ROX Riser Install Pictorial (2 sets plus cable/line relocation)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Apr 30, 2017.

1. tactical1

tactical1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't worry too much about the warranty implications as only items at risk would be those modified ie: cables and lines - don't think you can properly install the risers w/o relocating the cables and lines though so I would install the risers and reroute the cabling as needed and not look back
    Roundel and JimVonBaden like this.
  2. Roundel

Roundel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good and smart people on this forum. Thank you!
  3. gregp

gregp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any luck finding the thread you mentioned?
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mr. Clean likes this.
  5. slowfall

slowfall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. I have an opinion: If you ride more comfortably with bar-risers, install bar-risers. If you you are very comfortable without them, do not install them. If you are not comfortable riding the bike without bar-risers and keeping up the warranty is more important to you than enjoying your ride, do not add bar-risers. If maintaining the warranty on a bike is what you crave, go for it.

Personally, I like riding my bike and using it to its fullest extent. As an example, I am a tall person and the bar-risers allow me to stand on the pegs comfortably while keeping my arms and hands relaxed for optimal handling of the controls while riding in dirt, sand and over rocks. With the adjustable risers, I can quickly adjust the handlebars to street riding position as needed, to optimize for that.

As an example, when I am riding in 5 inch deep sand at 60 miles an hour, I prefer the optimal setup that suits me. The reason is that any poor clutch, throttle or brake input has the potential of flipping the bike and destroying it. No warranty will be coming to the bike's or my rescue.

So weighing the risks and benefits, for the riding I do, optimization of the ergonomics is paramount as well as cheaper and safer than worrying about the warranty.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Roundel likes this.
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the 2" Rox risers yesterday. In the instructions provided with the risers they specify 18 ft/lbs for the cap bolts. That is a huge error from the actual 19Nm that you and the Haynes Manual provide. Glad I read this thread before my install.

I also found that zip tieing the cables to the point recommended in the instructions (small "tic-tac" (oval) shaped opening) seems to put some stress on the cables. I did it, but was tempted to not zip tie them at all. It looks to me like leaving them unattached would work okay.
  7. BladeRun

BladeRun Daywalker finally!

Oddometer:
    Just got finished installing the pivoting set of Rox Risers on my '04 1150 GS. After installing the risers I noticed the brake line had some tension and needed to be re-routed. I am NOT very handy so this procedure was causing me to sweat. After reading and re-re-reading your post Jim, I went ahead and did it....success! It was very easy, I just followed the pictures. haha. The cables are fine now and my heart rate has returned to normal. A big thanks to you Jim!!!
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  8. ryno23nv

ryno23nv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought ziptieingbthem in recommend spot put steas on the cables too. I left the free.
  9. sykospain

sykospain Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What fantastic fotos Jim ! And a really great write-up.
    Trouble is, to fit risers of any kind to a bike like mine, yr-04 Rockster, new braids are required for each side, 'cos the OEM ones are so tight in view of that stupid straight bar. Switching to a Roadster bar for greater wrist-comfort involves a deal of re-routing for the same reason.
  10. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim, for your excellent pictorial write-up of the cable relocation & install process. Just did mine this morning with a set of the 2" anti-vibe risers. Using your notes, took about 45 minutes total, and that was with me taking my time. :)
    JimVonBaden likes this.