Routr 66 on motorcycle in winter (Jan.~Feb. 2016)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by johnwan12, Dec 29, 2015.

1. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode San Francisco to Daytona (and Key West) and back the end of Feb for Bike Week in 2008 in 15 days and never got wet.
    Considered ourselves very lucky.
    With current weather and road conditions I would not even consider it this year.
    Maybe things will settle down by the time you plan to make this trip but I would not count on EL Nino to co-operate.

Consider flying to San Francisco (it's on your way home) and ride Northern
    California heading south and visit Baja Mexico (really just an extension of California ,easy border crossing, paved roads and they take dollars $$$).
    Plenty cool in Nor-Cal but warmer on coast and down south.

Offer to all visitors to the USA.
    I have a 2005 BMW R1150RT with 24000 miles owned by a fellow from Ireland and registered in CA stored in my garage For Sale $6500USD.
    He made 3 trips around the US on it.
    Maybe you want to invest the $2500 2 week rental fee and actually own a USA motorcycle and make return trips during better weather seasons.
    Couple of 2 week trips and motorcycle pays for it's self plus still has resale value.
    Many storage facilities around the USA to park it, currently free storage in my garage.

Stop by when in Nor-Cal
    www.visitlodi.com

Safe Travels
    johnwan12 likes this.
  2. johnwan12

johnwan12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Sinclair,

Keep in touch, but the weather looks good, please see the following:

1.) Miami Florida: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/miami-fl/33128/january-weather/347936?monyr=1/1/2016
    2.) Austin, Texas: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/austin-tx/78701/january-weather/351193?monyr=1/1/2016
    3.) Los Angeles: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/los-angeles-ca/90012/january-weather/347625?monyr=1/1/2016
    Regards

John
  3. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Bikerboy108, thanks for the information, it's much appreciated. Regards John
    Hi Damonk45, I can handle all road condition except ice. The weather looks very promising, please see the following:

1.) Miami Florida: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/miami-fl/33128/january-weather/347936?monyr=1/1/2016
    2.) Austin, Texas: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/austin-tx/78701/january-weather/351193?monyr=1/1/2016
    3.) Los Angeles: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/los-angeles-ca/90012/january-weather/347625?monyr=1/1/2016
    Thanks

Regards

John
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Glad you nixed the 66 route, it's crap anyway. I understand the allure but the reality is awful. You MUST keep on or below the 10 freeway on your way across, even then it's going to be cold. You will get rain in Texas, maybe ICE.
    You'd buy a DR650 in Los Angeles and ride the length of Baja if you were me....or if you were me you would do what you do...OK, if I was you I'd ride like you. Either way have a good one and keep in touch....do an Epic Ride report....even if you are on a Harley! If you contact me I can put you in touch with an Aussie who just did something similar, except in summer, he may have some good tips. I am fettler@hotmail.com

Our sister lives in Austin Texas it is noted for it's ICY roads.
    It froze last night here in Claremont, 35 miles east of Los Angeles.

You know you could get a bike in Miami and ride to the KEYS? It's 85F down there right now.
    johnwan12 likes this.
  5. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi James,

Thanks for your information. Absolutely, I will take any sensible option , particularly the weather in USA is not that great, flood in Oklahoma at moment. I may ride on motorcycle from Miami to San Antonio, then check the weather and then decide if I should "hole up" or switch to a car and finish the rest of Texas hill country on car, then switch back to motorcycle for the rest of journey whenever I possibly can . Any idea/suggestion where (San Antonio or Huston) I should do the "switch" if the weather is not that great , that would be really helpful.

I would love to have some advice from the fellow Aussie rider who just did the something similar, my email is john7wan@gmail.com.

Thanks again.

Regards

John
  6. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    John.. Once you have your route planned then go to a website called Yelp .. There is all the motel info you need with good reviews..

If you find yourself near Albuquerque New Mexico, you are welcome to stay with us.. Ride safe.
    johnwan12 likes this.
  7. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug,

I will keep an eye on the weather , particularly mid west, if the worst comes to worst, I probably just ride via east coast line including Key west, Miami, Carolina, New Jersey, New York, but not sure about the weather or/and this route, is there anyone did this route before? I would love to hear from you.

