Royal Enfield Canada, Experiences, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by HardcoreMallCrawler, Oct 8, 2020.

1. HardcoreMallCrawler

HardcoreMallCrawler n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow motorists,

I find myself increasingly considering the RE Himalayan, but I am worried about the tiny dealer network. I was wondering if any of you had experiences with Royal Enfield Canada? Namely, I had the following questions:
    • Does anyone have any experience with Royal Enfield Canada's warranty?
    • Is parts availability an issue?
    • Are non-dealers mechanics able to obtain parts/do maintenance on the bike? I think they should be given how simple REs tend to be.
    • I heard REs tend to rust easily, even when kept indoors during winter. Is this true?
    • Finally, I was wondering if people had thoughts on the price-to-bike ratio? I know that Hondas, KTMs, Yamahas, etc are comparatively cheaper in Canada when compared to the US or Europe. However, the opposite seems to be true for Royal Enfield. REs are more expensive in Canada then in other western markets, which brings into question one of its key value propositions: its cheap price.
    My apologies for all the questions and thank you for your help!
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I had one of the first Himalayans in Canada, and managed about 7500 km's in less than a year.
    Here is what I can tell you about my experience.
    - I had no warranty claims, so no advice there
    - Parts were purchased from eBay, most shipped from India
    - Non-dealer mechanics can work on the motorbike, but may have issues sourcing parts
    - I didn't notice any rust issues over the one winter I had mine
    - The price-to-bike ratio sucks in Canada - I would strongly advise you consider purchasing a DRZ400 (it's under the 400cc limit for SAAQ registration), or any of the 230 or 250 dualsports available from Japan, you will have a much better motorbike at a much better price

I spent about 15 hours (no joke) tearing the thing apart to lubricate all the necessary moving parts and tighten/thread-lock all the fasteners. The head bearings and swingarm pivot had zero grease. The wheels are very thin steel and will dent and bend easily. The handlebars are very thin steel and will bend easily.

I did 4000km's mostly offroad in Baja with the Himalayan, you can read the ride report in the Nov '19 isssue of ADV Rider magazine. It did not perform well.

Every other dualsport available on the market is a better motorbike.

What I did like about the REH
    - ergonomics were quite good after the seat was upgraded to a Seat Concepts Tall
    - it could climb hills like a mountain goat
    jfman, simbaboy, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  3. HardcoreMallCrawler

HardcoreMallCrawler n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the detailed and informative reply!

I think the Himalayan has a lot of potential , its a shame it still has a few niggles/QC issues and that the price is so high in Canada.

I think the issues would be a lot more palatable if the bike was closer to $5800-6000 rather then $7000.
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  4. Oilerjet

Oilerjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kijiji shows some new 2018 KLR650s for less money than a REH. I’ve put quite a few miles on a Himalayan and RE Bullets in India and thoroughly enjoyed them, but they cost half here compared to Canada. Imported bikes cost double, so RE was really the only option. As much as I have loved riding these bikes, I wouldn’t buy one in Canada. Too many other options that are better value.

I can’t speak to the dealer network in Canada specifically but RE is very aggressively expanding. Lots of production from other manufacturers coming to India now, so I don’t see them going away anytime soon. Whether that translates to Canada or not is hard to tell. Unfortunately we aren’t all that significant in the motorcycle world compared to other nations.
  5. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    @Chillis

Don't tell Cletus - let him enjoy his Himalayan.
    simbaboy and Chillis like this.
  6. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. I was interested in the REH but pricing wise it was close to $7500.00 cad out the door. There are a lot of great bikes out there for far less money for adventure riding.
    Not knocking the REH as a bike, just the price.
  7. HardcoreMallCrawler

HardcoreMallCrawler n00b

Oddometer:
    I would buy the Himalayan if it was 7500 out the door. I asked my local dealer for a quote on the 2021 model and it was $9076 out the door! More then drz400, ktm 390 adv, cb500x, etc!

$6799 msrp + $799! Shipping+$399 setup and the rest in taxes. I don't know why the shipping and PDI fees are so high. It basically completely rules out the bike for me.
  8. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was quoting a price from a couple of years ago..yikes..the price has jumped. That really is over the top price wise.
  9. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Go with KLR 650 far more support . 2500 to 4 grand gets you a full outfit one . If you re really wanting a royal enfield wait around for a 1 to 2 years since it seem like they dont sell all that fast . Dealerships have them sitting around for a while. after 1 year the dealership starts losing money on any old stock laying around. .