Route suggestions for cross-country (USA) trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jlevers, Nov 29, 2016.

1. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @pranajerni: good to know. I think I'll just stick with my original plan of taking 441 from Bryson to Townsend (cutting off the corner with Fighting Creek Gap Road), and then 321 from Townsend to the Foothills Pkwy, which will bring me to the dragon.

@High Country Herb: yeah, I do definitely plan on riding that section of Highway 1. Unfortunately, I can't buy beer, although I might get a fake for this trip for the purpose of things like this. Incidentally, do you listen to This American Life? I'm pretty sure Lagunitas sponsors them, and I'd heard the name a million times but never knew where they were.

@The Opa: interesting, I've never heard anything but praise for the BRP. Do you really think it's that bad?
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Oops. Great, now I'm contributing to the delinquency. :shog

Well if you like oysters, that stretch is great for that too. There are a couple of places right on the water that are pretty cool, but somewhat pricey and completely booked up on weekends with SF Bay Area folks. OK on weekdays, though. There is a no-frills one that is off the beaten path called Bodega Bay Oyster Company, but no view of the ocean.

I listen to This American Life occasionally, but haven't heard the ad. They are opening up more locations around the country, but Petaluma is the original.
    jlevers likes this.
  3. pranajerni

pranajerni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you're already bryson city way just role up 28 to 129 hit the dragon from the south run up and back turn on tapoco go by santeela lake to robinsbville then the back way out of robbinsville to murphy. no need to go 441 all the way to townsend. 28 to 129 is great, could even do a little loop at stecoha gap towards lake fontana and back to 129 before the the dragon. short little 3-4mile loop. nice road .

check these suggestions with a slite zoom on google maps. you'll see they are easy to run out and still on your way. no lost time just great motorcycle roads off the dragon path but leading to it and away. if you want i short hike check out joyce kilmer for some other worldly very rare old growth popular and hemlock forrest.

the roads in this area are world class driving you can not go wrong but would be served to not run 441 unless your coming from the north. stay out of gatlinburge and pigeon forge.and the park if you can. also some free forrest service camping the above region as well as designated campgrounds.
    jlevers likes this.
  4. jlevers

Oddometer:
    @High Country Herb, don't sweat it :lol3 I'm not that delinquent. I'll be sure to check that area out...it sounds beautiful.

@pranajerni, I had 441 -> Foothills Pkwy recommended to me earlier in this thread. Do you think that 28 is a more fun ride than that? I'll also definitely check out that hike you mentioned...I love hikes, especially in deep forest.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  5. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    @The Opa: interesting, I've never heard anything but praise for the BRP. Do you really think it's that bad?[/QUOTE]

Oh my, the BRP is absolutely one of the best roads anywhere! My comment was to run the BRP all the way to the end (Cherokee), then turn left and head for the Cherohala or Deals Gap. The gravel bit is just an alternative route for the last few miles of the BRP.

It's Cades Cove that I would stay away from. And 441 for that matter, lots of cage traffic in and between Gatlinburg and Cherokee.

Sorry if I added confusion. Enjoy your trip!
    jlevers likes this.
  6. pranajerni

pranajerni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah check your map.

i think opa and i are suggesting something similar to keep you out of a bunch of traffic, giving a little more direct route to the dragon but still on good roads. i would say from cherokee to 129 on 28 would be four lane sweepers through and to gods country.

sorry to take you off route [441] but if you are in and around cherokee at the end of the brp its a little more direct with no real loss and you could do an up and back on the dragon. you really can not go wrong, check your map and millage to see how it looks to you.

and yes joyce kilmer forest is worth a look. it could be very shor to the old growth that barely exists in the east. it would be cool to remember back on those trees and poem while you are in the redwoods of the west weeks later.

you are doing an admirable job taking everyones routes into consideration. it will be great to have a bunch of options once you arrive into a certain area and make your choices in the moment relative to what feels good. thanks for your questions. it takes me back to a place that feels more like home than where i grew up. good luck.
    jlevers and The Opa like this.
  7. jlevers

Oddometer:
    Whoops, sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah, definitely sounds like I'll be avoiding Cades Cove and 441. Thanks for the good wishes!

