Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Anthiron

Anthiron Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for Sega

Oddometer:
    I hope this is the right spot for this thread. Single cylinder and all.....

Whilst likely not the favorite among ADV riders, there seem to be a handful of Himalayan owners on this forum. One of them me. I've got about 1500kms on mine so far and have to confess I really like it. So here is a thread for owners to post in and share mods and maintenance issues. I've done a few things so I'll start off with a few photos thrown in to keep people entertained.

Mine is a 2017 Australian delivered model with the carburetor and no ABS. The new injected/ABS model has been released to India and will likely find its way to the ROW in the next few months.
    I was happy to get a carb bike over injection though. I was looking for simplicity.

It seems the early Indian market bikes have had a few issues. Most notably the below.

- Stator failures after a few thousand KM's (So far no known Stator issues on Australian delivered bikes)
    - Electrical gremlins with wiring (Bike stalling when turning left or similar) (These could very well be due to user modification as owners seem ready to play with things in India with no actual knowledge of how they work. The Himalayan facebook group is flooded with these sort of things and people chiming in to claim faulty bikes under warranty) Again, no electrical issues with the Australian delivered bikes that I know of.
    - I saw one instance where a rental bike with about 14k on the clock had a rear suspension failure and damage to the swing arm however I don't know what led up to that event so it's hard to comment.

The Good

- Cheap - $6990 ride away price for a brand new bike.
    - Great ground clearance
    - Great suspension travel
    - Incredibly comfortable seating position
    - Surprising the Ceat tyres are quite sticky
    - Bright headlight
    - Simple bike with easy maintenance
    - Decent sized fuel capacity (I say decent, its 15.5 litres but 17 would have made me happier)
    - Air oil cooled (This was important for me)
    - Nice smooth torque curve and usable torque range
    - Surprisingly good handling on and off road
    - Comes with a decent bash plate
    - Good dash setup with readable gauges and digital trip meters, fuel gauge etc.
    - Comes with a little tool kit like an old honda
    - 20000kms roadside assist warranty (This is not to be sneezed at)

The Bad

- Dual front fender setup is a bit stupid and low fender means rocks get caught etc.
    - Low peak power. 24.5BHP from 411cc is not a lot in a 180ishKG bike
    - Windscreen should have been 2 inches higher (Indians are typically shorter I guess)
    - Quality of seat cover could have been higher. It's some sort of soft textile.
    - Seat padding in general is just a touch too soft
    - Has a really annoying low fuel trip meter which comes on regardless of whether you want it to or not when you reach 5litres of fuel in the tank. This trip meter counts upwards in kms rather than down to 0kms like a cars expected range. This is a ridiculous "feature". especially when there is a fuel gauge and a reserve tap on the petcock! It overrides the regular trip meter which is very frustrating.
    - Very little in the way of after market farkles available (Yet)
    - Whilst motor is a smooth running work of art as far as Enfields are concerned, it is a big heavy lump of motor and its contributing to the weight of the bike
    - Taller riders will find the knee cut outs in the tank are not big enough but if you are under 6' then likely not an issue.
    - Foot peg's and gear/brake foot levers could be better made.

Mods I've done include

- NH4Motorheads pannier racks (These were quite cheap as far as racks go but the build quality matches. I'll be doing some work on these before I'm happy with them)
    - Acerbis dirt bike fender. This still needs a bit of tweaking to be perfect. I had to redrill holes which are at the extreme edge of the available area of the fender mounting. It also requires spacing at the rear to clear the clutch cable in front of the frame. You can also just space the bottom fender up to add clearance (See pic) I did this first but then decided I just wanted a high fender.
    - Greasehouse Grunt pipe with a DB killer insert. (Bike was running rich stock, better plug colour on chops now with the exhaust flowing better) Sounds a bit deeper too.
    - Pro Taper Henry/Reed 7/8 bars (Stock bars are steel) You do get ever so slight vibes in the alloy bars but not really an issue.
    - Oury grips
    - VPS Bark Busters - These just kiss the screen on full lock. I'll be notching the screen.
    - Cree LED Spotlights
    - Removal of reflectors and the sidestand alarm
    - Clamp on windscreen extender (This proved my theory about the screen needing to be taller and Ill be ditching the clamp and just bolting the extension on)
    - Rotopax knock-off 5L
    -Wolfman tank panners, enduro tank bag, fender bag, Enduro dry panniers
    - Sheepskin seat cover (Made from a sheepskin and some elastic)

I also have a K&N filter and a jet kit on order and a powerlet kit to get power into the tank bag.

