Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lil help? What’s the steps to disable the rear ABS (2021US model). Doing what the handbook sez yields .... nothing.
    Doctor T likes this.
  2. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes , I think it is.
    When I fitted mine I pulled the header up tight and square to the head first, then I packed and extended both the fixings so the system was sitting stress free .
    For a few reasons, one that SS work hardens , so it will crack sooner than mild steel if stressed, and a stress free system will result in less perceived engine vibrations, and perhaps noise.
    It was an old tuners trick on Auto's , after fitting the exhaust the system was heated cherry at a few points and the system allowed to settle loose and stress free.
    BMW still do it with their new cars, after a session an a vibrating plate to settle the engine mounts and exhaust hangers , but as the stress is fed into the floor pan it is much more noticeable than on a bike------.
    dcoop likes this.
  3. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of what "tab" do you speak? Mind didn't have anything other than the exhaust port flange, the rear mount, and the muffler hanger...

Damn. Just went out and looked at mine and it looks exactly the same. I never even noticed. But it's been on there for a few thousand miles now, and I've even hit the pipe hard enough to put a pretty good dent/gouge in it up closer to the front, and there's no sign that the header has ever made contact with the foot peg hanger... Knowing what I know now, if doing it again I'd likely put a chamfer on that corner. But as it sits now there's really not room and I'm not going to disturb the exhaust in order to do it as it hasn't so far created an issue... If I ever need to remove the exhaust for another reason, I'll probably throw a grinder on it right quick...
    Grasshopper's Ride likes this.
  4. SafetySecondADV

SafetySecondADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So with some advice and tips from this forum I finally adjusted the valves. Found TDC, made some very small adjustments(exhaust was a bit loose, intake was a bit tight) and all seemed good.

I feel that I'm hearing a tick that wasn't there before. I know some ticking can be from the adjustment, but not sure if this is the same noise others mention. I think my biggest issue is I keep hearing the Himalayan is a noisy bike but my Himalayan is the only one I've heard and have nothing to compare it to.

I attached a quick video. Any input would be helpful. I know it's so hard to hear clear on a video but it seems like it turned out pretty good.

5. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... well glad you added a new skill set! It still starts and runs so you done good. But typically the intake stays normal(ish) and the exhaust tightens up. It's rare the exhaust is loose, unless the PO set it too loose. Its the kind of job where you "measure twice and cut once." Anyhoo. it sounds fine to me, but hearing is not what I'm known for. The trick is that loose valves tick or tap, tight valves are quiet. Loose=ok:) tight=bad :(
    dcoop and modiorne like this.
  6. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Ok, I am confused. A bit ago, I asked and other have talked about the fuel tank overflow line. I may have called it a vent line (which is the smaller one) The one I need is the one of the two that self-disintegrates.

I thought it was 5/16th, but I put a scrap piece of old fuel line I had left over from whatever, and it fits well. I looked back through my old Rocky Mtn ATVMC orders and I **think** I bought it there, and its 1/4" which is what, about 6mm.

Which one seems correct. If it's 1/4, I'll order the flexible, clear (or colored) fuel line from them. It was less than $10 for around 4 ft.
  7. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    Saw another Hima today, at the beach on Coronado. Anyone here?
  8. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Off-topic...love your videos/music...and the 'tent' :-)
  9. Scottyhumbucker

Scottyhumbucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I was on the beach in Coronado. Does that count?:jack
    DaFoole, dcoop and CaptainTrips like this.
  10. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trade it for a 2018? :D
    Doctor T and bomber60015 like this.
  11. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I'd have to listen in person to make up my mind but through the internet to what's left of my ears they sound "comfortably loose". Soft tick is the old rule of thumb from back in the ancient days of cylinders (and riders) were made of iron. When the valve train quieted up you knew the engines temperature was crowding the safety margin. "Tap" meant the valves needed adjustment and "clack" meant they needed adjustment right now.

Thank God we have aluminum cylinders and oil/air cooling.

Properly adjusted to spec the feeler gages wil have a decent amount of drag when pulling them out. If the feelers just glide in and out the valves arent adjusted right. If the min feeler fits and max won't then your in spec. Mine were perfect and quiet right up to the first service. I fixed that. Oh, and make sure your using the right gages. A couple folks used decimal inch feelers instead of decimal millimeter feelers by mistake. It happens.
    dcoop and Doctor T like this.
  12. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Got my KennyBooBear aux light brackets today. Fine quality totally worth every penny and then some.
    dcoop likes this.
  13. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 2020 I fitted a switch into the orange wire of the 5A fuse.
    20210501_102600_HDR.jpg
    I chose to fit the toggle switch out of sight, but within easy reach, should I need it. Being a commuter, I've little need for a handlebar-mounted ABS on/off switch.
    20210309_132620_HDR.jpg
  14. mjhb

mjhb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mosko Moto Backcountry 35 pannier kit.

Thinking about using them in the standard RE pannier racks.

Anyone use them ? Do they fit ? Not mentioned in the ‘fitment’ section of the website.

Any comments gratefully received !

Cheers,

Matt
  15. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tappet adjusters - what size square head? 2mm or 3mm? I want to buy a tappet adjust tool to hopefully make it easier next time.
    My eyes can't focus on the ruler scale anymore and I don't have a micrometer. I do need new glasses aswell. (I already asked this but maybe the question got lost amongst the rest of the drivel I posted).

I should have thanked Loadtoad for the extra QD in the fuel line idea. Sorry about that chief.
    Doctor T likes this.
  16. AlbySA

AlbySA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the starter relay on the carby version of the Himalayan has anyone had any failures of the starter relay ?
  17. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relay or solenoid?
  18. AlbySA

AlbySA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay let's see if I get this right. Sometime today after getting some items from a shop I went to start the bike and after turning the ignition on. Then letting it cycle through to start the engine, after pressing the starter everything went blank on the instruments and of course the engine did not start. I tried it a couple more times still did not start. So I managed to push start the bike and headed back home. After getting home and inspecting the starter relay and trying to start the bike same thing happened again the instruments went blank. With the ignition still on and the instruments blank after I moved the starter relay about the instrument panel lit up.
  19. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your battery is low. Also, check the connecting pins in the plug. RE seam to like a lot of electric greases which can cause problems.
  20. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    IRC it's a 4mm. Best to buy from Hitchcock. Part No: 60534 or CooperB. I still use spanners that i cut down and bent many years ago.