Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BTW, I own a gen1 Triumph Tiger Explorer. I bought the OEM service manual from Triumph. Now, however, if I was to trade up to the current Tiger, my only access to the service manual would be via paid, time-limited, online electronic manuals. So Triumph has certainly learned how to monetize it. No thanks. I'll stick with my gen1.

BMW went with electronic manuals on CD/DVD more than 10 years ago. And they are very pricey with no printing costs.

I don't need greasy finger prints on my keyboards.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't used a paper manual in ages. Even for those that I have paper versions, I still find and use a pdf instead. I much prefer a pdf for quickly finding what I'm looking for via ctrl+F vs thumbing through page after page. Plus, I find I can often see diagrams better by zooming in rather than squinting at a page.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  3. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    I print my PDFs. I add post-it notes and page markers for stuff I need to find again, amendments and corrections etc.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  4. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    As it was 8c today and i thought it was time to try out my new Weise Dakar suit. It's a 4 season suit with removable liners for thermal padding and waterproof. I took out the thermal lining but kept the waterproof liner in as showers were forecasted( they lied). Anyhow with just my base layer on. After an hours ride, my back was really cold, so i pulled over at Whiteways cafe for a nice hot cup of Tea. I was then it clicked my back vents were open. These run down 3/4 of the back panel. With the hot Tea in my and a check of all the jacket and trouser vents, i set off again. Within a few minutes, i was just at the right temperate. The rest of the day i was nice and warm. Not sure what temperature i will need to fit the thermal liner but at 8/9c it's nice and comfortable and after a non-stop 2 ride no bum burn. So at this point test 1 it's passed. Test 2 tomorrow as it's forecasted rain all day.
    s-l640.jpg s-l500.jpg
    Ice_German and bomber60015 like this.
  5. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does your temp gauge work?

I moved mine to under the headlight and hugely rely on it. If I’m cold I looks at the temp so next time it’s the same temp I know how to dress.

Today I’m wearing a thin sweater over a silk weight liner. Air temp was low 50’s this morning and I felt perfectly dressed for the day. My jacket doesn’t have a thermal layer.
    Doctor T likes this.
  6. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:

I know you weren't asking me, but....

My temp sensor is also behind the headlight. Seems to read about 5 degrees high still. Was much worse in stock location of course. I can turn on all 3 bikes, and get 3 temps, 2015 Versys 1k and 2018 Tiger 800 are always 1 degree apart, with Hima 5 degrees higher
  7. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is just in front of the steering stem.

Always within 3 degrees of what my car says.
  8. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Moved the senor ages ago. Reads +-1. Checked against my car and app on son's phone
    CaptainTrips and kitkat like this.
  9. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it touching something that could be generating heat?

I really like having the thermometer, I look at it every time I ride. This morning on my drive to work was 56 deg and my garage was a 68.

I love the thermometer!
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I would rather a voltmeter.
    HaveACuppaTea and Randy like this.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here! That would be a useful thing. Couldn't care less about the compass or temp thing personally. I usually know when I'm hot, cold, or just right. Been riding for many years and this is the first bike I've ever owned with a thermometer. Don't really see the point. I typically look at the forecast for the day if going riding, and dress accordingly. Or else, just walk out on my porch... After all these years I pretty much know what my comfort will be like at any specific temp range. Other than that, it's just a number.

But, in the winter months, I DO like my heated gear. Yes, I am a puss when it comes to cold! Typically, on a day with temps in the range that I'm willing to ride in, my regular year-round gear and my W-n-S jacket liner is all I need (I add the W-n-S gloves if cold enough). When I feel cold I reach up and turn the little knob... too warm, turn it the other way... And even in the fall/spring seasons, I'll often pack my heated gear in my panniers, Especially if going to the mountains, or think I may be out later in the evening. It can often be a big change in temp between when I leave my home in Newnan, and when it gets dark up in the mountains later that evening. Electric gear is much lighter and easier to pack than bulky layers. Plus, it's much easier to regulate the comfort factor with just a simple twist of a knob, rather than stopping to layer up or down. I think my own internal sensor works pretty good for this... :D

But, YES, I WOULD use a volt meter. This is especially useful when running electrical accessories on a bike without a lot of surplus charging system capacity, like the Himalayan. :thumb In fact, I should have one in my mailbox when I get home. If so, I hope to get it installed this weekend...
    Beemerboff and bomber60015 like this.
  12. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:

I would love to hack the stock dash and put a voltmeter into the compass’s spot
    sam2019 likes this.
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    No hacking of PCB's for me. But yeah, the compass is a waste of valuable real estate, IMO. Even if it worked reliably I wouldn't have a use for it really. But, being able to monitor my charging system makes a volt meter a tool worth having. I'll figure out where to mount it once I get a chance to see what works.
    sam2019 and bomber60015 like this.
  14. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    I have used onboard thermometers in bikes like my ST1300 to monitor ambient when I am in mountain passes in the springtime. It is good to get a heads-up when the temps are approaching freezing and rain turns to snow flurries and there are bridge decks to cross.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    For purpose. That makes sense. Where I live and ride, that isn't really a "thing". Or at least, not in the weather I tend to ride. If we have forecasts for freezing rain and ice, you won't catch me out on a bike. Brrrrr... :vardy Luckily, that's a very rare occurrence for me. Of course, up in the mountains of E TN and W NC, from what I understand, frozen roadways can be more common in some area. I just never ride up there at that time of year.

Of course, now that you mention it, being this IS a Himalayan we're talking about, and from what I understand, it was originally intended and designed as a home market bike, ice and mountain passes do begin to make sense.... Woulda been kinda nice if they had placed the sensor somewhere where it would actually read true ambient though...
  16. cwadej

Oddometer:
    Nope. Not touching anything actually. If you remove the headlight there is a channel just under the ignition cylinder. It wedges in there perfectly.

I just know that it isnt accurate, much like the compass. Although, My compass was right once, maybe even twice!

I installed a dual USB / volt meter on the handle bars, so I can charge phone or whatever, and keep an eye on the battery.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  17. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    !!! :clap
  18. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I start carrying my heated gear in the fall, just in case. Packs much better than a thick jacket liner and I can get the perfect temp.)))))
    Randy and bomber60015 like this.
  19. Solera

Solera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like to think its placement was deliberate for the higher reading. Its a psychological ploy, you go outside, look at the bike, its says its warmer than actual, so you go, "oh, not so cold after all, I'm gonna ride". In reality though, they probably just went "stick it here, who cares".

I have had ambient temp on a few bikes and it is handy at times. Although I would rather have an engine temp reading than ambient with the Himalayan, and I don't even look at that waste of space compass.
    Randy likes this.
  20. cwadej

Oddometer:
    My wife's Versys has and my FJR had a number for engine temp. I like that better than a scale. I'll eventually put a TrailTech TTO on the Himma spark plug. Figure that's the most accurate spot for this bike.