Will be taking this bike on a trip through central Australia next year and some smaller trips in between now and then. I'll post up anything I find handy here so others can benefit if they purchase one.

Went out for an overnighter the weekend after picking up the bike. The KLR belongs to a mate. He is also an avid Jetboiler (You you know the type) hence the photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A day trip on some fire road

[​IMG]

Test pack for a long ride

[​IMG]

There are quite a few places (ADV Rider included) on the net where there are subjective throw away comments on threads from people who are happy to dismiss the bike because "It will have terrible build quality" or "It looks like the seat is too low" or "The suspension will be terrible" Id like to try to keep this thread objective if possible. Basically if you haven't ridden one then don't bother telling us what the bike will be like to ride. Savvy?

I'm not blind to the fact that the humble Enfield is far from the perfect bike. I'm also not blind to the fact that there are plenty of quality control and recall issues in the big marques too which people seem happy to overlook. At the price-point and no-nonsense build that this bike is available in I took a test ride and then parted with my money immediately.

Nick
  2. Anthiron

Oddometer:
    Bike Specs from Royal Enfields website.

Type - Single Cylinder, 4 stroke, Air cooled, SOHC, Fuel Injection
    Displacement - 411cc
    Bore x Stroke - 78 mm x 86 mm
    Compression Ratio - 9.5:1
    Maximum Power - 24.5 bhp @ 6500 rpm
    Maximum Torque - 32 Nm @ 4250 rpm
    Ignition system - Digital electronic ignition
    Clutch - Wet, multi-plate
    Gearbox - 5 Speed Constant Mesh
    Lubrication - Wet sump
    Engine Oil - Semi-Synthetic 15W 50 API, SL Grade & Above JASO MA 2
    Fuel supply - Electronic fuel injection (previously carb)
    Air Cleaner - Paper Element
    Engine start - Electric

Interesting that there is no change in declared power output or torque from fuel injection
    Singlespeed92, brg and gordonhs like this.
  3. Anthiron

Oddometer:
    Link database - I will keep updating this as I find things or as people post other useful links in this thread.

Reviews - These a predominantly from Australia and a couple USA as it seems the export bikes are of a later build with several bugs fixed. This is not a slight at the Indian bikes, just trying to give potential buyers in the western world an informed view. (Also speed requirements and purchase for Adventure riding means that we have a different set of criteria that the bikes need to meet)

http://bikereview.com.au/review-2017-royal-enfield-himalayan/

http://www.cycleworld.com/royal-enfield-himalayan-adventure-bike-motorcycle-review-first-impression

https://www.bikesales.com.au/editorial/details/2017-royal-enfield-himalayan-launch-review-107144/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2017-royal-enfield-himalayan-first-ride-review

http://newatlas.com/2017-royal-enfield-himalayan-review/49213/

https://wanderdriveeat.wordpress.com/2016/07/29/first-review-of-the-himalayan-from-usa/

http://www.motorcyclealliance.com.au/2017-royal-enfield-himalayan-taking-easy/

http://indianomics.co.in/2017/08/18/year-yeti-himalayan-ownership-review/ (This one is a long term review over a year but it is an early Indian model bike)

After Market Parts

NH4Motorheads pannier racks (Buyer beware of quality here) - http://www.nh4motorheads.com/store/saddle-stay-for-royal-enfield-himalayan.html

Zana Motorcycles (This guy is in India too but makes much higher quality accessories like crash bars etc) - https://www.facebook.com/Zana-Motor-Cycles-265274847290230/?fref=mentions

Noosa Motorcycles/Scooter Style in Australia (For factory parts and accessories. These guys do free shipping for orders over $50) - https://www.scooterstyle.com.au/pro...re-parts/royal-enfield-accessories-and-parts/

IndiMotard Grease House Grunt V3 exhaust - https://indimotard.com/product/grunt-himalayan-black/

Dynamic Ryderz front pannier bags - https://www.facebook.com/groups/143851439142723/permalink/693792607481934/

Barkbusters hand guards - http://www.barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/royal-enfield/himalayan-2016-on

OEM hard luggage (Pricey!) - https://www.scooterstyle.com.au/product/royal-enfield-himalayan-aluminium-panniers/

