Route Trip info Al, Ga, Ky, Tn, W.Vir. NC

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by EbarDP48, Jan 12, 2007.

1. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    I started the thread below in the east regional section, but maybe I should have posted it here. Any suggestions?:ear

Route planning thru AL, TN, KY,and GA
    I'm planning a route for a trip in the fall to AMA headquarters in Ohio from Florida. 90% should be back road pavement with a little hard packed dirt thrown in. The AMA has a Motocross exhibit that I'd like to see before they pull the plug on it in Jan 08.
    I'm thinking about heading up into Ga. on 98 then West to 49 and head North through Al. This will take me thru the Cheaha Stata Park in the Talladega N.F.
    From there I'm open to suggestions for the trip North to Ohio.
    On the return trip I will head East Southeast into W. Virginia and end up catching the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Unless other roads are suggested, I'll hop off the BRP West of Ashville and head south into Ga. where I'll make my way through the North Ga. Mountains.
    Suches, Dalonega, Helen...something like that. After that it's a route of 441 or 211 (If I remember) south back into Florida.

Any suggestions?
    Bert
  2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I'm not sure where you are coming into the state of GA, but I can give you a really nice back road route from Franklin, GA over to Cheaha State Park. It's a route I ride often and know it well.

Also, if you come through GA near LaGrange, I can assist with some back roads getting you from there to Franklin. I commute to work on back roads between LaGrange & Newnan. If you are coming in farther from the East, I can probably assist there too as have some nice rides over to the Pine Mountain area near Hamilton, GA which takes you through FDR state park and areas near there and I know a lot of those roads too.
  3. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    I know the cheaha area pretty well and the Franklin area. I would love to have a route between the two.:clap
    Bert
  4. Dirty450

Dirty450 Dirt makes me giddy

Oddometer:
    Hey Ebar, I would think more folks would have chimed in on NC sections as there are likely lots of opinions here. But here is mine :D.

We ride lots of DS on forest roads of Pisgah NF, Grandfather district near Blowing Rock, NC. Depending on the time you have there are some really beautiful and sweepy fireroads in the area that range in elev from 4000 ft down to 1200? or so. I could recommend an easy but scenic fireroad loop that would take you from the Town of Blowing Rock, to the SE into the Park or maybe a 30 mile fireroad run, then a short jaunt back up a twisty 4 lane to the BR Parkway for the trip home.

The Parkway between Blowing Rock and the Jonas Ridge area is some of the most scenic IMHO so you would likely want to cruise that section of the Parkway as well. And if slow paved bank turns is really what you crave try 2 lane Hwy 221 from Blowing Rock to Grandfather Mtn, then back on the Parkway. For a crude map see: http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/map4.htm.

Feel free to PM me as this is just a high level quick utterance as I really ought to get back to work.

Cheers, Dirty
  5. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    You did it right, this poor neglected spot really for tracks, but let's hope you get lucky.
  6. Pharwaylok

Pharwaylok Sing me Spanish Techno...

Oddometer:
    Are you interested in 2-lane or 4-lanes? Will you be in a hurry?

From Columbus grabbed US 33 south through Athens and follow that into WV.

Grab about 33 miles of I-77 south to Charleston and hop onto US 119 South, which will take you to SE Kentucky/Western Virginia/N. Tennessee area.

For more a taste of the coalfields...

Or if you want to turn east and grab the Blue Ridge, follow 119 South about 30 miles to Danville/Madison, turn on WV 85 South. Take WV 85 south 45 miles to Oceana.

Turn south on to WV Rt. 10 about 10 miles to Pineville WV. Catch Rt. 16 South a mile or two out of town, toward Welch, WV.

Follow WV Rt. 16 19 miles to Welch. Turn SE on to US 52 to WV 103. Stay on 103 for 11 miles, to WV 161.

Stay with 161 for nearly 10 miles, to WV 644 and when you enter Va. turn left-south onto Va. 16.

You'll hit US 460 before you've gone another 7 miles. From there you'll be close to the Blue Ridge or I-77 south.

Enjoy
  7. spatch

spatch n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Blue,
    I am looking for good riding in the area - pm'd ya
  8. Reynard38

Reynard38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably too late on the reply here but I just rode GA Hwy 41 (Not US 41) from SE of Newnan GA all the way to the SW corner of the state on my way to Seaside FL. Great rode. All 2 lane and on a Sunday morning 20 minutes between car sightings. Highly reccomended!