Rowher Flats Breakfast Klub

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Klammer, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Slow poke Rodriguez

Slow poke Rodriguez n00b

Oddometer:
    Was there today, someone left their jeep rubicon in a frozen 3 foot deep pond on the trail...must have been a far walk
  2. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No pics?

Something went down last sunday, LIFE FLIGHT flew over the house, haven't heard anything.
  3. Slow poke Rodriguez

Slow poke Rodriguez n00b

Oddometer:
    Nope, too lazy to take my phone out of my bag. I bet its still there though, near the bouquet reservoir. Id bet whoever drove it there is waiting for the water level to drop as it looks like it was even stuck deeper than today.
  4. phixmup

Oddometer:
    No idea if it's posted on/a website but it's been a few days now.
    [​IMG]
    No gate on bouquet canyon:1drink
    Davethestick likes this.
  5. CCer

CCer missing Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s still closed as of this afternoon. The link below has been correct in my experience since i found it a couple of months ago. I met a ranger one day at the gate who said the gates are kept closed for 36 hours after rain stops, and that has been the case for all the recent closures. Seems like it should have opened today since the last rain was on Sunday.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/angeles/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=41806&actid=93
  6. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
    Dale...... where you been?

In order to reopen the gates, someone has to ride the trails and report problems to the rangers. Good opportunity to ride the place without the crowds. They also wait for the the road to dry out some so the kids don't tear it up worse than it already is.
  7. CCer

CCer missing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Rich! I sold the small bikes a few years back thinking I was getting too old. I’ve since come to see that as flawed logic and of course over-corrected by getting 2 bikes I can ride at Rowher.
  8. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking to expand my ride this weekend with a buddy who will be on a dirt only bike and wanted to see if we can make it to the Lake Hughes area without a problem, starting at Bouquet Crossing. In looking at the maps/google earth, we would make a right at Deer Peak Junction then catch the trail down to the City Highline Motorway Fire Road and make a right.

Can we then go through Bee Canyon and drop onto Runner Road to make a right and then catch the trail that runs along/below San Francisquito Road. It looks like the entrance to the trail is near FSR 6N16. Are we on public road when going up Runner for that short distance?

The trail below the highway looks like it comes out around S. Portal Road? Ride the highway shoulder until we reach FSR 7N02 and make a left?

Then left on Leona Divide and Right on Lake Hughes Truck trail?

Thanks for confirming if this route is correct/open and mostly works with a dirt bike.

Craig
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm following you correctly, I don't think you'll get through there. The movie lot at 6N18 and 5N28 is completely fenced off. We used to get through there, but not anymore. Heading the other way on 6N18 towards the reservoir is also closed.
    This is the only way I know how to get through however it includes a 3 mile stint down bouquet cyn. Maybe one of the rowher super gurus knows how to get through without crossing fences/gates.

Attached Files:

10. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019-02-21_14-07-12.jpg 2019-02-21_14-08-04.jpg

Thank you for the gpx file. This is a possibility but 3 miles on pavement might be an issue.

I tried to plot the route on Earth (I need to learn how to create gpx files). The close up area is probably the most concerning since it is around developed areas.

I do not think I would need to go down towards the movie section since there is a cut over trail about a mile past Deer Peak junction to hit the motorway. The biggest concern is navigating up San Francisquito canyon mostly off road. The single track that follows the highway past Cherry Canyon does not show up on the topo map.
  11. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see. Might work however there are a LOT of gates up that way. Don't cross them, even if there's a "path" that people have made going around them. They just don't take kindly to that. Oh and that little single track next to SF cyn.. it was pretty rutted out before all these rains. I doubt it got better.
    MrGadalot likes this.
  12. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Runner Road has earned its name... I was suppose to meet up with my buddy at the beginning of Butterfield trail entrance (Pelton and Runner Rd) but he was chased down the road by two large dogs (he thinks they were Pits at around 100 lbs). He waited a while and then went back to see if I was there or had been mauled but was chased a second time. We assume they belong to the house nearby and were exiting onto the road near the stream crossing. I showed up about 15 minutes later and the dogs apparently had gone home. Just passing along the info so others are aware they maybe hunted if taking a break in the area. My friend has no doubts they would have taken him out if they got ahold of him.
  14. maverickoc

maverickoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding in Rowher Flats while all gates are closed, yes/no ?