Part Numbers

Royal Enfield Continental GT master cylinder heel guard - # RE859071

OEM aftermarket exhaust (Louder) - # RE888562

K&N Air filter that fits REH - # RB-0510

Other Links

Stuart Allen's youtube channel (He has some videos he is making on the REH) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbYGfTBp227o9_WhYfs2nzg
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one also, based in Queanbeyan NSW. A bit over 3000km, my only mods so far is the RE exhaust and a heel guard from the Continental GT over the rear brake master cylinder.
    It's a well behaved friendly puppy :-)
    NWSlim and gordonhs like this.
  5. Anthiron

Oddometer:
    Hi Richard, Do you have the part number for the RECGT master cylinder guard and the RE exhaust so I can add them to the parts list? How much were they? Any benefit from the exhuast?
  6. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2015 Subaru Forester

Oddometer:
    What are the oil and valve check intervals of the Royal?

Thanks
  7. Anthiron

Oddometer:
    First oil change at 500kms, further changes and services at 5000km intervals.
    I believe in the Indian market they are advertising 10000km intervals.

Valve clearance specs are 0.08mm - 0.10mm for inlet and 0.23mm - 0.25mm for exhaust.
    These are a little sloppy if you ask me. I am used to a single required value but it is showing the theme of a low maintenance bike having looser tolerances.

The above spec comes from the service manual. No information about valve clearances is given in the owner manual and currently service manuals are not available to owners which is fairly normal for a new bike I guess.
  8. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part # RE859071 heel guard rh rider $33.26
    Bear in mind I actuall reciebed a LH one, but it fits fine, so I would double check the number.
    Exhaust is free flow ie. a perforated tube with packing. It was abut 200 grams lighter, I can't say that it makes a great difference to power I bought it for the thump!!!
    Part # RE888562 $268.65
    Anthiron likes this.
  9. Anthiron

Oddometer:
    Great info! thanks Richard.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reason for the range for valve clearance is the dealers are provided with a go/no go guage. When I start to do my own servicing I will use the tighter value...
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  11. gusthedog

gusthedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You probably should just go tighter on the inlet valves as they loosen during use and looser on the exhaust valves as they tighten up through use.
  12. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Different engines sometimes behave differently, I used to service an early crf450, they were shims, the valves stretched on those, so both clearances closed up. He could ride Saturdays tow start Sundays, no start Monday. Re shim so he could ride the following weekend, we did that for a month or so then I fitted some aftermarket valves, problem solved.
    My K100RS has shims also, after about 40,000km they never mooved 430,000km on that one, on my third one now...
  13. gusthedog

Oddometer:
    Sorry I made an assumption that the Himalayan would be screw and locknut valves not bucket and shim. With screw and locknut I believe that I'm correct - happy to be shown the error of my ways though.

So are the valves shim/bucket or screw/locknut on the Himalayan?
    remzamora likes this.
  14. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Good on ya. We all sometimes forget the reason we ride. Fun and adventure.

Keep the pics coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    remzamora and Anthiron like this.
  15. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct screw and locknut on reh, just an example of no one rule for all
  16. gusthedog

Oddometer:
    No one rule for all but a general rule for most of the screw and locknut type is that due to the heat of the exhaust gasses, they tend to tighten up over time. On my few bikes that have been screw and locknut (about 5 of the 19) the exhaust side tightened up on all of them. Also had a mechanic tell me that but a quick google isn't definitive.

Can't wait until I can afford one of these beasties. They look great fun. They would've been so much better with a 20litre tank though
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  17. Anthiron

Oddometer:
    Same thing happens to Air-cooled VW's.

20L tank would likely be overkill for such a small displacement engine but bigger than 15.5litres would be nice. You never know, if popularity increases we might see an aftermarket tank or auxiliary tank from Safari or Acerbis. Heres hoping.
    gusthedog likes this.
  18. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a big acherbis tank for my xr4, probably a squeeze to get between the front racks, mumbles looking for tape measure...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. Anthiron

Oddometer:
    Front racks don't really need to be there if you run throw over enduro style tank bags. I would happily cut them off if I could get a long range tank on there. I think you will find the XR tank is just too different to fit the REH though.
    XR4 motor is much shorter and XR4 backbone is round rather than square. Spark plug access comes to mind as the first hurdle in adapting an XR tank.

An auxillary tank for the rear of the bike which could fit under/around the luggage rack or replace the luggage rack would be better IMHO. Or maybe inside the pannier racks on the rear? plenty of space there.
  20. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever tried to get to the plug on an xr4 with the standard tank? Specil tools, you can't even see it with the big tank on. The mounts are different but the square vs round would be no problem

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk