Routr 66 on motorcycle in winter (Jan.~Feb. 2016)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by johnwan12, Dec 29, 2015.

1. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eagle Rider is a good choice as stated above. I have experience with a buddy renting from them, good equipment and good to deal with and they pretty much are nation wide. Remember the time of year you want to ride the weather can still be nasty winter mix for a good bit of the route even in the south. Be ready for that!!! Hit me up if you decide to leave from South Florida vice north Florida. I am in Homestead, south end of Miami-Dade county.

Andy
  2. johnwan12

johnwan12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the picture, it's beautiful, I will add this route into my routes in Texas hill country.

Regards
    John
  3. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for that, I am going to ride straight up from Miami to Jacksonville save a bit of time to explore the Texas hill country. I would like to visit whole Miami area next time if I survive this trip :)

Regards

John
  4. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Miami Eagle Rider is very close to the airport. They seemed pretty decent and may have a shuttle or recommendations on how to easily get there to pic up a bike. You'll still have a good 4-5 hour ride to Jacksonville on miserable interstate but riding into and out of south Florida sucks that way in general.
  5. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

My company has approved my trip to Toronto, and I will fly to Toronto on 18th of Jan. and will fly to Miami from Toronto on the 20th or 21st of Jan.

This is this is good news indeed, now my dream is gradually becoming a reality:)

Thanks everyone's help, now I am going to start a travel plan with you guys' advices , any opinion/info/advice regrading accommodation, food, weather, traffic, safety, cool places etc. would be much appreciated.

Regards

John
  6. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,

Now I am definitely going to ride a motorcycle in USA from Miami to Los Angeles ( by following yours and others advices) from 20th/21st of Jan. to 5th of Feb. , if it's not too much hassle for you , would you please post your Garmin 665 GPS unit + RAM handlebar mount to eaglerider's Miami office for me to pick up when I arrive there on 20th/21st of Jan. , I will ask eagle rider to post it back to you on the 5th of Feb.
    But please don't do this yet, just wait for my confirmation of two things: 1.) confirmation of my flight booking to Miami; 2.) motorcycle booking confirmation from Eaglerider.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

John
  7. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    John, I'll be happy to do that for you. I'll get your routes loaded along with a few POIs that you may find convenient along the way.

Mike
  8. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not even want to begin the trip you were planning until at least mid April.
    Even then, you can still get snow in the mountains of New Mexico and Arizona.
    It sounds like a great ride, but just the wrong time of year.
  9. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, got a good southern storm system this year! El Nino is hammering the SW. Good luck wtih your trip.
    I'd suggest staying south of 66.
  10. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I'm doing the same trip beginning February 21st and you guys are right . . . . it's a crap shoot. I've been making the trek from NC to L.A. since 2006 and, up until last year, I've had good weather overall. (I did "hole up" four or five years ago for two days because of an ice storm.) That's not to say it didn't get a little windy! Last year, though, it was just plain cold and Gerbings was my friend.

Keep your fingers crossed for John!

Mike
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    South of the 10 always. The border road on the US side from El Paso towards San Diego is OK. Then north from 8 freeway up 2 or 3.
  12. mikegc

Oddometer:
    John, I just sent you an e-mail with the proposed trip itinerary. If you like everything, I'll load the GPS. Let me know if you have questions or want to change anything.

Mike
  13. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were on Rt 66 in Arizona in November. Averaged about the low 40s in the sun.
    Seadragon16 likes this.
  14. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Day 1:

Just would like to give you an update of my trip. I arrived at EagleRider office Miami at about 2:00 pm (from Toronto) on 21st of Jan., got some issue with Eagle rider's finance/account system---they couldn't find my payment whilst my bank statement clearly indicated the payment had been paid to EagleRider, fortunately they resolved the issue and found my payment in their system and I rode Harley Davidson Street Glide away at about 4:30 pm.

The people in Miami office were very nice and helpful, particularly Kim and Clinton, they lent me a full face helmet with free of charge to compensate the inconvenience/delaying my trip caused by their finance systems, it was very nice of them .