SHORT ANSWER: If Gate #2 (see below) is open, you should be fine (on a bike).

LONG ANSWER + summary / sit rep (for those inmates that don't know the area very well) for this weekend...

As it stands, per a phone conversation Inmate JerryC2019 had yesterday with the Rowher Flat Ranger station (661-269-2808), all gates are/will remain closed due to weather/reasons...

This means we can expect that the main entrance, as well as all other gates controlling offical entrance to Rowher Flats to be still closed.

In addition to the main entrance off of Sierra Highway, there is also a total of 4 official entrances into Rowher Flats off of Bouquet Canyon Road. Here is a complete list, (#1-#4 listed in order from south to north) along with my take on each, plus a gate status update (I will update this list again after checking it out tomorrow):

#0 Main Entrance, the only official entrance off Sierra Highway
    • Trail head
    • Type
      • Forrest/Service Road (tarmac/dirt)
    • Staging Area
      • Medium sized staging area for maybe a dozen trucks/trailers
      • I've never seen this full
    • Description / Accessibility
      • Starts out tarmac, turns to (regularly grated) dirt about 1/4 way to the main staging area
      • I've seen even standard 2x cars do this road all the time, but imagine some did scrape their bellies
      • Out of all 4 possible access ways wide enough for 2 track vehicles (i.e. car-sized) this one is the easiest to drive in, car or bike. Anything with a modicum of ground clearance, some traction, and a sane driving style can make this to main staging area.
      • Only way meant for trailering
    • Rating
      • I'd rate it an "Easier than GREEN" for cars and dirt bikes (Easy->Difficult: Green-Blue-Black)
      • We do this any day on up to our BMW R1200SGA, KTM 1090 and 990 Dakar
    • Gate
      • Yes
      • Closed & locked as of Feb 23rd

#1 - Forrest/Service Road, off Bouquet Canyon Road
    • Trail head
    • Type
      • Forrest/Service Road (dirt)
    • Staging Area
      • There is more of a turn out opposite to the entrance, with space for maybe 1-3 trucks/trailers
      • I've never seen this full.
      • Dirt all the way, looks like never grated, and it's a long way, up to the ridge line and then down from it, to the main staging area. Check the map to be sure to know where you have to make the turn to get to the staging area (and where not to turn) as there are no signs posted to guide you
      • Out of all 4 possible access ways wide enough for 2 track vehicles (i.e. car-sized) this one is the 2nd hardest to drive in, car or bike. You'll need ground clearance on your car, your wheel base can't be too long if your car is too low (do NOT take a trailer through here), might need 4x drive in places
      • Do NOT take your trailer through here. Turns are (too) tight, combined with grooves and holes, will challenge your clearance and wheelbase even without a trailer
    • Rating
      • I'd rate it a "BLUE" for cars and "GREEN" for dirt bikes (Easy->Difficult: Green-Blue-Black)
      • We do this on up to our BMW R1200SGA, KTM 1090 and 990 Dakar
      • If I had to (i.e. for some recovery mission on that trail), I'd do it on my Ford F150 4x4
    • Gate
      • Yes

