Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. mjhb

mjhb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some quality kit here. Both phone mounts have received rave reviews here in the UK.

https://enfieldaccessories.co.uk/
  2. Solera

Solera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If i could make it fit I would put one of these in,
    pixxilcd-13p2_feature_wgui_2.png

1.3" in diameter. Has its own processor so you can display what you want, $29.95US. I have used their bigger displays for other things. Made a fancy boost gauge for an old 4x4 I had. They interface with Arduino quite easily too.

Maybe I'll get one and just stick it on the outside, over the top of the compass.
    BillMcQuade and Doctor T like this.
  3. Solera

Solera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All this talk about monitoring voltage and temps etc, got me to thinking and reminiscing. Those of us old enough to remember riding air cooled bikes back in the 70's, and if we equate the Himalayan to that era in quality. Did you/we really even think about how hot the engine got?. As I recall we just did regular maintenance and just rode the things. If the bike was overheating you would sniff and go "gee, that smells cooked". Let it cool down then back to riding. I am mainly thinking of dirt bikes here as that's what I rode a lot growing up on the farm.

Maybe its the all the electronics now on the bikes that makes us obsess over a .1V drop etc, and whether a compass works a we expect. Different expectations nowadays I guess.
    headonz and Doctor T like this.
  4. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    We didn’t shoot photos of our foods either...
  5. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree that people obsess about just about everything these days, (maybe because we can discuss things with so many people whereas before we were on our own), but it really seems like this bike runs hot. Haven't there been 2 engine failures amongst owners on this thread that likely occurred due to riding in hot climates? So I'm thinking a temperature gauge of some sort might not be a bad thing.

I've never had a volt meter on a bike, (and I use heated gear), but I've always thought they were a good idea and they're simple and cheap. Maybe it's time for me to get one...
  6. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The outer ring is 2,8cm, the instrument only 1.5cm in diameter
    most small indicators are too big

41wcM6x5wxL.jpg

compass.jpg
  7. Solera

Solera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, no. Though growing up on a farm in NZ we used to shoot our food, literally.

I forgot to add that back in the 70's the engines probably weren't as lean as the are now, so that would have some input into overheating or not.

I am not against monitoring stuff at all. I have OBD2 gear in my 4x4 so I can see how much I am cooking the automatic gearbox off-road, amongst tracking fuel consumption, and being able to reset error codes. Loved all the nerdy info my BMW's provided. My Honda also has a instantaneous fuel consumption display and on long trips it becomes a game as to how low you can get the number, without going to slow. Makes one focus on gear changes and being smooth.

I am tempted to setup a display of data from the OBD2 connector. Apparently current and average fuel consumption is available. Or just use an app on an old mobile phone.
  8. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And tolerances were not so tight either.
  9. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    These old bikes sometimes had a magneto, so the engine ran independently of the electrics.
    Dynamos and mechanical VC units were pretty bullet proof too, as were basic points ignitions.
    But most bikes still had an ammeter.
    With today's electronics we are dependent on a good fully charged battery, and something as simple as a dry joint in the charging system circuitry can write off a lot of expensive components and totally immobilize the bike.
    And current batteries do not grow old gracefully like old wet lead acids did - death is sudden and swift.
    So some like just a little more than a charge light, to get a bit more warning.Their choice!

When I was 18 I bought a 2 bob map of Europe from a service station, jumped on my Velo Venom and drove from Edinburgh to Athens in six days without missing a turn, or the bike a beat.
    No fancy luggage or gear , just my lightweight backpacking gear on a home made carrier. And no camera1
    So if the day ever comes when my I can't find my way to the cafe, or 3000km across Oz, without some electronic gadget on the bars telling me which way to turn at the next corner it will be the day I give up riding a bike!
    little ackman and JB44 like this.
  10. ruckus430

