Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same in Oz, Shinkos are a few bucks less than Michelins so no reason to use them.
    i have had IRCs on my R75/7 and was surprised how good they were for a budget tire, felt a lot like my dearly departed Michelin Mac 50's.
    Doctor T likes this.
  2. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did it for the weight save...shame your across the 'pond' I could have sold you my stock one.
  3. byteofthecherry

Oddometer:
    :-)...*zips are re-useable type*('cos' I'm saving the planet)

RWheel.JPG
    Doctor T and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  4. byteofthecherry

Oddometer:
    "Perhaps there are some production tolerance variations that I'm not aware of"...:-)...so obviously not an owner of the famous 'indian made' rear carrier/side rack supports.
    Doctor T likes this.
  5. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the reply. With a bit of luck I may have one in spring. Winter has started to arrive so not many big rides planned just short trips up 100km depending on the weather. Sounds like covid is still a bit of a problem in parts of the UK.
    Like your thinking.
  6. byteofthecherry

Oddometer:
    15 minutes all in...and I've not done one for a long time.

Points to note: (a)Use a zip tie on the rear caliper as well as the sprocket (b)Slip the strap into the little gap on the rear frame otherwise it slips off(not sure if this is feasible if the rear fender is on) however the passenger pad should prevent this (refer to pics)

No real kneeling/sitting with wheel between legs, doing your back(yet again :() etc...just sit on the milk crate(yup…rare as unicorn shit)...ratchet up to align, position disc between pads, insert chain adjusters, big blob of heavy grease on RH spacer & position, wiggle(one handed) for final line up...rubber mallet...two/three taps...!!...'job jobbed'...probably worth including a cut to length strap(I've seen them with quite small mechanisms) in the tool kit on the bike and 6/7 REUSABLE zip ties.

P.S. Normally I'd put the chain on as well, but mine is split link so I'll play with that later.

P.P.S. DrT's strap idea is the key...the ratchet/zips make it just that bit easier.

**JUST NOTICED REAR AXLE SHAFT DOES NOT HAVE A SPLIT PIN SAFETY HOLE DRILLED AT NUT END…!!…FIRST TIME I'VE SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS**

Attached Files:

7. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm... there are two cats in the system? Even on an "antique" 2018 model?

I have been concerned about the parts situation, which is part of the reason I rode to my favorite dealer (yes, I have my choice of three) on Saturday to pick up a spare oil filter (OK, the bigger reason was nice weather and the chance to ride 75 miles in the country). I now have two oil filters, one air filter, and both sprockets in the stash-o-spares, enough to assure I can maintain the bike at least through my planned trip to Utah in July (didn't buy a "genuine RE chain" because I already have a hopefully-better aftermarket one). I recall waiting six months for an air filter last year.

I don't have a lot of experience with cat failures (this is only my second bike with one), but a friend who's seen a lot of automobile units go bad says a very common failure mode is that the thing breaks up just enough to clog the passages, but not enough to blow out the tailpipe. Of course. "Fail safe" is not a concept in the vehicle industry.

I may need to see if I've got the budget for a full replacement. Does the Delkevic have a place for the O2 sensor? And does it have a "quiet enough to ride by two police stations on the way home from the bar" option? (Not that I do that--can't afford the bars in this town--but it's a good standard for acceptable noise level).
    Doctor T likes this.
  8. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stickers off screen. Used warm water. Peanut butter required a bit more elbow grease than anticipated but got rid of the glue residue. Thanks...
    To remove the fuel hose from the pump I just squeeze the 2 squeezy bits on the connector and carefully slide it off? Better to ask than f-up. Service manual keeps it secret. And then fuel will run out of the tank? So prepare funnel and bottle... Or fuel won't run out? Idk, first FI tank to come off.
    What is this electrical connector just behind the negative battery terminal, down near that tiny earthing connector (?) for earthing fault lights, maybe? Help me now memory, please...? Nope, that's all that's coming through... IMG_20210429_174221.jpg Looks like it should be slid onto something but can't see what.

2018 model, January according to the tank test sticker, used in the tropics, not by me, not real cold very often though, ethanol in most or all petrol, along with whatever else turns it green. Or is THAT the ethanol? Tank breather hose? Cracked through. Exits by swing arm pivot. (Hence tank removal question). IMG_20210429_173705.jpg

What are these holes in my head? One goes into spark plug recess, one goes down through that hole to the top cylinder fin. IMG_20210429_173018.jpg
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I have not cut one open to verify, it is my understanding that there are two cats; one in the obvious place in the header, and the other in the muffler itself.

