1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Bojer

Bojer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wasn't really referring to the paint , that seemed fine to me frame paint looked thick enough and bodywork satin black so no issues ! Mechanical fit/finish , silencer bolt clearly too long by about 3/4" inch - same on all I've seen , cable loop on down tube with nothing in it but a cable tie holding clutch cable to downtube , some threaded frame inserts not painted inside so rusting etc . Nothing that a morning in the garage couldn't sort out - I've had Enfields before ....

Attached Files:

IndiBiker and Richarde1605 like this.
  2. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Comparing the Kawi Versys x300 and this bike, the Kawi is a notch better done all around.

I can see some exposed wires done up with electric tape on the RE. There's also this odd wire or cable that's sticking out on the left side on the frame under the seat. The rear footpegs are also kind of loose. So when you put them up they tend to fall to the down position when riding.

Welds are also less neat on the enfield.

That said...flaws = character? Hmm...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  3. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In some ways the Himma is similar to the best selling sports car in the world, the mx5, or miata in north american terms, not for everyone. No big block with a 6:71 blower. I guess some people just like riding not racing...
    :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  4. Bojer

Bojer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My order's placed for a black one :clap , a pre ordered one has become available so I went for it . I wanted an "all round" bike , one I wouldn't be too protective of etc , don't need 70+mph but want it to pull me up hills etc . I suspect the Honda Rally 250 to be a "better" bike but it seemed a bit twee and suspension too soft for me at 200lbs . A few scratches on the RE would only add character as opposed to "spoiling" the shinieness of the Honda For what I want/need I'm hoping the Himalayan is the answer...
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting reasoning. I suspect Versys X and G310GS would be cross-shopped against Hima as they are close in pricing/weight/power and generally occupy the same entry level ADV bike niche. Perhaps CRF 250 to make a full set.
  6. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the others are more road oriented except the Honda, which I hear is more of a dirtbike.

They don't offer the bmw or honda here for some reason but if they were available, I think I'd still opt for the Himalayan. I think they nailed the looks. Very steampunkish.

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am with you on neo-retro look but VX and baby GS are surprisingly capable off-road, check corresponding threads for videos.
  8. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a 300x prior to buying the RE and I was thinking it was a good little unit. But the thing I had against it was the engine. Don’t get me wrong it is very good, it’s just so high revving...like 10.5k. Great on the road but not sure about off-road for me. Having said that a couple of guys here rode them across the desert in Australia east to west so I’m sure it would be fine. The RE is better for me, easier to live with, comes with most of the racks and basic protection and centre stand without adding that to the cost. And I wanted something that didn’t look like everything else.
    Steve516, Bojer and Richarde1605 like this.
  9. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:

Each one is distincly different enough from the others that I don't see them as copmpeting.
    I'll use the pie anology; apple, peach, cherry, pecan pick your favorite.

Now if we could just get the other makes to bring pumkin, rhubarb, strawberry,bluberry and lemon meringue to the party..
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm sure they're fine offroad it's just that they're kinda flashy looking. I wouldn't risk getting lost with a BMW in the middle of nowhere here.

11. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to put a deposit down this weekend, sounds like I'm not the first in Mpls but I'm hoping to be 2nd.....for a white one. Just dug up an old photo here of me on my '70 AT1 125, the photo from '74. It was white and it's time for another one of those.
    Bojer likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see it that way. Hammer, bigger hammer, chisel shaped hammer, heavier hammer, etc.. point is it is a tool.

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
    Im3Wheeln likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Atleast all the KTM threadshitters have stayed out if the Himalayan discussions.
    I'd say the off-road rider will gravitate to the RE and the street tourer light bike rider the V300. Polar opposite motors and purpose.

The 310 GS might sit in the middle.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    How you could you not?

The RE is a long stroke thumper motor designed for low rpm torque in the dirt.

The V300 is a fast reving short stroke twin motor designed for hp on paved roads.

About as far apart as possible.
    I thought you understood all this?
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 stroke vs 4 stroke

Power = torque * RPM, so to get torque to rear wheel you need lower gear higher RPMs.. just saying. And BTW that VX300 not that gutless it makes more torque than CRF 250 everywhere.

But yeah there is some difference between hammers
  16. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Kawasaki engine is quite good and very usable, it comes from the Ninja 300 and for some its fine. I wanted something a bit old school and the x300 was not it. I'd love one in the stable though. I quite like small capacity bikes...I also have a CRF230L which is just fun to poke around on and is flat out at 120kph ....but it's not the Himalayan.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never even considered the vx or 310 or the honda for that matter, some weren't available yet here, and I wanted a single.
    I was building my XR400 as a back road tourer then I heard about the SWM Superdual, so I was interested, but delayed availability and a 19 inch front cooled my passion, then the himma popped into our country. Similar capacity to the xr, and the desired 21 incher up front, balance shaft, and a more linear power delivery than the xr.
    Since then the bmw, and the swm has been released here, the superdual with a 21 front option but it is also 30-40% dearer than the himma.
    No regrets here buying the himma she is just so nice in every way, the only bikes ridden since purchase are my treadly, my K100RS, (just let rego lapse), and a mates S1000RR as he wanted a go on the himma...

:-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    cyclopathic and Bojer like this.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Speaking of Cozy or even Ural......who's going to be the first to put a sidecar on this? Now wouldn't THAT be interesting? You could 'trials ride' the White Rim Trail! If anyone is looking for an agile monkey I'm up for it.
    cyclopathic and Richarde1605 like this.
  19. Bojer

Bojer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Collected mine today , mostly good , very relaxed at 50mph running in , all seems smooth , fuel gauge went from 3/4 to "red" ,auto resetting the trip after about 30 miles , filled up and only got 6 litres in so need to sort/workaround that . Probably not the best bike in the world or even the best bike I've owned but I think it will do what I need very nicely , am a happy buyer . RE Himma.jpg
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The GS is $5700 but has ABS
    The non abs V300 is $5400
    This bike is $4500 (no abs available)

The 250 rally non abs (I think the one to use to compare) is $5900

This bike is a deal as you can kit it out for the same $ as just the bike with the other models. Of course all of those can be equipped with abs too. if the lack of is a deal breaker then this is not a choice.

Of course the V300X and this bike are a step down on front suspension, but the GS & Rally sure don't have top shelf USD anyway.
    All could use some work to optimize.

GS & this bike made in India.
    V300x & Rally Thailand I think.
    Jhawkins likes this.