Ok, I'll be avoiding 441 based on what you and Opa have said. I took a look at the map and it cuts off about 200 miles, and if it avoids traffic, I'm all for it.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about the contrast between the eastern old growth and the western redwoods. It'll be cool to have seen both in a short period of time.

Hah, I've never had anyone thank me for asking questions, but you're welcome! Thanks for answering. I sure do have a lot of them, and no doubt more will come.
    The Opa likes this.
  8. jlevers

Oddometer:
    In case anyone's still watching this thread, I have a logistics question...

My cousin's bike needs to get shipped back to the east coast once we're done. Is there any way to do this that isn't insanely expensive?
  9. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    You can crate it and leave it at my place for shipping if you'd like....if it's far enough west. Not sure how much shipping would be - hopefully someone else will chime in.
  10. jlevers

Oddometer:
    That's a very nice offer, although I think you're a little far away -- around 1500 miles from where we're ending. The reason for shipping the bike back is that we want to be able to ride across the whole country, but my cousin doesn't particularly want to ride all the way back on his own, on a 400cc bike. But again, thanks for the offer!
  11. jlevers

Oddometer:
    I'm going to reawaken this thread now that I'm getting a little closer to departure. I'm currently doing a major overhaul on my bike...replacing the cam chain/tensioners, stator, mechanical seal, and other miscellaneous issues that CX500's often have. I found a totally destroyed washer floating around in the engine, which I wasn't happy about. I so far have no idea what it's from.

A couple of people have suggested that I put out another request for gear. I feel a little weird about this, but I don't really have the spare money to pass up an opportunity to use free gear. At this point, I mostly need bags/panniers for carrying stuff (and maybe a big battery pack). If anyone has extra bags that would fit my bike or my cousin's that they're willing to lend me, the gear would be very much appreciated. Huge shoutout to @oldtouring B for lending us two pairs of pants and gloves...Thank you so much!

Finally, just looking for any alternatives to Route 101, since the route I have planned right now has us taking 101 up basically the entire west cost.

Thanks everyone!
  12. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems that you have 3 options.. 101---I-5--- and 395 east of the mountains.. Mother Nature just closed highway 1.

Personally I prefer 395. Lots of free camping..
  13. jlevers

Oddometer:
    We were actually only planning to be on Highway 1 for the part north of SF, and from what I've read, we should be ok there. I'll take a look at 395, thanks!
  14. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hwy 395 is great, with beautiful views of the snowy Sierras, but just be aware that it can get pretty hot.
  15. jlevers

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks!

I did a little more looking into possible routes, and I found that there's lots of tiny roads going through the coastal CA/OR mountains, so I'm thinking about doing something like this: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/Ht23fE

The route linked to above no longer shows the route all the way to Whistler, but that's still the destination. It just made it easier to work with the rest of the west coast route if I removed the final destination in Furkot.
  16. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't read thru the entire thread, so this might have been covered. But be aware that distances in NV can be huge. Make sure you have enough fuel. And you might want to call the store at Hite, UT just to make sure they have fuel, if you're counting on it, because there have been times when they didn't.

Have fun.
    jlevers likes this.
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saying there are only 3 options is misleading there are roads on the western side of the Sierras as well. State Hwy 49 follows the foothills through many of the old gold mining towns. The smaller pass roads across the Sierras are still closed and will be for sometime due to heavy snows, there is a thread discussing the passes: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...016-2017-edition.1191265/page-5#post-32345624
    jlevers likes this.
  18. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode up 395 last week for the first time. The view is nice but it's a freeway. I would rather ride 49, especially on a small bike. As long as I wasn't in a hurry.
    jlevers likes this.
  19. jlevers

Oddometer:
    The conflict I'm experiencing is that I'd like to ride Hwy 1 from SF north, but once I get to 101 there aren't many immediate options for cutting east. The route I shared above has me on 1 -> 101, then taking 36 to 96 after Avenue of the Giants, and finally noodling through a couple hundred miles of tiny back roads/forest roads into Oregon, where I intersect 101 again. I'm not at all attached to getting back on 101...it just seemed to make geographic sense with the back roads I found.

I'm assuming that basically all roads that are going to open will be open by mid-August. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?
  20. jlevers

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thank you. I have a ~200mi range (maybe a little less), and my cousin has substantially less range. Hopefully we won't have to be pushing our bikes through the desert :lol3