1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Route 66?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by El Guero, Sep 11, 2007.

1. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody tried to do a Rt. 66 ride? I didn't realize (bein' a youngin) that it had been decommisioned and wasn't really all that well marked anymore. Anybody done this ride? It sounds like fun to me, but it looks like somebody could get pretty lost too.
  2. iyeager

iyeager I lost my avatar...

Oddometer:
    Land of Dorothy and hesitant slave-owners
    Not to mention that where it's still open, it runs through some pretty unsavory neighborhoods.

Ian
  3. el tortuga

el tortuga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In NM, the route is a little sporadic and you have the pre/post 1937 routes. Much of the time you'll ride along side the route on the interstate and there are spots where you can exit and ride the old blacktop. The pre-37 route has the most route-66 "feel" to it but it's quite a bit longer.

jeff
  4. HarleyDude

HarleyDude East Tennessee

Oddometer:
    Spring City, in Eastern TN, Motorcycle Heaven
    If you go online there is a website about Rt 66 and you can download or purchase state by state directions.
  5. boulderbean

boulderbean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Savoir-Faire

Savoir-Faire Powered by Hate

Oddometer:
    I rode Route 66 solo this past spring on a ZX-14. The best turn by turn route is listed in Jerry McClanahan's book "E-Z Guite to Route 66". Be advised that signage is not always there, and while the directions are turn by turn, they can be poorly written or confusing at times. Jerry alo need to learn how to use one font size and an editor. Even then, it's worth it.

Don't try to just follow the Rt. 66 signs. You'll get used to awesome signage in Illinois, but then when you cross into Missouri and beyond, it's a joke. You can get it online at Amazon; here's the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Route-66-EZ66-Guide-Travelers/dp/0970995148/ref=pd_bbs_2/105-4936372-6150827?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189902738&sr=8-2

There's a lot to see and do. I planned for a year and there's stuff I saw and missed. You can PM me offline, and I can give you my email address if you'd like to talk about planning and sights. Additionally, I am in Chicago, and can give you the lowdown on how to get around the city here very well.

I'm young for Route 66 too...I'm 28 this year, and I've wanted to do it since I was 16. It's amazing. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I hear the song (I prefer Depeche Mode's version) and it's an instant smile. I think, "Yeah, I did that."

Here's my ZX (now stolen. I hate bike theives.) at Roy's Motel and Cool Springs Caverns. Should help motivate you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have any questions, just give me a holler. I may take a while to get back to you, but I will answer.

--Savoir-Faire