Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Probably similar to older models but easier as the switch is already fitted. No wires have to be run to the handlebars. A JCW64 said but you may only need to fit small jumper wires to the Orange wire. Really need to see a wiring diagram first.
  2. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's a 4mm. I just use a #0 square-head deck screw with a 90º bend in it.
    Hitchcocks sells a nice English-made adjuster tool (wrench to turn the locknut with concentric socket to hold the adjuster) for what I think is a rather excessive amount of money. Motion Pro sells an equally functional tool that is quite a bit cheaper in the USA (through Revzilla, etc.). I suspect it's actually made in Taiwan, Korea or China, so it might be cheaper/more readily available where you are ("thl" is Thailand, I assume).
    dcoop and Kiwithl like this.
  3. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait... yours has an ABS on/off switch? According to YouTube, you should be able to turn off rear ABS by holding that switch (down next to the fuel gauge) for 10-15 seconds, until the ABS light flashes three times. I notice that while the video (at least the clip google found for me) doesn't say this explicitly, the guy had the ignition (key) on but the engine was not running at the time. That may be intentional--my '06 GS had an ABS on/off switch that required you to hold the switch on while turning on the ignition. Some safetycrats seem to think you should not be able to turn ABS on/off on the fly.

I am probably going to make a stop by Randy's Cycles (my RE dealer) today, and if I remember I'll ask him. Or just play with one of the 2021 bikes on the floor. He leaves the keys in them...
  4. AlbySA

AlbySA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked the battery 12.8 volts. I'll do some more testing tomorrow and let you know.
  5. peow42

peow42 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Just joined up. I did my first valve adjustment on my 2021 Himalayan. Triple checked clearances. Put it all back together and the bike will not idle at all. If I peg the throttle at 1.5k RPM+ it will stay alive. Engine doesn't sound any different, but it ran just fine prior to the valve adjustment. As far as I can tell, no hoses are loose, and everything is hooked back up. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
  6. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Double check all the hoses and lines. If you adjusted the valves properly, that should not affect idling, but the if the hoses and lines are not correct, it could. Double check.
    Doctor T, peow42 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  7. peow42

peow42 n00b

Oddometer:
    After triple checking the hoses, the overfill drain hose(one without the clamp) just goes in front of the air box and between the swingarm spindle. I see no connection for it, so I presume it is just a vent. Otherwise everything appears normal.
  8. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you set the Valve clearances on the Compression Stroke ? did they need Much adjustment or did you only Check.
    EFI or Carby
  9. peow42

peow42 n00b

Oddometer:
    Clearances on compression stroke, did confirm TDC. They were a little tight, so I loosened them up slightly. EFI.
  10. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    TDC by looking through the inspection Plug Hole. left hand front case ?
  11. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's 3mm. A Robertson (square drive) screw head will fit and is all you really need.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the 2021 has a factory ABS switch button in the dash. No need to wire anything. Screenshot 2021-05-01 19.06.36.png
    Eatmore Mudd, sqeeezy and Dool like this.
  13. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    The vent hose may be pinched under the tank.
  14. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I think he meant front. You have to forgive him at times as he is a bit old.:imaposer
  15. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally got it to work ... that button REALLY doesn’t want to be pushed ....
    Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  16. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mounted a 14T sprocket and DID chain today. Did the river thing. Been awhile, but satisfying.
  17. MadMotoMods

MadMotoMods Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was reviewing the forum, but found pretty old posts. So thought of asking.
    Is anyone using 18" rims for the rear on the Himalayan.

Basically, I was looking at Aluminium rims for the Himalayan and the only ones available are Excel (Front 21*1.6" and Rear 18*2.15")
    Wondering if anyone has been using 18 rims and how good or bad would that be.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  18. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Finally got out in the rain this morning. Heavey rain with hailstones, nice mixture with an open face helmelt. God did they sting or what. These days all my riding is for enjoyment only so if it's chucking down it's a no-no. Don't get me wrong if am out and i starts to rain it doesn't dampen my mood.(see what i did there) :rillaI crack myself up sometimes. Anyway back to the reason for going out. I was to test the Conti TKC80's that i fitted during the lockdown and believe it or not, the first time it's rained properly for months. Doesn't always rain in the UK as some think it does. Anyway back to the test. I know these tyres are great in the dry. I can get to the edge of the tread on the rear without any slippage and when they do give a bum twitch they instantly grip again. Why my bum checks gripping the saddle i gingerly pulled out of my road at 20 mph. I gently road out of my village trying to miss the mud that the tractors had kindly left for me on corner apexes. When i thought the tread had warmed up i hit the back lanes, slowly building up my speed on each turn then i came to a corner a bit too fast, and at the last nanosecond, i notice loose gravel in my line. I must have prayed to every God under the sun, the front moved sideways out of line then one of these Gods must have heard me as i came out of the bend saying loudly Thank you, Thank you. I had to stop after this for a cold drink and a fag. Cheeks back in place and checked my pants were still clean off i rode again. After over 2 hours it was still raining but i found myself hitting the bends nearly as fast as in the dry. Due to this grip, you may find yourselves riding back lanes like a hooligan. These grips better than some track tires I've used in the past. They get warm very quickly and perhaps this is their downfall. Due to having soft compound longevity is minus. I think that the recorded mileage with these is just over the 1.5/2000 miles mark but this is on much larger bikes. My son wore a rear out in 800 miles fitted to his KTM 1250 adventure.
    The Conti's were what i was looking for, good road manners and good for the tracks available to me. Ok, they don't last as most but grip means more to me than the cost.
    Overall am very impressed with the tyres and if nothing else betters them, the next pair will be the TKC 80's again.:getiton
  19. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I experimented with the 2021 at Randy’s. Yeah, that button does not want to be pushed. Successful one try in ten. Actually, I think the computer in the pod only looks at it now and then, because I could feel the contacts close.

Wow is it windy today! Just about blew me off the road a few times. Had to keep going back and forth between 4th and 5th to maintain 55 mph. After 100 miles of this I wonder how I’d deal with a full day of it crossing Kansas. Oh well, taking a well-earned break at Wishful Acres...

image.jpg

70 miles to Madison, and all downwind from here. Hooray! Of course that means all upwind coming home tomorrow. But they say it won’t be as windy.

They say...
  20. Owain-ap-Dewi

Owain-ap-Dewi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've also recently done the valves for the 15Km service, it's the best thing i've done, the combonation of the tappets now being correct (the exhaust was a bit tight), and a 3k thermistor to slightly increase the fueling has resulted in the bike being really smooth, bike no longer stalls on start up, no longer have to give it a bit of throttle when starting it, it instantly starts and runs perfectly at 1.3K revs, with no bogging or eratic ideling. Also replaced the HT Lead and Plug cap before hand, but that didn't seem to make much difference.

Also got around to changing the stearing bearings, as you can see from the photo below they were absolutely dreadful, looks like someone put some compost in my headstock, was very wet as well despite no rain for two weeks, the bottom bearing crumbled in my hand when I wiped it clean. Everything went very smoothly when changing them surprisingly, used a Dremmel to cut the the old bearing off, then flipped it upside down and used it in conjunction with a metal pipe to place the new one in, also brought a threaded rod and some large penny washers to insert the races into the headstock, costing £10 and making the job a lot easier.

Only problem I have had is that I broke the connector that goes onto the bottom of the fuel pump, I thought I had to lift the tab, rather than squeeze it... Does anyone know what the connector is so I can replace it? Cant find anything on the parts lists.

IMG_20210413_150707_1.jpg IMG_20210425_115915.jpg