Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did that. Lost almost 40 pounds. At 210 with 60 pounds of gear, my total load is still 100 pounds less than the Himalayan's claimed capacity. Yet, with the preload at maximum, the bike has a definite squatty-rear/light-front feeling. Not bad, just enough to make me feel a little more cautious and wish the spring was just a bit more studly.
  2. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, I want to lose at least 20 before summer. Done it before, but gets harder every time. Your are describing my worry. However, I won't let that stop me.
    buckthedog likes this.
  3. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of a Hima gathering. Real low key, no contests or anything. Somewhere around May 15-20. Make it before Labor Day to avoid the crowds. I will recommend Kickstand lodge if they are open. Not fancy, but you'll have clean towels and Mo keeps cold beverages for rent. Photo from a previous event...nighthawk rally. That was a real good time. Young, fast guys formed groups, old slow guys formed groups, each planned their own ride. We've had guys show up from Oregon, Texas, Michigan, etc.

IMG_3574.JPG
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  4. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ScottFree, thanks so much for your input. You were certainly the catalyst to getting others interested in this problem. I probably didn't fully take on board your comments whilst being overly-impressed with your knowledge of 12v schematics!
  5. Ductor411

Ductor411 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lost, with my wife’s support, 42 lbs in 5 months by following a calorie counting diet (800per day) to reverse Type 2 diabetes, and was successful: my wife lost the same amount as well. For riders in UK, wanting to do the same, buy Life Without Diabetes by Professor Roy Taylor. I now weigh 14 stones, and the bike seems to appreciate the reduction, as well as the 14 tooth gearbox sprocket from Hitchcocks.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Figuring out what caused the symptom was a fun exercise. I had to figure out which wires were carrying power, and which were just carrying information. The operation of the neutral indicator, and the logical inversion of the side stand switch, were particular puzzles till I figured out what was actually happening. Glad to see it was right. And now I know a lot more about how the Himalayan "thinks," which gives me a better shot at checking the correct wire, relay or component when something on my bike fails. The "jiggle every wire and see what happens" approach gets pretty old when there are a million wires!

Unfortunately, this is the future. There is so much software in even a relatively simple vehicle like the Himalayan, and so many wires that carry signals to a computer rather than actually making things happen directly. I occasionally get to sub an auto-shop class at our high school, and once you're past basic maintenance things like changing a belt, it's all software and systems stuff. At least the Himma doesn't have a CAN('t)BUS or interlocks implemented entirely in software (so that you couldn't jumper a switch; you'd have to actively send a series of signals in the correct order).

It's interesting to see how the dash indicators on the Himalayan don't reflect the world as seen by the ECU, which is something to keep in mind in the future. You can have side stand up (both in reality, and verified by the lack of the "side stand" indicator on the dash), while the ECU is convinced it's down (that's what was happening to you with the faulty wire). You can also have the bike in neutral, as perceived both by rolling back and forth and by the starter circuit, but in gear as seen by the ECU (which would mean you could crank till the battery went dead and the bike still won't start). It's almost as bad as the Pressure Overflow Relief Valve control on the Three Mile Island reactor, where you could have a little control panel light saying the valve had been closed when in fact it was wide open and spewing radioactive steam.

For future reference, if somebody wanted to completely defeat all the interlocks, so that no switch or wire failure would prevent the bike from starting and running (but, of course, allow it to start and run in gear on the kickstand), I'm pretty sure that grounding pins 25 and 29 on the ECU connector (side stand and neutral) and pin 1 of the starter relay (coil ground) would do the job... and would leave the neutral light and side stand warning on the dash fully functional. Ah, the fun things you find out by reading wiring diagrams.
  7. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

Approximately 7 pounds in weight equals a horsepower. You gained a bunch of power!
    Ductor411 likes this.
  8. Ductor411

Ductor411 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm - - - another 6 bhp should come in very handy, and we are still dieting, albeit not so drastically. Another benefit - apart from reducing the risk of amputations or sight loss with type 2 - is that I can now wear the leather jeans I last could get into twenty years ago.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm about to eat my way out of some expensive gear. Need to change my ways.
  10. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried and was successful using intermittent fasting. I eat "breakfast" at 1:00 pm and finish "dinner" at 9:00 pm. No food in between. I'm a runner and biker and work out everyday. I went from 150 to 135 pounds without any effort and never hungry. Within reason, you can eat what you want within that 8 hour window. You can choose your own window. Google intermittent fasting.
    HaveACuppaTea and Randy like this.
  11. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reached a point where I was told gaining anymore weight would be bad for my health. In particular, my wife said, "If you tell me you need to buy a new Aerostich jacket because you're too fat to fit in the old one, I'll kill you!"