It was too late for me to ride to Gainesville, so I rode the Street Glide slowly and very carefully to a hotel called Extended Stay America which I booked online one day before in Toronto hotel. I have been a Suzuki DR 650 rider in Australia last 2~3 years, so this was first time for me to ride a such big motorcycle like this(Street Glide almost has 1700cc engine and 370 kg wet) , luckily the hotel was not far away from the place I picked up my bike.

Believe it or not , my experience with a large cruiser was only 20 minutes on a Yamaha v Star 650 classic , which was/is my friend Charlie's one of his two bikes. Charlie let me to ride his v Star 650 classic on some streets around his house in Blackburn Victoria two days before I flew to Toronto, Canada. Many thanks Charlie!

I heard news at night, a big T-storm was going to hit southern part of USA (including Miami and Gainesville), so I thought I might have had to stay another night in Miami. Please see the attached details.

Will update you when get chance on the trip.

Thanks

Regards

John

Attached Files:

15. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, John. Yeah, this storm front is a big one and I was hoping you could slip under it but tomorrow looks like a much better day. Good luck and keeps us posted when you can.

Mike
  16. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark, I did go through the t-storm and finally arrived at Gainesville, I am going to have a quick shower and some food, then update you guys a bit more late.
    Regards

John
  17. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Day 2:

I went to the reception of the hotel at 10:00 am, I told them I would like to stay another night, but I was told there was no room left in this hotel , and they also failed to find a room in any hotel nearby .

I came back to the room and packed up, left the hotel at 11:30 am, and soldiered on and went via the heavy t-storm on the road 95, which was awesome and I considered it as a baptised process for any non-American bike rider.

Also I had a moment when I was fooling around on the bike using one hand on a high speed bike, a lesson learned.

At some spot (about 100 km away from Gainesville) , the petrol in the tank was almost running out, only 12~13 miles left before I reached this holy petrol station, I did pray though:).

What a big day, a new bike, a new country, new roads, new weather condition, thanks God I have survived, so I treated myself well enough with a nice dinner from Red Lobster near my hotel.

The hotel I stayed is called La Quinta Inn Gainesville, it was cheap (under $100) , room was clean and service was good; the most important for me was that it's easy to get onto the highway.

I hope I would go to bed earlier tonight and get up earlier in the morning, it will be a long journey for me tomorrow.

Regards

John

Attached Files:

18. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    Day3:

Today I rode from La Quinta Inn Gainesville in Gainesville to Fairfield Inn Baton Rough , 590 miles. I started at 8:00 am , arrived in Fairfield inn at 6:30 pm.

The mobile charger from cigarette power outlet on the bike was not working , I had to stop in the middle of nowhere and tried to find my battery bay , took me almost 20 minutes, finally I found the battery bay in my bag, I used this battery bay charger to charge my iPhone almost halfway on my journey, which provided me the GPS Apps and routes I have saved.

The first hour riding in the morning was tough, wet road and high humidity made my visor 's visibility almost 0 , I actually stopped twice and was trying to clean it up, but not useful as it came back almost instantly. The only way to have visibility on the road was to open the visor, which can be very cold indeed.

The rest of the journey was not that hard, all the way through before the sunset, which was nice, so I didn't have to ride in the evening.

I am staying in Fairfield inn, that a fellow USA rider Mike recommended, just had my take away dinner from Cropland's Steak ( Reception girl recommended), it was very nice.

I am doing some washing now, the inn provides coin laundry service , that is fantastic .

Tomorrow will be another long day on the road , a long journey indeed, to San Antonio, 481 miles.

Will give you update when I have the chance.

Regards

John

Attached Files:

19. johnwan12

Oddometer:
    night 2, the hotel I stayed is called La Quinta Inn Gainesville, it was cheap price (under $100) and room is clean, service is good, the most important for me is it's easy to get onto the highway.
  20. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Glad you found Copeland's, John. I'll be there myself in about five weeks. Tomorrow, it's supposed to be around 75°F (24°C) with some high overcast & 30% chance of rain. Tuesday, the chance of rain in San Antonio is the same but the temps will be cooler but not too bad. By the time you get to Marathon, you should see a high of about 50° (10°C).

Thanks for the update.

Mike
    johnwan12 likes this.