#2 - Dirt Bike Trail, off Bouquet Canyon Road
    • Trail head
    • Type
      • Dirt Bike / Single Track Trail (dirt)
    • Staging Area
      • Has a little staging area for maybe 4-6 trucks/trailers right at the entrance
      • I have seen this full.
      • As of Feb 23rd: there was construction going on in the vicinity and the workers used nearly the entire staging area for their equipment
      • If you can make the incline / rocky-ness of the very first right turn, still right next to the staging area, you should be ok for the remainder. There's two more longer stretches about 3 minutes in that may be a little more challenging, but those are straight. After that, this trail has several straight jumps that are a lot of fun going up.
      • If it is wet, this trail gets very muddy and coming down can be a handful to keep a big bike from going over the edge (I am speaking from 1st hand experience on my girl's KTM 990 Dakar, which did decide to take a quick-nap next/below the trail - oh the memories)
    • Rating
      • I'd rate it a "BLUE" for dirt bikes (I think that's its official rating too) (Easy->Difficult: Green-Blue-Black)
      • We do this on any dry day on up to our BMW R1200SGA, KTM 1090 and 990 Dakar
    • Gate
      • no
      • open as of Feb 23rd

#3 - Jeep 4x4 Trail, off Bouquet Canyon Road
    (rated black) / 2 track - has gate - was closed & locked on Feb 23rd:
    • Trail head
    • Type
      • Jeep 4x4 Trail (dirt)
    • Staging Area
      • Has as small-medium sized staging area for maybe 6-10 trucks/trailers at the entrance
      • I've never seen this full.
      • This one's got a whopper of a black diamond challenge packed right around the middle of the climb, that starts after the second left turn counting from the gate: https://goo.gl/maps/LzEUZLQbL5s The climb is essential rocky/stoney/bouldery wash, that gets steeper as it goes until it gets to a 1.5m near vertical rock wall / step. Stop at the bottom and take a good look for a line that makes sense to you. If there isn't one to your eyes, turn around. My preferred line is wall-tigering the rocky wall on the left. My buddy usually goes straight for just a tinge left of the dead center middle - there the near vertical wall was/is broken into two vertical steps - and he is that good. My girl (good and tough as nails) tried that last one in January and flipped herself and the bike backwards back down the wash (to the guys that designed her Klim Badlands suit: Thank you ever so much!). Most that don't manage to just ride over it, have some success by riding as high as they can, aiming for the dirt part on the right, and then somehow clutch-walk it up high enough.
      • If you can make it past that first challenge, then you should be fine for anything that comes after.
    • Rating
      • I'd rate it a "Double-BLACK" for dirt bikes (due to that first section) (Easy->Difficult: Green-Blue-Black)
      • I have no idea if/how you could get a 4x4 up that first section, but I imagine it would have to be one heck of a crawler. I got no clue, so I am not rating this.
      • We do this on our KTM 525s and 450s. I don't think we'll ever throw our BMW R1200SGA, KTM 1090 or 990 Dakar at this one.
      • Nu uh, nope, njet, nein, never, ever, on anything with more than 2 wheels
    • Gate
      • yes

