Routr 66 on motorcycle in winter (Jan.~Feb. 2016)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by johnwan12, Dec 29, 2015.

1. johnwan12

johnwan12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Damonk45, Thanks for your advice, it's appreciated. I had a look at the roads in San Antonio, they are very complicated indeed. Would you please elaborate a bit more regarding the regional forums, would you please provide me some URLs, so I can have a look at them before I go. Regards
    John
  2. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Pantah, route 3 would be my preferable choice, as Mike said, lots good stuff in the west , the big bend in national park Texas would be very interesting. I would do the west or east coast another time if I survive the route 3 this time:) Regards

John
  3. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
  4. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    John, San Antonio is really a piece of cake. Here's the route I take and, in fact, it's the same one I used in the overall route I posted:

[​IMG]

Here's a more detailed view of how to get out of the city:
    [​IMG]

The starting point, RI SAT, is the Residence Inn on the north side of San Antonio, near the airport. It's only 30 miles up to where you get off the interstate and you'll be in the Hill Country in minutes. You can do this route and still be in Marathon, near Big Bend, in the late afternoon. Stay at the Marathon Motel and walk down to the Gage Hotel and have dinner.

I'll tell you what, I've a Garmin 665 GPS unit that I can loan you. If you wish, I can load the daily routes pictured in post 32 of this thread. I've got a RAM handlebar mount that should work for you. Just send it back to me when your trip is over.

Mike
  5. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike I will consider on NM 9 from El Paso over to Rt. 80, then join the I-10 again if time allows me to do so.

Thanks

Regards

John
  6. mikegc

Oddometer:
    John, if you do that route, make sure you have a full tank when you leave El Paso. There are plenty of service stations on the west side of the city and, as I recall, only one place along NM 9 to get fuel.

Mike
  7. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Tuckers, I will keep this in mind, it will depend on the weather, but I reckon Mike's route is a very interesting one, the northern detour at Tucson takes longer than I-10, I will wait and see. Thanks Regards John
  8. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike, Thanks for your information, it's really appreciated. So far I have done the followings (my finalised day to fly is yet to be decided):
    1.) vaccine including influenza, tetanus done! I will see my travel consultant Monday to discuss and find out if more vaccines are needed.
    2.) I have decided what type of bike I am going to hire (HD street glide or Triumph tiger 800 , but haven't done the reservation booking yet)
    3.) Visa for Canada and visa for USA are done!
    4.) 7 states' maps via a GPS app Navmii on my iPhone 5s are installed, all the places ( 12 in total) you recommended are in my favourites in Navmii , the maps are just a few touches away on my iPhone, thanks for the routes information you gave me, that helps a lot. I am still waiting for the answer from Eaglerider if I can mount my iPhone holder on the bike handlebars.
    5.) 2 sets of hand warmer arrived today and more (another 5 sets) yet to come, which will help me go through the possible cold and wet weather in Texas hill country.
    6.) my medication (thyroxine) storage and doctor's letter to airline and security board are prepared!
    7.) two cigarette USB chargers for my iPhone on the bike are ordered
    8.) I am going to buy another pair of gloves and an electric vest this weekend.
    9) riding clothes may need to be upgraded , not decided yet.
    10.) travel insurance (particularly for riding motorcycle engine bigger than 250 cc overseas) company is decided , but I have not purchased it yet.
    11.) my annual leave for the trip has been applied , but yet to be approved (boss is on holiday at moment :)
    12.) Motel bookings for 3 places (Jacksonville, San Antonio , Los Angeles) need to be done before heading to Canada, but motels for other 10~11 places will be decided wherever/whenever I feel like it on the road.

I will update my progress whenever I could, I was a bit excited and worried when I decided to have a motorcycle trip in USA, but now I feels much more confident after receiving so much help from many fellow riders in USA.

Thanks
    Regards

John
    sandsman and mikegc like this.
  9. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    The harley has a cig lighter for chargers (I think)
    The Triumph has the DIN (BMW) style. A cig lighter will NOT plug into it.
  10. mikegc

Oddometer:
    The one on a Harley is a regular cigarette lighter.

Mike
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We offer room rental in Los Angeles area. You can see my thread in VENDORS 'Travelers Help Fixer'
  12. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Many thanks Mike again, I am still waiting for some answer regarding my iPhone holder on HD street glide from Eaglerider Miami office, it's very kind of you to lent me you Garmin 665 GPS and RAM , I would love to have a GPS with all the routes on it, it will be a great help. I will let you as soon as I have finalised day/decision (go or not go/when). Regards
    John
  13. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I have been very busy last 3~4 days, just would like to say thanks for everyone of you, I haven't got chance to say thanks you individually, but I will try my best to update you guys all the outcomes.

If my company senior management approves my trip to Canada tomorrow , my flight to Miami will be the morning 21st.

I will keep you guys informed.

Thanks

Regards

John
  14. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi DanMonk45,

What you said are correct, they have been confirmed by a staff (reservation agent) from Eaglerider.

You need an adapter on the tiger as it's EU version of power source outlet.

Thanks

Regards

John
  15. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Thanks James, keep in touch.

Regards

John
  16. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,

I keep this in my mind, thanks.

I am going to hire HD street glide, my question is:

Is Texas hill country road (particular the big bend) very difficult for a big bike like HD street glide e.g. deep uphill / downhill or sharp corners /turns?

Thanks

Regards

John
  17. johnwan12

Oddometer:
  18. mikegc

Oddometer:

John, a Street Glide will be fine! In the Texas Hill Country, there certainly are sharp turns with steep uphills & downhills but nothing that isn't manageable on the big Hog. My first trip out the was on an Electraglide Classic. Big Bend National Park is, basically, wide open country. The Ross Maxwell Scenic Road down to Santa Elena Canyon is probably the twistiest in the park but, again, the Harley will be just fine. If you ride out of the Big Bend country on the River Road over to Presidio, that's a curvy little sucker and one that merits a bit a caution. You'll be enjoying the scenery too much to go that fast but, again, the H-D will be fine.

Mike
  19. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,

Please see the routes I am planning to do in the big bend, it may not include all the route of Ross Maxwell Scenic Road down to Santa Elena Canyon.

Sometimes I really think to hire a tiger 800 for the Texas hill country , but then it's not as comfy as the street glide for the long trip.

Thanks

Regards

John

Attached Files:

20. mikegc

Oddometer:
    John, the Ross Maxwell Scenic Road is in Big Bend NP and you'll go right by it on the way to Study Butte/Terlingua. It's about thirty miles down to Santa Elena Canyon and it's a must see. I highly encourage you not to miss it!

Mike

[​IMG]