Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that teensy looks like it could guide the re-usable rocketry of spacex so "simple code", I dont know.
    I am a bit disappointed it does not have a GPS receiver onboard or else we could emulate the stuff they put on the Meteor :-)
    and I always wanted an altimeter, either by air pressure or by gps.

that "rolling display" thingy would be such a cool toy to put on the Himma ....
    who else is interested ? (You'd have to put it into the console yourself though! selling an updated complete console is way too expensive)
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can when you are stuck in traffic on a hot day, which is when I would want to use it on an air cooled motorcycle.
  3. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    Rolling display with just two characters? Doesn't sound readable.
  4. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. GP100

GP100 Slowing down

Oddometer:
  6. jcw64

jcw64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went ahead and bought this. Wherever it goes, my hobby lathe and I will make it smaller!
    Update on my temp sensor relocation. Much better and only about 1.5 degrees over. A chilly 2.3 Celsius this morning outside London.
  7. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice crisp spring day here, 30C when I left, quickly rose to 40 C so cut the run short, grabbed a quick double shot expresso and was home before it was much more than 44C.
    I have a temp gauge on my tire pressure monitor, reads within a degree of the on board one so I won't be relocating my sensor.
    And on a day like today when the tires were out in the sun before I left the pressures actually went down when they got out in the cooling breeze.
    Mind you I run 35/37so the don't usually rise more than a pound or two.
  8. jcw64

jcw64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Without getting too 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance', I draw the line at gadgets such as TPMS's, but the fact of the matter is that I don't really get out much on my Himalayan. I have engine bars, hand guards, auxiliary spotlights, heated grips and a twin USB socket. I'm lucky if I get to exceed 45 mph commuting to work and back! The voltmeter idea spiked my interest, because as others have suggested, the Hima's compass would be more useful inside a Christmas cracker.
    slownold and CaptainTrips like this.
  9. Noisymilk

Noisymilk Run What Ya Brung

Oddometer:
    Well, had a nice day yesterday pulling apart the steering stem. I was having what felt like forks bottoming out very easily both on and off road. And the apparently ubiquitous loosening of the top nut of the steering stem.

Pulled it all apart, cleaned checked and greased the bearings (all seems fine...only 2700 miles...but hearing lots about failures first 5k so wanted to look). Re Assembly and tightened to recommended "tighten till to feel a little friction turning while tipped back on center stand, then back off a little." Results were immediate. I'm betting that the main nut under the triple tree was loose and the bearings were un seating a bit over bumps.

Hopefully on the dirt tomorrow to verify.

Thanks for all the knowledge here.
    slownold, jcw64 and bomber60015 like this.
  10. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    I got a compass last year in my Christmas cracker, so I have a backup for the Hima compass! :)
  11. BillMcQuade

BillMcQuade Slow way round

Oddometer:
    True.

You'd have to get innovative with the use of the other segments. Maybe use the "clock hand" position of the direction arrow for 12V, 13V, 14V, etc.

It's a moot point anyway, because I can't see anyone going to the effort required, for so little reward...
  12. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Thinking of dumping my Satnav and using Maps on my new to me Samsung S8. This is the first smartphone I've ever used, my usual Nokia is over 20 years old and has served me well. My son gave me this S8 after what must be about 5 years of sitting in a draw. My tech is always up to date. Back to the subject, where and how have you mounted your phones. Pictures please.
  13. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    For standing voltage/percent charged, the difference between 100% charged and only 60% charged is 12.7 to 12.2 volts. So, you need at least 3 characters and a separator.

BTW, here is my Christmas cracker compass. Even less accurate than the Hima. It actually points to the metal keyring that it came with. ;)

Attached Files:

JB44 and Doctor T like this.
  14. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    Built mine out of RAM mount parts that clamp to the handlebars. I have shown the X-Grip only in the pics. The rubber sheet pulls up around the phone corners as an extra restraint.

Attached Files:

15. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I have the mount just not sure where on the bike to position the phone. Hopefully in eye sight.
  16. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But if it drops as low as 9V or gets as high as 20V you will know all about it, so you could really drop the 1.
    22 means 12.2V
    27 is 12.7V
    34 is 13.4V.
  17. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    True, if you know the code. A dead battery is 10.5v or less, so could be 05. Under charge, it would be 37 to 47.
  18. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    I have mine lower on the Hima. The ball is clamped on the handlebar next to the handlebar clamps. I have a variety of RAM extensions of different lengths. But if it is a phone, I would want to keep it low behind the windscreen for protection from the elements.
    Doctor T likes this.
  19. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of us might consider having the correct pressure in our tires a vital safety measure, and something which helps us to maintain that is worth having.
    Others might prefer a twin USB, presumably to power gadgets which keep them connected to the social media, but in this state "driver inattention" has overtaken speeding as the prime cause of accidents, so some might question this approach.
    In sixty years / 1,350,000 km of bike riding I have had five punctures and never had an off I haven't ridden home from, so I think my attention to detail has been worth it.
    And despite being in my 75th year and usually having three bikes road legal at any time I have still managed to put 25,000 km on the Hima in little over a year - helps that my usual coffee runs are more than a 200 km round trip, of course, and that we have a 52 week riding season.
    And my TPM is solar powered, IMHO the entire electrical system on the Hima is underspecified and I have no intention of adding any load to it in any way!
    rockt likes this.
  20. jcw64

jcw64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some of us might like to follow our GPS or reinflate our tyres by the side of the road. Social media whilst riding a motorcycle? Whatever next! :rofl
    Doctor T likes this.