The option of buying a motorcycle is very attractive , I would love to ride in north America continent , now you make me thinking...

Thanks

Regards

John
  8. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi oldtouring B, Thanks for the information, it's very helpful and much appreciated. Due to the current weather condition, I probably will stick the following three route options, please see pictures:
  9. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi oldtouring B, Thanks for your hospitality, I would like to have another trip in New Mexico next time (not in winter) if I survive this time:), we keep in touch.

Thanks again

Regards

John
  10. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Many thanks for your support, your information and help are so important for me to travel through USA on my motorcycle adventure, due to the current weather condition and advices from so many fellow riders in USA, I have concluded the following three possible route options: 1.) From San Diego along the west coast all the way to Vancouver Canada ; 2.) From Miami along the east coast line all the way to New York; 3.) From Miami along the I-10 road all the way to Phoenix Arizona, then up north to I-40, then Los Angeles. Please see the uploaded pictures:

I would like to have your opinion which route option you would like to recommend and why.

Any information and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John
  11. Lili Von Shtupp

Lili Von Shtupp 102° Rx = + /_\

Oddometer:
    Hey John, hope you have a great ride. When I did my trip the Airline insurance you buy with your tickets was more than enough, no need to get other insurance. Also check out the Harley Dealers, they normally have rentals. I had a ElectraGlide for 28 days and it was about US$1000 cheaper than Eagle Rider...
  12. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

Based on your first post, you're allowing two weeks for this trip. I'm going to make some suggestions to you concerning routing from Jacksonville, FL to Los Angeles, CA. I've made the route to last 10 days if you ride every single day but four days are built in for any sightseeing and/or weather delays. I know you have concerns about routing after San Antonio but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've been going out there for 14 years and, only once, have I weather issues of consequence. Also a consideration, Eagle Rider's only Texas location is, to my knowledge, in Dallas.

This route takes you west in a hurry. I know others have encouraged you to go to Key West but that would take a big bite out of your two week window, keeping you in Florida for a minimum of 4 days. In my opinion, the good stuff is out west.
    [​IMG]

Day 1: Jacksonville-Mobile, AL 473 Kilometers
    Day 2: Mobile-New Orleans, LA 248 Kilometers
    Day 3: New Orleans-San Antonio 880 Kilometers (Long day but it's interstate highways . . . . sorry)
    Day 4: San Antonio-Marathon, TX 590 Kilometers (This route gives you a good ride in the Hill Country and takes out to the Big Bend County.
    In Marathon, stay at the Marathon Motel.)
    Day 5. Marathon-Big Bend NP 271 Kilometers (This takes you to Big Bend National Park and on to Study Butte/Terlingua. Stay at the
    Holiday Hotel and have dinner at the Starlight Theater.)
    Day 6: Big Bend-Las Cruses, NM 769 Kilometers (Ride the famous River Road over to Presidio and head north to Fort Davis. Have brunch at
    at the drug store across the street from the Limpia Hotel. Next, ride the Davis mountains
    before heading up to Texas' highest mountain. After that, it's all downhill to El Paso and
    Las Cruses.)
    Day 7: Las Cruses-Phoenix, AZ 600 Kilometers
    Day 8: Phoenix-Las Vegas, NV 459 Kilometers (If you want to see Sin City, here's your chance. You may wish to head on over to Death
    Valley and spend a couple of days there.)
    Day 9: Las Vegas-Death Valley 205 Kilometers (Lots to see! Stay at Furnace Creek Ranch. It's a little pricey but right in the middle of the
    park.)
    Day 10: Death Valley-Los Angeles 438 Kilometers (If time permits, there are much better ways to get to LA. If you have two days at the end
    of your trip, I can put you on some outstanding California routes.)

I've done every route listed above. These roads, with the exception of the interstates, will give you a good "taste" of the South and Southwest US. I sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago concerning GPS. If you have a Garmin unit, I can give you more detailed info via a downloadable .gpx file.