ruckus430 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody figure out how to fix the condensation build up on the guages? Took my first ride and it was the first thing I noticed and the moisture stayed the whole trip
  11. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some people have reported having success by putting a wee silica sachet in the back. The other option is to drill a hole or two in the back of the case.
  12. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Most problems are caused by this little thing called the internet and social forums. Before this advancement we oldies on bikes seemed to have fewer problems and if you did you just meet up with a few friends and it was fixed. Am sure these days with forums(with respect) like ours it can make you paranoid about the slightest thing. If you read forums about your next bike or even your first bike in full detail and read though them it would put you off bikes forever. I find even the tiniest problem can be escalated to a major problem within minutes. This can really scare the pants off the new owner or people with little mechanical knowledge. Pre-internet and pre-hi-tech days were a lot easier on bikers. It made people think for themselves. OK forums can be a godsend when you're totally baffled but you have to sort out the Wheat from the Chaff.
    Am with Beemerboff, i did the same when i was 17. Packed a rucksack and a cheap pair of throw over panniers looked at AA map of France and just went. These days i need a sat nav, spare parts, inner tubes, a cell phone, Hi-tech clothing with most packed in overpriced luggage. What i think am trying to say is the internet has made us all soft, paranoid and the total reliance on other people. The plus side is it can gather a group of people together who have the same interests. You can't deny technology but it can make molehills out of pimples.
    FloydNY, headonz, RCruiser and 2 others like this.
  13. ruckus430

ruckus430 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will try that
  14. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just read a report on the Tiger forum of a guy with a just out of warranty bike who could not get the clock display to keep the correct time. Solution? Triumph had to replace the entire TFT instrument display! Hima seems old school in comparison.
    Doctor T likes this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like mine high, front center. I use mine almost exclusively for following GPX track files I upload to the phone. So, no audio "driving instructions", just following a line on the screen. Having it mounted up high allows me to glance at it without really taking my eyes off the road very much. I've used handlebar mounts on another bike and found that when I looked at the GPS I basically lost even peripheral vision of the road ahead so much prefer it mounted up higher.

I'm using a a Juiced Squeeze charging mount on a Zana mount on the Himalayan...

IMG_1218.JPG

After using it mounted up high like that I made a custom mount for the XT to allowed me to run my GPS/phone in a similar position on it as well...

IMG_0879.JPG
    Doctor T likes this.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I have a few bits of Ram laying about and a Zana mount like yours. Wasn't sure if to mount it on there or on the handlebars. I have a ram ball on the handlebar clamp but with handguards and 2 switches mounted there already, it seemed a bit clustered. The point of asking people for pictures was for me to see them before i started fitting and peoples advice where they thought the best place to put the phone. I will post a pic tomorrow once I've fitted the mount.
    One question, does it suffer much sun glare fitted there?
    Did you make the mount from a pair of handlebars? If it is that's a great idea.
  17. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone has their own ideas of what works best for them. This is just what works best for me, for the reasons cited. When it comes to sun glare, it just depends on the position of the sun... But, with it mounted on the bars it was at a much flatter angle upward so I could see the screen. This tended to pick up more glare, IMO. Mounted high, the screen is on a more vertical plane so unless the sun is directly behind you, it doesn't have much glare. But, for me, the biggest thing was putting it up more in my line of sight. I use it for following GPX track files, and they are FULL of twists and turns, so being able to glance at it helps me stay aware of where I am and stops me from blowing past my turns. It works for me.

And yes, the main crossbar of the XT's mount was made from sections of the stock bars cut and welded back together so form the shape I wanted...

IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0837.JPG IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0876.JPG
    fireflyr and Doctor T like this.
  18. benebob

benebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those who have changed their fork oil. Got any recommendations on a brand. Guessing weight is 10w right? Can I get by with one bottle?
  19. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    That is a really a great idea and when you think of it a simple idea too.
  20. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I think this is true. But also the opposite is true. There were a few cars as a young mechanic that I truly hated because they were just shitboxes. They should have never released them on the unsuspecting public, and you never see them anymore for good reason. And the public was unsuspecting because there was no forums or social media.
    And while I’m on my soapbox... the thing that really annoys me about GPS and a reason I very rarely use it is the way it just follows a path and you have no reference to where you have been. Unlike on a map where north is always at the top of the page. Oh yes I understand why they do it that way and it makes it easy for people who have no sense of direction to follow it, that’s also an issue, it doesn’t foster any sense of direction at all. I had a small Garmin trex? that I could set so north was at the top but it’s too small to use on a bike but mostly the ones I’ve seen can’t be set like that. I’d prefer paper.
    Doctor T likes this.