Route suggestions for cross-country (USA) trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jlevers, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode up 395 last week for the first time. The view is nice but it's a freeway. I would rather ride 49, especially on a small bike. As long as I wasn't in a hurry.
    jlevers likes this.
  2. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    The conflict I'm experiencing is that I'd like to ride Hwy 1 from SF north, but once I get to 101 there aren't many immediate options for cutting east. The route I shared above has me on 1 -> 101, then taking 36 to 96 after Avenue of the Giants, and finally noodling through a couple hundred miles of tiny back roads/forest roads into Oregon, where I intersect 101 again. I'm not at all attached to getting back on 101...it just seemed to make geographic sense with the back roads I found.

I'm assuming that basically all roads that are going to open will be open by mid-August. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?
  3. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thank you. I have a ~200mi range (maybe a little less), and my cousin has substantially less range. Hopefully we won't have to be pushing our bikes through the desert :lol3
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will have no snow related pass closure issues by late August.

That section of the 101 isn't bad really, it still goes through awesome country, and it doesn't have much in the way of traffic.
  5. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
  6. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Another (totally unrelated) question: any tire suggestions? I'm going to be on pavement 99% of the time, but I really know nothing about tires. Right now I have Bridgestone S11's...I can't really say if I like them or not, since I've never experienced anything else. I also can't find how many miles these tires are rated for...they have like 2000mi on them right now. If they're rated for 10000, then I just won't change them.
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 101 is 2 lanes in each direction but like I said in Northern California it isn't that bad of a drive at all. I use Google Maps and select the street view (the little yellow man in the lower right corner). Drag and drop the little man to see exactly what jus about ANY spot along your route looks like fro a 360 view!
    jlevers likes this.
  8. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of saddle bags are you looking for? With more details, I'll look around and see what I've got.

If you have to make some on the cheap, consider going to an army surplus store and looking for any bags about the ideal size. Then bolt them to a firm waterproof backer board, and strap that to your cycle. Line them with contractor trash bags for waterproofing.
  9. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I'm honestly pretty much fine with anything. I guess it would have to be the kind that doesn't mount on a special rack, since I don't have one of those. I do have a very small luggage rack that fits on the back. Sorry I can't be more specific, I just don't really know anything about saddlebags.

That's a good idea! I'll keep that in mind, and might just do it.
  10. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Without searching through 9 pages here, what are your travel dates?
  11. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Roughly 7/15 to 8/20, maybe going a little bit later than that.
  12. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Well, I have some unfortunate news -- my cousin actually won't be able to come any farther than North Carolina. I'm struggling to decide if I still want to do the rest of the trip on my own. I'm just not sure I'd enjoy being on my own for that long. I'm leaning towards still going, but I'm just not sure.
  13. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you should postpone your trip, I encourage you to still take your trip while you are YOUNG. I moved across the country when I was barely 20 and I remember how new and exciting it was. It was a time in my life that Ive never replicated.

14. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least do to NC and back. You're young and you'll have time to explore lots more later. But I will caution you that education, family, career and money become impediments as you age. Just don't procrastinate too much.

Also ... I think your proposed trip (MA-BC-MA) in four weeks doesn't give you enough time to do all you want. One thing I've learned is to be flexible, i.e. if the weather sucks to the south, give yourself time to go north instead. I think you'll better enjoy it if your next trip would be a bypass NC/TN/AR and just high-tail it to CO and then spend two weeks there (and in UT). Then do the CA/OR/WA coast another trip (that alone would take 2-3 weeks to do it justice).

On the plus side, traveling in "episodes" rather than trying to see everything in one go, is much easier. You'll learn so much about bike travel from your trip to NC, which you can apply to your future (and grander) trips. Everything from bike choice to riding gear, how to pack, where to stay, who to travel with, etc. which will incrementally make each trip better.

For example, today your budget might be a mediocre Sedici (cycle gear) jacket that leaks after 30 minutes in the rain, but you don't care because you're young. In a couple years you'll have dropped some serious coin on a 1-pc Roadcrafter that keeps you dry in all weather and that's great because as you've aged you've lost the tolerance for being wet and cold. Etc etc etc.
    rickj likes this.
  15. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Regardless of whether or not I ride there, I'm definitely moving across the country (I'm taking a gap year before college). At least at the moment, I feel pretty committed to trying to make my life as open to adventure as possible, even if that means way less money or other sacrifices.

I'm leaning towards still going, but yeah, if I don't, I'll definitely still do the first section.

I'm not coming back to MA afterwards...I'm living in WA (or maybe moving around on the west coast, but definitely staying on that side of the country) for the next year or so.

My gear/bike choice is very much constrained by budget...I've spent the better part of the last month getting my bike ready to go. I just started reinstalling the engine last night.

I certainly have heard from a lot of people to make sure to get out and travel while I can, so I'm going to be doing as much of that as possible.
  16. Gripsteruser

Gripsteruser Got a handle on it

Oddometer:
    Slider17k, klaviator and jlevers like this.
  17. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    "Carpe Diem!"
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My advice is to go for it. Start a ride report before you go and update it as you go. You won't really be alone. First you will have people following along in your report. Second you will most likely get the chance to meet some of those people following along. Some may even ride with you for a day or so. Third, when you travel on a bike you will meet random people on the road. If don't do it now life will probably get in the way and you may not have the chance to do a trip like this again until you retire.
    Slider17k likes this.
  19. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Dont over think this
    Just GO
    The ride report is a great idea!
  20. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Ok, you have me convinced...fuck it, I'm going.

I'll definitely do a ride report along the way.
    Slider17k likes this.