENGAGED, and always IN THE MOMENT" is precisely it. It's rarely easy and often not even fun or pleasant. But at least I do feel alive, engaged and in the moment. Certainly. And thanks for the decal and print order, amigo!
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Loving this chapter so far, as usual. More please. :D
  11. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    Hey Anti - how big is the tent inside? I checked the Sprocket site and there's dimensions of it packed up but nothing saying how big it is inside (unless I missed it). One big problem I have with tents is I'm 6'-7" and often can't lie down straight.

Do you have some room at the end of your feet or is it tight?

Ride on, DD
  12. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not do Tuscany and up to Dolomites, or even if you have more time (I assume), you can go NW up to French Alps looping NE all the way thru to Dolomites, while it's not that cold and passes are still open.
    Then you can move south toward Balkans.
    If you need help with cool roads, there are plenty of inmates including myself who can help. Europe is ineradicable. Don't miss out on a good stuff while you there.
  13. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey D--you're gonna need scissors. They'd might make you a custom one, though.

2W--I'm in Tuscany now. Thinking the same way you are, though...Dolomites.

Still have to cover Roma:

[​IMG]
  14. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    Scroll through the pics on the website. There's one with dimensions.
  15. kevdawg

kevdawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dennis:freaky
    Really enjoy reading your R/R ! Italy is on my "List" of places to see.
    Stay safe .

ps. Do you have a link to buy one of those cool Decals?
  16. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    It's in his signature. Antihero artifacts.
  17. RocketAngel

RocketAngel Lost...

Oddometer:
    Every word you write, every picture you take!:clap

Glad you are feeling better and on your way

"Life is a highway" Cochrane
  18. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rainier - exactly what I was afraid of! I did check out their site before asking but was only on my first coffee and must have missed it. Thx for the tip.

Cheers, DD
  19. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today we had an article in our local newspaper, that Rome is empty.

Everybody is in vacation - many shops are closed. So it could be the impressions of a ghost city.
  20. itlives

itlives Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to your bud GreekPT, I'm back on the train. I followed your first flight away from standard life, but lost you somewhere in my standard life.
    Glad to be back.