Yes, the Delkevic system has a lambda port. And yes, it is plenty quiet. I run mine with the removable baffle out and don't find it loud at all, but it has a much better tone. I have other bikes that are considerably louder, but I never even think about the Himalayan's volume anywhere I happen to be. In other words, it's not a bike that I avoid throttle application while passing a house, police, a church on Sunday morning, etc... With the baffle in place, it is pretty close to the stock system in volume. I bought the optional USFS spark arrestor in case I was ever in an area where one was required. With it installed, it is perhaps more quiet than stock. For reference, I am using the 14" SS oval muffler. Can't speak to the other available options they offer.

Just looked and it appears they have increased their prices a bit... When I bought mine the system was $225.95, the optional SA was $49.95, for a total of $275.90, shipped. Once I received the system I was seriously impressed with the quality for price. If this same setup had a Staintune logo it would no doubt cost twice as much.
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes on removing fuel line. Just squeeze and pull straight back and off. Be careful as the spigot is plastic. No fuel will come out of the tank when the connector is removed, but some residual fuel will still be in the line and will come out, so best to have a rag handy to catch it when you pull it off.

The multi pin plug is the factory ECU diagnostic plug.

Can't say for sure from the photo, but the hose may be the tank overflow drain. Once you remove the QD and electrical plug from the tank, and take out the two bolts from the rear, you can slide the tank back off of the two forward mounting pucks and lift the front. Once you get the front up, you can see another electrical connector (blue) that needs to be undone, and two nipples with hoses coming off. One is the tank vent, the other is the tank overflow. If your bike has an evap system, the vent hose will run to it and the overflow drain will run back and terminate near the swing arm pivot area.

Once you get the tank off you'll be able to clearly see what that hose does.
  11. ToasTje

ToasTje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How can you spot if a silencer has a lambda port? I'm looking at the Lextek as a possible alternative for the stock exhaust.
    Mostly because on YT I like the sound more and because it looks a bit shorter than stock so it should be easier to fit panniers.

There's a 'compirason' video off several exhaust, it's just parts of different YT vids combined so all with different recording devices.
    tacojoe, Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  12. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's on the header up near the exhaust port, not on the silencer. If just replacing the silencer on the stock header you'll still have the Lambda sensor in the stock location. If replacing the header it will need to have the port in which to place your sensor. I would assume that most will come so equipped.
    ToasTje likes this.
  13. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    My mate cut the Cat section out of the downpipe and rewelded the pipe together. Because i wanted to look standard he cut the CAT internally and reused the standard piping
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Phone them the UK importer is in Brighton. I know it's a different country but they are very friendly and always welcome customer's calls. As Lextec is an aftermarket exhaust and for the age of your bike it should have a bolt hole for the lambda senser.

I have to agree with GP100 Shinko tyres are not much cheaper over here. I looked them up and they were only £3.00 cheaper than a TKC80 in 130 size.
  15. byteofthecherry

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm...!!...Lambada...:-)

Ahhh..!!...Yes...it does have one.
    little ackman and Doctor T like this.
  16. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added a quick disconnect on my fuel line about 3 inches back from the one connected to the fuel tank. I had read cases where the plastic fuel pump has broken from removing the fuel line, it gets brittle. This way I can disconnect without wiggling the original and putting pressure on the plastic fitting.
    bomber60015, jcw64, Doctor T and 3 others like this.
  17. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    To me, the Zard can sounds beefier with a nice thud to me but £300 plus just for the can is not cheap.

Just checked the Lextec site and they only made end cans for our bikes.
  18. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a most excellent idea! I've always been a bit leery of that fragile looking pump spigot, hence the warning I gave to Kiwithl earlier. And you just provided my solution. :thumb
    byteofthecherry and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  19. OBX-RIDER

OBX-RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Shinko 244s were 3.00-21 57L Frt and 5.10X17 67P Rear. I ran them both at 25 f- 32r and 27f - 34r and frankly noted no discernible difference. The Shinko site recommends "max load at 33 psi" for the 5.10x17. The 57 is max load 507 lbs., the "L" is a recommended max speed of 75 mph. The 67 is max load 677 lbs, the P is 93 mph. The somewhat larger size of the rear tire may have contributed to the heavier feel of steering.

There has been some history of Shinkos "chunking". I ran two sets of 705s on my older GS and never experienced it but a friend did on his GS. I have heard all kinds of stuff on why from using too much pressure to running too little. My friend lives in AZ which typically endures scorching highway surface temps so that may play. They are very inexpensive here in the US and are made in Korea not China as frequently reported.
    GP100 likes this.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Yes we have two cats. One in the head pipe under the heat shield by the brake pedal and the other is in the muffler at the inlet end. Ours are plated metal instead of plated ceramic. I'll come back to this post later and insert a video from youtube.