Route suggestions for cross-country (USA) trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jlevers, Nov 29, 2016.

1. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Good Luck!!!
    jlevers likes this.
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    any way you look at it, it's going to be an adventure! good luck!
    jlevers likes this.
  3. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Ok, new plan! On further investigation, my bike is overheating when it runs for much more than 15 minutes. This is either a) a faulty 7V regulator for the temp gauge or b) the thermostat not opening for some reason. So, not riding it down.

But! I found a guy on Craigslist who's driving a moving truck to Floriday, and can trailer the bike down to Murray, the CX500 guru in NC. He'll be picking it up on Thursday night or Friday morning. At Murray's request, I'm not going down there until next week, so that he has some time to get all the parts together he might need. He's the man for making time in his crazy schedule to fix my bike (I'm guessing for pretty damn cheap, too). This guy has sent me all sorts of free parts in the past...can't overemphasize how generous he is. Anyways, I'll be flying down there (flights are as cheap as bus rides!), where he's picking me up from the airport and we're finishing up the bike. Then, I'm hoping he'll let me do some manual labor around his shop to start to pay him back...

On that note, anyone have tips for tying down a bike in a (probably pretty full) moving truck? Probably can't do what I'd like to do, which is tie it down in the center with straps going out to either wall. Is it ok to just tie it to one wall with lots of padding?

Wow, I fucking hate waiting around...
  4. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Creative solution (hopefully)! So, the bike travel adventure begins, though maybe not as planned, lol!

Sent you a PM re: possible ways to tie down in the truck.
    jlevers likes this.
  5. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be sure to trust your gut on the person driving the moving truck! You don't want to be minus a Honda..
  6. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Yeah, he seems to be a little awkward, but totally nice. Murray (from the CX500 forum) suggested that I get a picture of his driver's license and the truck before he leaves, which seems like a good idea.
    oldtouring B likes this.
  7. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Well, the fuckers with that truck basically doubled the price at the last second, and then lied about a lot of stuff. They then returned closer to their original offer, but I had absolutely no faith in anything they said after that. So tomorrow I'm going to a local shop. RIP my bank account, but at least there'll be noticeable progress.
    oldtouring B likes this.
  8. oldtouring B

Oddometer:
    Try to find a good independent mechanic rather than a dealer..
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Damn! At least the whole deal fell apart before you gave them your bike!
  10. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I'm going to ride to this place today: http://www.berkshirecycle.com

They seem to specialize in vintage bikes, and most importantly, they're not super far away.
  11. oldtouring B

Oddometer:
    From their reviews you picked the right place!
    jlevers likes this.
  12. packn4alivin

packn4alivin packn4alivin

Oddometer:
    If you come through the Yellowstone park area you should hit beartooth pass, and if you need tent space near idaho falls I've got plenty of space.
    flei and jlevers like this.
  13. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Thanks! If I come through up there I'll definitely do both of those things.
  14. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Ok, plans changed again, and I'm currently in a rented pickup driving to NC with my bike in the back. Since my mom's a teacher and doesn't have work (and is the best mom ever), she's driving down 12 hours down and 12 back since I'm not old enough to rent a vehicle. I'll be riding back in a few days when my bike is sorted...glad to finally be moving!

[​IMG]
    oldtouring B likes this.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    At least you're on the road finally! How did the ramp work out? Please post youtube video of any loading fails. :D
  16. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I'm back (a lot sooner than expected. Bike is running well, although there are still a few minor fixes that need doing. I should be on the road by Tuesday at the very latest.
    flei likes this.
  17. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Details Man Details

What was it?
    What did ya have to fix?
  18. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Sorry, that was just a quick post from my phone while in the car.

It was something having to do with the wiring from the stator to the CDI -- neither I nor Murray is sure exactly what, but when we plugged in the Ignitech it worked, so that spoke for itself. It feels like the bike gained a very substantial amount of power between that and the internal engine fixes I did (replaced cam chain/tensioner blades, stator, and mechanical seal). While I was there he also noticed a lot of little things wrong with the bike, like the airbox boots being swapped and not installed properly, some sketchy and non-factory ground points, and lots of other little things that make me think the PO did a major hack job on this bike. It also appears to have a '78 motor in a '79 frame, but the engine serial is from '79, so...not sure what's up with that.

Murray left me with a list of maintenance items to do:
    - Oil cables
    - Flush cooling system and possibly replace radiator (he gave me a spare)
    - Clean up some surface rust
    - Clean up wiring
    - Synchronize carbs (not sure when I'm gonna do that, I don't have a manometer)
    - Replace final drive oil

I think that's everything...
  19. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    It sounds to me like it was a LOT of smaller stuff that alone and by itself would not bother but they all came into play a the same time with one piling ontop of the other.

I would take care of the short list you have as you go...One thing at a time.

Good Luck
    Ride Safe.
    jlevers likes this.
  20. Joezeph

Joezeph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BLAST is the right word for getting across OK, the blast from the constant south to north 100'f 40mph sidewind (across your east to west flight path) is only superseded by the BLAST across the Texas panhandle!!!
    l know there is no other way to get from AR to NM & CO but l can tell you from experience that these are NOT enjoyable routes that merely get you from A to B!!!

Here is the only thing (on my direct hwy60 route) that is worth looking at, the salt flats at Jet, OK.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jlevers likes this.