Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The Bullet bobber has all the hallmarks of having started out as an Indian production 2002-2004 DeLuxe model.
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I should not be able to see the o-ring showing in my photo? How do you remove the sensor?

Attached Files:

3. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fixed my erratic idle issue by the way to anyone that was following. It was really just the idle air screw. A turn down and shes just hummin along. Bike is a bit jittery on idle though so maybe still some kind of small leak to search out.

Probably go ahead and order up the Air Injection Delete Kit and go from there since I'll apparently never sell this bike.
  4. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    IMG_1625.jpg IMG_1628.jpg So big shout out to @KennyBooBear and his light mounts. Arrived today, and by all accounts, a cool guy. Super well made, and fit like a glove. The IMG_1630.jpg fact that he includes the bolts and washers is super cool, as otherwise, we are left to source our own, and who wants to wait for that mess, when the brackets are ready to go? Exactly.

So, next question, as I seem to have many. Anyone mess with or change the parking light bulb in the OEM housing? I cannot find it on Google, or any other mention of it. I *think it looks like a T10? Anyone know?

Oh... the overflow vent line, if someone has posted this, I can't find it as this thread moves super fast. 6mm? or 1/4" ID?
    jelorian and justinope like this.
  5. jelorian

jelorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since you know about them you must be on the Himalayan USA FB group. I got a set from Kenneth as well and got mine mounted up the other day.

20210430_160026.jpg 20210430_160231.jpg

BTW, which specific Barkbusters do you have? I'd like to get a set for mine especially if it is the style that has the inside metal reinforcements.

Thanks!
  6. jelorian

jelorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Must say this is genius. Now I feel bad spending the big bucks on the Motion Pro Tool.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  7. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

That there is the Injector it has a thick o ring at the bottom and that white seal you can see there, if you can see an O ring there I think its wrong, spray something like wd 40 there when its running. it may suck it in and youll smell it burn.
    little ackman, Doctor T and 47025 like this.
  8. Dool

Oddometer:
    Time is short and Dyno time even shorter,
    first pick shows a max speed of 100Mph, don't think it's very accurate but it "up there"
    Second shows the comparison between 80mm piston and an 84mm( OEM is 78)
    I think the higher gearing may have robbed me of higher numbers but it doesent matter because the Power is where it's needed.
    I can see
    good gains in the mid range where it matters most.
    Compare this(I know different Dynos!) with the map on page 873 here and you will see Decent gains over the 462 and 412.
    This is a work in progress so there is more (HP) to come.

Attached Files:

9. AlbySA

AlbySA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi still not having any success with the solenoid. As it turns out Royal Enfield have called the solenoid a relay starter in the manual. All of the tests as suggested indicate that the fault is the solenoid. However tomorrow I'll check the wiring coming out of the ignition switch just in case I have over looked any thing there.
    dcoop likes this.
  10. DaveH55

DaveH55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Erm, Thats your injector. Wrong location. You have to lift the tank.
  11. RCruiser

RCruiser Jus' Watchin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this up Dool. FYI Sams been kicked off this forum for 'advertising' his products here, so we don't hear anything from him these days, but I was with him a couple of weeks ago here in Delhi when he dyno'd his bike with the 477 in it. Unfortunately, and frustratingly for Sam, he was also running a 15T front sprocket (which he felt was perfect for the increased power), but he got very similar results to the graphs that you've shown. Seat of the pants indicates there is more there, but the dyno's don't? I wish we could quantify the perceived gains as I too will follow this BB path one day, but in the meantime if you could help me/us with trying to articulate this upgrade, we here in the background would be very appreciative! Thanks bro,
    Bob
    little ackman likes this.
  12. Dool

Oddometer:
    Welcome Bob, Next Dyno Run will be a 477 also with a lightened piston and indian ring set and Standard Gearing!
    Bike definitely has more power and just where its needed IMO.
    If it was a straight "Bang for Bucks" then the 477 certainly is a winner .
  13. Dool

Oddometer:
    This shows two maps, best results are from a Map made by one the inmates here.
    The other map is basically the 462 map But this run the O2 sensor was providing feed back ie Closed Loop.
    More work to be done.

Attached Files:

14. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    @jelorian Told you this thread moves fast... ;) Not a Facebooker anymore. I decided when I met my wife I was off of Facebook, I found it to be a potential minefield of trouble.

Ken posted the mounts up on here, he's been a regular for a bit now, and seems to be a natural Himalayan "influencer" if you will. (I threw up in my mouth a little just using that word...don't even get me started on the word Epic, or...hang on.... YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN... ok I'm back, so I am beyond pleased with these things. To me this bike will be kept for good, I enjoy it that much, so anything I do to it, add to it, replace on it, I want it to be a 1 & done. There's other bikes I'd love to be gifted, or to ride, but I wouldn't trade this one for keeps for any other. Then again, I am a simple man, I fix my own problems (mechanical or otherwise) wear a wristwatch, and if my britches are on, always have a pocketknife, and a handkerchief.

Anyhow, I'm not sure about my Barkbusters, the spines/frames were on the bike so I don't know. I didn't like how that looked, so I got the gray Barkbuster VPS air deflectors (plastics) for them. They come freakily close to my windscreen even in the fwd position, and the PO of my bike notched the hell out of the windshield, like an inch deep to avoid it hitting. The frames mount to the outside of my bar end weights and screw into the threaded handlebar. Looks sharp.

Others have them, and regular windshields, so I just don't know whats different unless Barkbusters modified their bed radius? Anyhow there's cheaper brands out now that work equally well now that the aftermarket is catching up on this bike.
  15. MadMotoMods

MadMotoMods Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So should I wait for the Planned Himalayan Roadtrip to get over or order one right away :hmmmmm
    I am getting impatient and eager :clap Just that my past experiences with Air cooled Big Bores have not been that great. :muutt
    Dool likes this.
  16. MadMotoMods

Oddometer:

You should look for BHG084 for Barkbuster compatible with Himalayan. I use VPS guards with it. Screenshot_20210504-183752~01~01.jpg

Attached Files:

jelorian likes this.
  17. Dool

Oddometer:
    What happened? to your previous Big Bore kits.

I wouldnt wait, but thats me!
  18. MadMotoMods

Oddometer:
    The previous was not on a Himalayan. It was on a Honda Mega Pro (150cc) it was taken to 185cc.
    I had 3 bigbores that went bad.
    Oil Rings broke, Cylinder wall scoring and valves hit the crown. Probably bad design.

Assuming this 477 wouldn't have that kind of an issue.

My only holding thought is reliability of the kit, for a day of 600-700km run. With fuel ranging in 91-95 Ron and ambient temperatures upto 40-45 celcius.
    Eatmore Mudd and Dool like this.
  19. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

I hot rodded a Yamaha SR500 .... one more over bore and the cylinder woulda been a stack of washers, the cam lobs looked like the Tetons, and you could put your fist through the carb.

I also hung an oil cooler the size of my head on it, and changed the oil often.

big singles can be fine if built well and maintained regularly.
    dcoop, Dool and MadMotoMods like this.
  20. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops... Brain fade. I blame AstraZeneca. :doh
    buckthedog likes this.