Route suggestions for cross-country (USA) trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jlevers, Nov 29, 2016.

1. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    You get into a situation where you need help or support, reach out here.
    You will be AMAZED at what can happen.
    jlevers likes this.
  2. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I'm excited about all the people I'm going to meet on this trip...

On an unrelated note, I have a couple logistics questions:

1. How long can I expect tires to last? I have Spitfire S11s on my bike right now. They probably have somewhere in the vicinity of 2000 miles on them.

2. How common is stuff being stolen off of bikes? I can't bring all my gear with me every time I stop, so I'm not sure what to do about that.
  3. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Whoops, just thought of another one: do I need to get something like a sheepskin or one of those bead seats to put on my seat? I've heard that it's much needed on long trips, but I want to make sure before I spend money on it.
  4. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    It does happen, but not that often. Be Smart about where you park. Make sure your bike is in plain sight and you should not have any issues.

5. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Attaboy!

Do the journal / ride report in the evening and you won't have time to feel lonely. (And DO keep a journal; it will become one of the best gifts you can give yourself as you age, and especially when you are old. Log feelings, smells, thoughts, as well as stats like places, roads, dates. Try to capture what your day was like, so you remember it vividly years from now when re-reading it. You'll thank your young self as an older man.)

Also, make good use of the Tent Space Map hosts. You'll meet warm people, have warm dry shelter, and likely form some bonds with soon-to-be life-long friends. That will also take care of the evening time most of us feel any loneliness when traveling alone.
    jlevers and klaviator like this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never had anything stolen off a bike but as some else posted, watch where you park your bike. Bring along a cable bicycle lock and use it to lock your helmet and jacket if you leave them on your bike. I don't remember what luggage you have on your bike but a lockable tail trunk really come in handy and there are some really inexpensive ones out there.

As for a ride report. Use it to show what you have done but also use it to plan ahead. This is one of the best ways to involve your followers. First they can help you plan and second it greatly increases the chance of meeting up with some of them along the way. Remember that a ride report is a two way means of communication. The more popular ride reports have a lot of interaction between the OP and the readers.

I have never used the tent space map but it seems like a great way to meet people along the way.
    jlevers likes this.
  7. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of getting these Chase Harper saddlebags that were mentioned a few pages back -- any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations? I definitely can't afford anything pricier than that, but I decided it would make my trip a lot easier if I had some proper luggage.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    kingofZroad likes this.
  9. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    One issue I'm beginning to realize is that I don't actually know how much storage space I need. Do you know how much (in your preferred units) carrying capacity you personally need for a long trip? I have a really big dry bag that's probably 80L or so (courtesy of @rickj), and a 25L Osprey backpack.
  10. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Cycle Gear saddlebags also have rain covers. The Chase Harper ones apparently don't come with them and they must be purchased separately.
  11. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For reference, I have a total capacity of 195 liters on my bike for moto-camping trips.
    BMW panniers - 82 liters
    Lg Enduristan bag - 51 liters
    (2) Sm Enduristan bags - 40 liters
    Tank bag - 22 liters

I also place a bungee-style cargo net on top of the Lg Enduristan bag, which is great when you pick up some groceries or need a place to throw a jacket, etc.

I hope this helps!

Rick
  12. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks! I like the capacity of the Chase Harper bags, but having to buy rain covers is not selling me on them. I'm now looking at these...
  13. Gripsteruser

Gripsteruser Got a handle on it

Oddometer:
  14. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Great info, thanks! I guess I have 115L right now (dry bag, backpack, and tank bag), and I'd like to add quite a bit to that (although I pack pretty light) so I want saddlebags that are at least 40L in total, preferably more. If anyone has bags in that size range that they really like, I'm all ears!
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's been nearly a month. How's the trip planning going?
  16. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm totally ready to go, but my bike isn't cooperating...I have a part coming on Wednesday that replaces the CDI with a more reliable and modern ignition (I think it's TI but not sure). That will make it so that any issues with my stator, coils, and CDI box are eliminated. My hope is to install on Wednesday, test ride on Thursday, and leave on Friday.

I was supposed to leave a week ago, and I'm not thrilled with the delay, but I don't really have any time constraints now that my cousin isn't coming on the whole trip.
  17. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jesse.. be sure and read your email about the Ti upgrades.. it is not compatible with many of the CDI parts already on your bike..!!
  18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    jlevers likes this.
  19. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark! Just read through that RR, it's a good one.

A quick update: that part isn't coming till tomorrow :dirtdog, which is why I haven't started my own RR yet (although I've already written the intro -- just don't want to post it in case my bike isn't working after tomorrow).
  20. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Today's update: the new coils (which is what I ended up with instead of the Ignitec I thought I was getting, long story there) made the bike work pretty well above ~7k, but still run like crap below that. With that in mind, I think I'm going to bomb down to NC to a guy who knows everything about these bikes, have him get it running smooth, and ride back, and THEN begin my trip. I'll update further as I know what's going on...