I hope this helps.

Mike
    johnwan12 and CharlestonADV like this.
  13. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I vote route 3 is the only way to go coast/coast and even then you may have to just stay on I-10 all the way to LA. The jog up north in AZ gets snow too. But in any event, it is a pretty boring ride. I've had friends take that route in January and I have done it from Boston in May. The thing is you have to stay out of the Rockies. The concept of riding the East Coast at that time is pretty sketchy too from Boston to DC. For many years we hauled race bikes in a 28 ft Box trailer every March for Daytona. Half the time we were driving through severe weather. Even a blizzard once. Plus it is a boring ride too unless you can take the more scenic routes through the Smokey's. Your best riding at that time is going to be the west coast route you identified. There might be some snow along the Oregon/California line, but generally if you hit weather on that route it is going to be heavy rain.

It's such a shame you have to do this trip in winter. August-October would offer you many spectacular routes.
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO taking interstates is a not a good idea. There are mindless boring highways designed to get people from point A to point B as fast as possible. And they do a great job of that.

When I have to do something like this, I look for back roads that go thru interesting places and sites and avoid the major cities. The US numbered roads are often a good alternative. You can still generally average 50 miles per hour and get close to 500 miles a day if you want. The downside is that you spend more time than you might like sitting at stop lights in small towns.

Looks like there is a lot of that in Mike's suggested route. At first glance it looked like a lot of interstate, but after I looked at it more closely I realized I could see the interstates and a lot of his route wasn't on them.

There are nice state road alternatives to the stretch of interstate between El Paso and the Arizona border that run south of I-10.
  15. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Wbbnm, I'm with you on not taking interstate. I avoid them whenever possible! I've been on NM 9 from El Paso over to Rt. 80. The only thing I slowed down for, besides a couple of "towns," were the Border Patrol road blocks.

Mike
  16. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Happy New Year to all of you the fellow riders in USA who have given me so much help regarding my first motorcycle adventure in USA, my gratitude is beyond words.

Many thanks for all you help.

Regards

John
  17. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Ride Safe John.
    One thing I may suggest. Check out the regional forums. If you get into an issue and need help or what ever post it up.
    There always seems to be someone around to help out.
    mikegc likes this.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Like he said, route 3 with no northern detour at Tucson, stay on or below the 10 as much as you can.
  19. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike, this is a fantastic route, some much details and it's really helpful, many thanks again. I couldn't agree with you more , key west and Miami are beautiful, but I would be keener on the west. I have downloaded 7 states' maps on my iPhone GPS application Navmii, which would help me all the way through I-10, so I think I would use my iPhone as a GPS device unless there is some reason I could not mount my iPhone holder on the bike I am going to hire, which I very doubt about it. If I have to hire a Garmin from the rental company (e.g. eagle rider etc.) for whatever the reason, then your .gpx file would be really helpful, but please wait for me to talk to eaglerider first and to see if they will allow me to mount my iPhone holder on their bike, I will update you the outcomes, but thanks again for your help, it's really appreciated.
    One more question: do I need to carry a satellite phone with me during this I-10 road trip? in case the bike is broken down in the middle of nowhere.
    We always carry a satellite phone whenever we ride in the state or national parks in Australia, no sure what normally riders do in USA , what 's the cost if I hire one for two weeks in USA etc., any information and help would be much appreciated. I can hire one for 2~3 weeks at about AU$200 in Australia.
  20. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

When I rented from Eagle Rider, I took my own GPS and used a RAM mount while at their facility. They didn't mind at all and I suspect they're still most cooperative.

You do not need a satellite phone. From Jacksonville to San Antonio, I-10 has cell service. You may find a few areas that do not but they're few and far between. If you do the routes I suggested after San Antonio, cell coverage can be a bit spotty but you're never really that far from civilization. I broke down once on NM 9 about 50 miles west of El Paso, TX and two cars stopped to see if I needed assistance. Even out there, I did have cell service.

Please keep me posted on your progress and I'll try to assist.

Mike
    johnwan12 likes this.