Rowher Flats Breakfast Klub

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Klammer, Nov 16, 2009.

1. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    Or just get a DRZ . Haha
    AZ TOM likes this.
  2. SCVFire&ForestRds

SCVFire&ForestRds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a fun loop. I did that exact same route a couple of weeks ago. I left early in the morning and the fog was very low. The first part of the ride from Coarsegold to 6N18 to Quarry Road was supper low visibility due to the fog.

Yesterday we decided to check out some of the trails on the San Francisquito Canyon side. We took San Francisquito Canyon Road to 5N16 (enter on the bridge by the water and power plant). 5N06 leads up to San Franciquito Mtwy which you can take north to Dry Gulch Road. Dry Gulch Road is a paved road connecting San Franciquito Canyon Road to Lake Hughes Road.

Our plan was to take Lake Hughes to 6N24. 6N24 was closed so we continued up Lake Hughes Road to Lake Hughes Truck Trail. You can find the entrance of this trail by The Rock Inn.

We thought the 6N24 gate the San Francisquito Canyon side was open so we took Lake Hughes Truck Trail to N701 which drops back into 6N24. Heading down 6N24 towards San Francisquito we quickly found out why it was actually closed. There was a lot of water running through this canyon. We had to make about 5 water crossings to get back to San Fran.

Turned out to be a pretty fun morning about 3.5 hours and 70 +/- miles.

water crossing.jpg
    water crossing N24

sanfan1.JPG
  3. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Yeah, fog...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SCVFire&ForestRds and slogger like this.
  4. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GH010601_1559017248567_high.jpg
    Idealist of conditions today. Finally got to try the 525 cheaters and they're pretty damn nice!
    dunc289 and Davethestick like this.
  5. theSteels

theSteels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What tires do you guys recommend for that Rowher hard pack? Ive ran a few different types and most seem to shred sooner than later. Im on a 525 exc and weigh around 250 minus gear, this could be the culprit. :/
  6. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tried several tires.. most at the advise of other riders. I have yet to find anything that works as good in diverse terrain as the Dunlop D606 rear/fatty front (either Shinko or Goldentyre). Even riding tarmac, it isn't bad. You won't get thousands of miles out of any dirt tire unless it's a street tire you're using in the dirt. Personally, I'll take good traction over longevity any day.
    Davethestick and theSteels like this.
  7. theSteels

theSteels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ive ran that tire about 4 changes ago. I might go back to it although I rarely ride on pavement.
  8. theSteels

theSteels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used to park at the top of the hill right after the pavement runs out on Rush and long before staging area 1 for the same horrible conditions. I was told i could get a parking ticket by that ranger that looks like Willie Nelson. He recommended parking at the entrance and Ive done that a few times with no issues. It is a more open area and it seems like theft could be an problem being so close to Sierra but nothing yet!
  9. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Maxxis IT is a great all around tire.
    DirtDog43 likes this.
  10. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just switched from the MotoZ Extreme Hybrid Gummy Compound (UHD Tubes @ 12psi) to the Shinko 525 Hybrid Cheater (Nitro Mousse simulated 14psi).

Similarities from both: Hybrid carcass class (very stiff sidewall, soft tread section). Soft rubber compound at 70 duro.

Extreme Hybrid: Intended for hard and intermediate terrain and jesus christ does it shine there. Amazing traction on rock faces. Keep a finger on the clutch because it can and will cause the bike to wheelie/loop during hill climbs. Especially if there's some loose gravel or small rocks and the tire is fishing for grip (when it finds it, its like an on/off switch). Very predictable to slide around corners. You can break it loose on command and you can feel when it's going to regain grip. Close knobs protects very well against sharp objects from puncturing the carcass and also makes for a smooth slab ride but falls short when it gets soft. like realllly bad. Has a terrible time on soft terrain. Dont stop or find yourself having a hard time to get going again. I presume it's due to the knobs being too close and not being able to adequately dig into loose surfaces. I didn't think this would be an issue at rowher until I found myself stuck trying to make it out of a freshly chewed up hill climb and suffered. Overall I enjoyed the tire but I am finding myself on looser terrain more often than not. I spooned the tire out at 25 hours and it still has a lot of life on it. Gonna save it for a moab trip or somethin.

525 Hybrid: Learned my lesson from the motoz and decided to switch to a Soft/Intermediate terrain tire. Felt so good not having to worry about traction on soft surfaces. I killed the engine several times on hill climbs while doing some clutch modulation practice and I had no problems starting back up again. The hybrid carcass + cheater compound also gives it haxx grip on hard and rock surfaces. Like total hacks grip. More grip than the extreme hybrid it replaced but at a cost. People seem to only get 20 hours with this tire which is a big problem to a lot of people. But at $70 and the frequency of mousse maintenance. It might be my go-to tire.

**Edit: I forgot to mention I did 2 hours on the initial ride. Pretty much lapped the whole park several times and climbed the Rowher Trail to get to the top. Even with trying to keep the wheel slip to a minimum, the leading edge of the knobs are starting to round out and a few of the center knobs have early signs of tearing. lol pay to play?
  11. atpalmer

atpalmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Klammer, watch those ribs at Kennedy Meadows! I was just wondering if the RFBK was still going! I'm looking at getting a CRF250F and getting back into some trail riding. How do you think that bike will handle the hill climbs?
  12. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
    Long time Andrew! That's a fine bike, snatch it up and let's ride. Come on up to Kennedy Meadows, it's going to be a blast. Long live the RFBK !!!
  13. atpalmer

atpalmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might not make it to Kennedy Meadows. I did bring a shiny red bike to Rowher today! I did Buffer Loop, Stage Trail, and Texas Canyon Road. I'm looking forward to working back up to the steeper trails.
    Klammer likes this.
  14. SCVFire&ForestRds

SCVFire&ForestRds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rowher Adjacent News!

I was riding some trails off San Francisquito Canyon Road and Spunky Canyon Road this morning (7N02, 6N04, and 6N05). I was headed home down Bouquet Canyon Road decided to jump on Del Sur Ridge and saw this truck. Looks like this guy had a super close call. It was on Del Sur Ridge about half way between Quarry Road and Coarse Gold Road.

del sur with bike.jpg

del sur 1.jpg
    Todd157k likes this.
  15. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are some very fun trails. I wanted to mount the spot on my body but no GPS so I used my spot to make tracks and mark waypoints. There are no really challenging trails other than that "Kingsnake". And that was only because the pilot jet on my 300 was clogged and I had to keep the motor revved. The first time I went here I smashed the radiator on a baby connector trail. I'm looking forward to more riding in Rowher!! I can see there is a bunch of stuff to ride once out of the park.

IMG_3407 2.JPG
  16. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy FATHERS day to ALL the DADS:1drink
    [​IMG]
    RIDE ON!
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Wham-O Racing! :beer
    DannyG and Klammer like this.
  18. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint. Supporter

Oddometer:
    dodge commercial?
    phixmup likes this.
  19. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Family day this weekend @ Texas canyon/Rowher, not sure if its saturday or sunday yet. My kids are total knoobs but its all about having fun, any other family's interested it would be great if you can join in:D
  20. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    Confirm the day and I’ll bring my kid and my pops
    phixmup likes this.