So I lost close to 40 pounds. Then I bought a new 'Stich because the old one was 22 years/200K miles old and pretty badly worn out. :clap Ya gotta have priorities.
    bomber60015, sam2019 and Beemerboff like this.
  12. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fork
    If you are serious the springs are 36 mm dia so close to that works, slightly oversize is OK.

Racetech site has spring details.

Rigid black irrigation pipe 25nb is also OK , if you decide you need new spacers.

Dropping the tubes in the triples 3 mm also gets a mention somewhere and it works for me, just a nicer turn in with my Anekee Adventures.

FWIW I have an Ohlins on all my other monoshock bikes and have never regretted the cost, quality lingers on long after price is forgotten!
    OzRider64 likes this.
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huge advocate of intermittent fasting.

Got interested in fitness a few years ago, and in doing quite a bit of research on the subject, stumbled upon the whole intermittent fasting “thing”... I found the concepts very intriguing. And even more so when I considered the fact that I had more or less been doing it my entire life and didn’t even know it was a “thing”. It was just my typical eating style.

As a side note, I’m 56 haven’t weighed recently but I’d guess I’m around 140 currently, and probably haven’t fluctuated in weight more than 10 pounds since high school. By contrast, everyone in my family is “noticeably” overweight.

And as to the comment about eating what you want, I could probably sit down at a table and out eat most members here. I get kidded about it all the time. And yes, I eat whatever I want when I eat. Yet just don’t eat all the time. Never drink soft drinks, and avoid unnecessary sugar and sweets normally. Very rarely eat before lunch, and sometimes eat dinner, other times not. I eat when I’m hungry, I just don’t eat out of habit. And “hunger” can be very habit forming...
    HaveACuppaTea and buckthedog like this.
  14. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuning in on new year's eve, the last thing I was expecting on this forum was a weight-watchers discussion. Personally, I have put on 5 lbs since the beginning of the year and my weight has not varied in over 20 years. Call it COVID calories. ;-)
    OzRider64 and bomber60015 like this.
  15. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    First rule of dieting is - if you don't buy it you can't eat it, so getting involved in the shopping helps!

And the first rule of electrical fault finding is that 90 % of electrical faults are mechanical - that is, poor connections or earths., incomplete circuits, etc.
    Which is why the wiggle test has stood the test of time.

Auto's now usually have a separate fused and relayed circuit for each component, which suggests to me that they have found overloaded and worn out switches and relays can cause problems.
    And on some more basic bikes with a limited number of relays a relay can be part of more than one , unrelated circuits.
    Which can be puzzling unless reading wiring diagrams comes easily to you , or you get out the colored pens and draw out the circuits separately!
    CaptainTrips and bomber60015 like this.
  16. slownold

slownold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cripes, the new year only started 12 hours ago. Putting on 5 lbs already is pretty impressive :rofl
  17. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    I love this thread. I may buy a Himalayan just to take part in this knitting circle. That and because of Randy's damn glowing recommendations. (I'm gonna have to come ride with you one day, man) The KLR guys just eat more and talk about getting heavier and heavier springs. (Ironic, because that is exactly what I'm talking about too....not bc of weight gain, but 2 up need on a very worn shock. I promise)

Happy new year!
    Doctor T, OzRider64 and FEG32 like this.
  18. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not quite yet 2021 here. I'm putting on as many calories as I can, so I can start losing them "next year."
    Doctor T and slownold like this.
  19. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nonsense. KLR guys talk about milk crates. (Speaking as a recovering KLR guy) :-)
    bomber60015, offtheback and Doctor T like this.
  20. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds neat--I typically go to western NC in early June, but might be able to move it up. But... the guys in that photo look mighty young to me...