1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Enfield dealer?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by JagLite, Jan 9, 2020.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new RE bikes are getting excellent reviews, both the Twins and the Himalayan.

I'm wondering if anyone is going to pick up the line and become a dealer for them here?
    Probably be the ONLY Royal Enfield dealer in all of Alaska if/when someone does.

The RE designs and build quality have increased tremendously from the Bullets they have built for so long. :thumb
    Sure, there are better bikes but nothing comes even close for the money according to the reviews.

I believe there is a niche for them here for us local riders, as well as for setting new bikes up for fly & ride trips for outsiders.

A rider from outside could arrange online to buy the new bike here with the dealer setting it up with luggage/gear per rider choice (or from a list of options), and the new owner flies up, picks up their new RE, explores around Anchorage and the Kenai, and then before heading out of state, stop back at the dealer for the recommended first service. Then living their dream riding the long road home with their Alaskan RE.

Personally I would like a twin and a Himi... :ricky :ricky
    The twin for the long highway rides and the Himi for the shorter trips.

Just a thought :jkam
    Sparticus, AKDuc and AK650 like this.
  2. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think they'd sell, also. I believe George in Fairbanks was selling them, but after he passed away, I don't think anyone else became a dealer. There have been some really cool R-E based custom bikes lately.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately there just isn't a market for them. Making a profitable shop selling $5,000 bikes to our very small market just isn't feasible unless it's tagged onto a dealer with multiple other brands supporting it. Someone could open a small boutique shop with them, but it wouldn't be sustainable. In order for it to be profitable, you would likely need to sell 70-100 bikes a year, which would make it the best-selling non-Japanese brand in Alaska. Even then, the money needed to invest in the brand would likely be better spent elsewhere.

As with a lot of business ideas: Could it be done? Of course! Would you be better off making more money with a normal 9-5, with time off to ride on the weekends and none of the stresses of running a motorcycle dealership in Alaska? Most likely.

As with most questions like this that come up, the answer is that if it made sense it probably would've been done by now. It's the same answer for Indian, Guzzi, Agusta, RE, Zero, Bimota etc.

We offer this currently with the brands we sell and I love doing it! I've sent at least a couple hundred people to TDF from here on new bikes, and it's always a great experience. All of the people that pick up bikes from us become life-long friends and I have a map laid out of the folks I still need to visit from around the world!
    JagLite, Tom S and Kruzof like this.
  4. JagLite

Oddometer:
    And I know just the dealer who could add RE to their lineup of great bikes... :beer
    That's great! It must be exciting for your guys to set up a bike knowing where it will be heading, and probably wishing you could drop everything and ride off too. :ricky
  5. JACoH

JACoH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I understand the situation of dealers adding another brand to their lineup, It costs money for unknown results. I recently checked out the local Harley dealer who now has Royal Enfields. Sales staff wasn't much interested in selling them, they had 2 650's on the floor and one Himalayan, but "a bigger selection next door, but the building is locked up." I really liked the taillight assembly on the new 650's, thought it might be a great accessory, so I asked the parts guy. He says he doesn't have a parts book for the 650's! I contacted RE USA, and they said to contact my local dealer! So, I won't buy a motorcycle where I cannot get parts backup. There are only 2 RE dealers here in Oregon, both Harley dealers.
    JagLite likes this.
  6. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I agree, we want to be able to get parts locally. :dirtdog
    Not that my local dealer ever has any parts I need in stock.

Interesting that the HD dealers picked up RE since that seems an odd match.
    I can imagine getting a good deal on a new RE at one though since they aren't going to appeal to the average HD buyer who is buying into the image and brand name of HD. When HD has tried to sell models outside of their core image like the XR1200 of a few years ago, they didn't sell well. So what if it has real suspension, brakes, and even reasonable handling, it just looks wrong evidently.

It is hard for me to picture a rider going to a HD dealer to look at anything other than a Haley... :dunno

I am guessing that a multiline dealer can pick up RE to add to their store very reasonably since RE wants to get dealers lined up in the US.

I think the twins and Himi will sell well because they are getting favorable reviews and they have a fantastic new bike price. :happay
    Will they steal potential sales of more expensive bikes? :hmmmmm
    I would say no, someone who wants high performance won't consider RE, that is not the target market.
    I think the Twins would be of interest to retro riders who would be looking at the nice Kawasaki 800 retro twin and the Triumph entry level twins.
    For those customers they can get a great retro bike for a lot less money than the Kawasaki or Triumphs.
  7. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Looks like your wish came true!!! Now step up and buy one!!
    bigjohnsd, JagLite and Andrewmc like this.
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep saw the announcement that TMS is bringing them up
    JagLite likes this.
  9. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :clap
    I was hoping TMS would take on RE. :beer

I can see selling the V-Strom and buying an Interceptor.

As much as I like the Himalayan I don't see selling the DR to get one... :ricky