Route Suggestions -- Ouachita/Ozarks to coast and all around the SE USA...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by glasswave, Jun 4, 2021.

1. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I am a month into a 3.5 month road trip around the perimeter of the USA. I have come from Salt Lake to San Diego-AZ-NM-TX and into LA via the coastal roads in my 2010 Nissan 370z Roadster convertible that I purchased for this trip.

I have made my way North of Texarkana and done the "Talimena Scenic Drive" through the Ouachita Mnts to Mene, AR. Tommorrow, head to Russleville, then on to the Ozarks.Route suggestions for the Ozarks?

After touring the Ozarks, I'll head toward Tennessee while working my way toward the coast at about Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA.

I want to see the interesting places in the Carolinas, VA, WV and Kentucky along with visiting the cities like DC, Philedelpha and NYC as I make my way towards Maine, before heading West through the Northern States.

I am wanting to take fun, scenic back roads and don't mind going up, down and round about, but would prefer to avoid long cherry stems. I am basically hoteling it on this trip, but do have a minimalist camping kit with me. In the 370z, long dirt roads are not a good option. :(

Seeking -- I am interested in Rivers (especially whitewater rivers), mountains, scenery, historical sites and twisty back roads that make for splendid, spirited, top down motoring.

Turn offs -- mean cops, mean people, long road construction delays, congestion and expensive places with nowhere cheap to sleep. That said, I do plan to visit the cities as well.

Please point me toward the best, scenic route for spirited, top down driving in a quick little roadster.

Google map route links are very, very much appreciated if you care to spend a little time penciling out a dream route for me.

I am completely new to these areas, so any help the community can provide is gratefully received.

Thanks,
    glasswave

>
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
  3. carbonjunky

carbonjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. carbonjunky

carbonjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey , my neighbor has a couple of z cars and is very active in a z club here in north georgia atlanta area. I will ask him for some info for you. there is tons of routes in the north Georgia mountains Tennessee and western N.C. with awesome views and fun twisties and the folks around there are super friendly
    glasswave likes this.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    In TN-Cherahola Skyway is VG as is that entire area it leads into. TN-68 from the entry to the skyway down into the GA mtns or any road leading into the mtns from it is also VG. Another standard response i give is www.visitvirginiamountains.com which has several hundred mile day trips centered on Marion, VA-all scenic, all twisty and where you mentioned. WV is yet another state with much to offer.
    Take every road marked scenic in an atlas there and you'll never leave that state this summer...
    Spirited driving makes for expensive insurance? :nod I was once a sports car guy and had the tickets to back that up. Cops LOVE sports cars.:wink: maybe more than MC's.
    glasswave likes this.
  6. carbonjunky

carbonjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. carbonjunky

carbonjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    go to the face book group Mountain Drives GA. and look at " The North Georgia Loop "
  8. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for your help so far. Sorry that things have kept me away from the internet.

Yesterday I advanced from Memphis to Chattanooga. Today I am heading up the Ocoee then through the Chattahoochee NF and then down to Savannah. I plan to head up the coast to Charleston or Myrtle Beach before heading back West through the Carolinas, to the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Special thanks to carbonJ. I don't do facabook, but I thing I have a decent route to Savanah chosen.

Any and all suggestions are helpful, so please feel free to add to this thread as I will be in the SE for awhile yet to come.