#4 - Forrest/Service Road, off Bouquet Canyon Road
    • Trail head
    • Type
      • Forrest/Service Road (dirt)
    • Staging area
      • hm
      • Dirt all the way, looks like regularly grated, and it's a long way, in fact the longest, to get to the staging area. Up to the ridge line, along the ridge line south-west-wards, and then down the ridge southwards, the north-eastwards to the main staging area. Check the map to be sure to know where you have to make the turns.
      • On 4 wheels:
        • There are many 4-wheel turn-offs, they are not marked, and the wrong one will get you into trouble, as is evidenced by the 4-wheel wrecks blotted over the mountain side. As long as you stay on the flat-ish!, grated!-looking forrest road. There are several BLACK 4x4 only that meet the Forrest Road, which are sometimes hard to identify as such. The Forrest Road meant to service the area has no sudden gradient in/decreases, so a minimum rule of thumb is, that if you see ANY pronounced incline, it'll likely turn nasty soon after. Check the map, often, and if in doubt back up and out.
        • Just on Feb 23rd we saw a 4x4 buggy go up through the #4 trail head ahead of us and we saw it again later that day abandoned and lodged in the mountain side. They had turned when they shouldn't have and must have ended up loosing traction on a steep downhill, BLACK, single trail, going off-off-road, to their current resting place. Other than with a helicopter, I don't see how they'll get their buggy off the mountain side.
      • On 2 wheels:
        • You'll be fine if you stay on the flat-ish, grated!-looking forrest road (see above) and away from any single trails you see turning off - all of them are either rated BLACK or get you onto a BLACK one at the next turn. Check the map!
      • Out of all 4 possible access ways wide enough for 2 track vehicles (i.e. car-sized) this one is the 2nd easiest to drive in, car or bike (as long as you don't take a wrong turn). You need to have some ground clearance on your car and 4x4 available should the need arise.
      • I have taken my trailer through here, because I needed to rescue a fallen bike. Not my favorite experience, cause driving sensible meant it took a loooooong time.
    • Rating
      • I'd rate it a "GREEN" for 4x4 cars with clearance and "GREEN" for dirt bikes (Easy->Difficult: Green-Blue-Black)
      • We do this on up to our BMW R1200SGA, KTM 1090 and 990 Dakar
      • I'd do this with my Ford F150 4x4
    • Gate
      • Yes
      • Closed, BUT NOT locked as of Feb 23rd
        • And this is the most interesting gate, when the others are closed & locked
        • The foundation under the gate has shifted slightly and now it doesn't line up correctly with the gate post anymore. This prevents it from being swung closed all the way, nocked and then secure-locked. I suppose it could be chained shut, but the chain itself would remain exposed = easily accessible with a bolt cutter. That's why I think it wasn't/doesn't stay shut, because of the big honking bolt cutters I've seen all those Jeep/4x4s carry near-standard in their tool chests...

CONCLUSION:
    • If all the big gates #0, #1, #3 are closed, #4 is open or closed
    • On 4 Wheels:
      • Nope, don't do it. Fines can reach over $10,000 per incident (who knows, they might be counting individuals not cars). I don't imagine it to be a fun conversation with a Ranger, were one to run into one with a 4x4 (and a bolt cutter stashed) with all the gates previously locked... :pep
      • And if the gate is not closed when you get there and you do not have a bolt cutter with you, whatcha gonna do when you come back down and the gate has a new chain on it?
    • On 2 Wheels:
      • As long as #2 is open, and you'd be riding right past it to get to this gate #4 so you'd know, you should be good to ride on bikes. Because, if you get confronted, you'd be pointing straight to the open gate #2, which is how you got in there. They'd mean to close it for bikers, they'd have to be closing that one, right? Don't answer that, I am not listening.

ANYWHO - Proceed at your own risk.

These are my five cents, well actually, more like one cent. Is there a denomination worth less than once cent? One lira? I am no lawyer, I barely can read, I can't spel worth a dam, nor do I have any clue what I am going on about here... wait, what? How did I get here? Where is this? What's that button d...
  15. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou Presently living in the past

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thanks for taking the time to post this great info! :beer
  16. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw pics on FB that show a locked chain @ Gate #2
  17. phixmup

Oddometer:
  18. SCVFire&ForestRds

SCVFire&ForestRds Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. SCVFire&ForestRds

SCVFire&ForestRds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. Great details.
  20. msJX

msJX n00b

Oddometer:
    Hit it today on the 690, beautiful out. Looped over to Green valley, Elizabeth Lake and back down Lake Hughes through west Drinkwater to Haxel/N. Santa Clarita. That first climb from San Francisquito is much longer, steeper and looser than I remember.

I ended up there as the Maxwell Truck trail going west is still closed (and has been for years) but I was hopeful.

Met a gent at Rowher on a 500. If that was you shoot me a DM and let's hit some trails sometime.

Gorgeous out, no excuses with this weather.
    Todd157k likes this.