Route suggestions for cross-country (USA) trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jlevers, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not clear to me when you will be doing this ride. You are brave to take a ride like this on an old bike that you don't know inside and out. But then the upside of a big ride on an old bike is you can always abandon it and get on a plane without losing much, if it comes to that LOL. Let's hope it doesn't. If you find yourself in the vicinity of Utah and in need of help with that old CX shoot me a PM here. I have a 1980 CX500, and although mine has not given me any trouble (knock on wood), I know a little about them and can turn a wrench.
    jlevers and flei like this.
  2. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's less than a day's work. For the carb sync, you just need about 20 ft of clear vinyl tubing from any Home Depot or similar, and a little coolant or transmission fluid. It takes more time to set up and is messier than a manometer or CarbTune, but you can do it this way for about $4 anywhere in the world and it'll work for any twin cylinder bike.
    [​IMG]
    First, mark the EXACT center of the length of tubing.
    Put in enough fluid to fill about 4-5 ft of the length.
    Hang the tubing so the fluid is at the low point, coming up each side from the low point. In the photo, the tubing is hanging from a garage door track.
    Attach each end to a carb vacuum port.
    Hang a weight from your center mark. I used a pair of vise grips hanging from a loop of wire. Again, you want this to be exactly half way between the ends of the tubing.

I just checked and there are a number of web pages and Youtube videos on where the ports and screws are to adjust the CX500 carbs. You'll simply adjust till the fluid is the same height in each of the tubes.
    jlevers likes this.