Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

In your situation I think you have 2 options, Please indulge me.:ear

To enable you to use the non premium fuel you can install more gaskets on the Base to bring down the compression, thats number 1 ( brings down the Power of course )

Number 2. I would recommend a small modification to the Combustion Chamber to decrease the compression. you would not get the same HP but be able to survive on non premium Fuel. Bit harder to reverse.

Or number 3 which would be , Not get it :bore

Which is not not much of an option so I would leave that out!

So its option 1 or 2.

And about the Quality, it is made in India:jack
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    If reliability is near the top of the list, then I would go for one of Hitchcock's kits.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. BillMcQuade

BillMcQuade Slow way round

Oddometer:
    Having evaluated both kits, I feel that the quality is on par with each other.

The Indian piston is actually quite well made, and there are some details in the design that show someone has thought about the longevity of the product.
    The Hitchcock's piston is also well made, the main difference being that it is forged.
    In my experience, the fact that the Indian piston is cast, isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    There is considerable debate on the expansion rate of forged pistons, and their use in air cooled motors, as there is regarding hypereutectic castings.
    I'm not of the opinion that either one has any significant advantage over the other in this particular application, other than cost.

The Indian made cylinder liner is of excellent quality, as is the Hitchcock item.
    However, the installation and honing of the liner is the make-or-break, so it needs to be done by a decent machine shop, with air/oil-cooled experience.
    sam2019 and MadMotoMods like this.
  4. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's why I would buy the head with the liner installed. That way you have an OEM set that you can easily reinstall if required. And if there is any issue, there would be no finger pointing about who is at fault and whether or not the machining was done to the correct tolerances.
    dcoop and MadMotoMods like this.
  5. MadMotoMods

MadMotoMods Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am definitely inclined to #1 and may be finding some decent octane boosters to carry along for road-trips. For the city rides or short trips , I can get good fuel.

#2 I wouldn't want to make any changes to the cylinder head. Since if the Big bore goes south, I can atleast swap it out with stock.

#3 Can't read the option. Blurry vision.:hack

Wasn't there an option to get the German / Italian pistons and rings :hmmmmm
    sam2019 and Dool like this.
  6. Dool

Oddometer:
    At 2 costs, firstly it comes from Italy I think and is not cheap (compared to the Cast Indian piston)
    Secondly it is heavier and you could get more vibration issues IMO.
    BillMcQuade likes this.
  7. MadMotoMods

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    I can't go for the Hitchcock kit for the other reason of Import Duty.
    I ordered the air injection delete and a couple of other small stuff for an invoice of 99 GBP. The import duty levied in India was equivalent to 98 GBP :permazot
    So buying the Hitchcock kit is way off from being "Bang for the buck" :D
    sam2019, CaptainTrips and Dool like this.
  8. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hanging on (grimly :() for the TEC 'cam' as a starting point...however the silence from them is deafening and I'm starting to 'disbelieve' it's going to happen…I've spent a fair amount with them and the service/stuff I've bought is is excellent...however as I understand it's truly a bit 'Mom & Pop' and I think the Hima is on the back 'burner'...the Intercept/Triumph section probabnly makes more and it's easier money...

Hitchcocks IMHO is a tad too expensive(I have bought from them)...I paid £3000 for an excellent used HIMA in Nov 20 and prob. have already put in £1200.00+(main ex. YSS/rear/front/delkavic sys./air delete/Givi bars/taller screen/AD Moto bash plate etc-etc) I obviously don't count my OCD 'driven' labour hours:-))... so where does it stop...??
    MadMotoMods likes this.
  9. folkers

folkers Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. folkers

folkers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I seem to recall way back in this thread someone experiencing troubles with their engine just cutting out randomly. Wasn't this traced to the ignition switch assembly?? Could what you're experiencing be ignition switch related?
  11. Dool

Oddometer:

That does give you one good option then, a locally made 84mm piston and liner ?
    MadMotoMods likes this.
  12. Dool

Oddometer:
    I would love the Cam, right now preferably.
    But whilst there is "one coming out" no one else is going to do it !
    Displacement is available and it aint Rocket Science and never was.
    BillMcQuade likes this.
  13. byteofthecherry

Oddometer:
    Agreed...no substitute for 'cubes'...:(...looks like I'll have to bite the bullet(not the RE one)
    little ackman and sam2019 like this.
  14. MadMotoMods

Oddometer:
    I can feel this one. I got my Brand New Himalayan for INR 2,36,000/-
    As off right now, including all accessories and mods, I have spent more than the cost of the motorcycle. Includes around 53 updates ( Just not sure which part of the forum I should list it down, if I wanna share all the details)
    What I am trying to say is, "It never stops" :flug
    byteofthecherry likes this.
  15. MadMotoMods

Oddometer:
    True, True.
    Will let the current situation mellow down a bit (also waiting for my Covid Shots). Will reach out to Sam and get one. :thumb
    I will probably need help at that time with getting the right tune via PowerTronic. :happay
    sam2019 and Dool like this.
  16. byteofthecherry

Oddometer:
    Don't even ask about the plans for my Interceptor(I've already started)...:-)...however the ultimate is 'wildlife moto'...see the videos for his spend.
  17. Dool

Oddometer:
    I have recently made switchable, the O2 sensor cheat that comes with a PT kit.
    The Object being to choose whether I want Open or Closed Loop, why ?
    In closed loop I get AFR readings of 13.6 almost constantly even with 2 really different maps.
    Piggyback ECU controllers are only as good as the Maps loaded.
    BillMcQuade and MadMotoMods like this.
  18. Gary K

Gary K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Inner tubes (newbie question) -- are there more rugged (puncture resistant) inner tubes for adventure bikes like the Himalayan? Brand, source (preferably in EU)? When I check ebay.es (Spain), the choices are all outside of Spain with shipping charges more than the tube.
    ToasTje likes this.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Been down that road a few times myself too. It was as much fun as it was educational. Adapting an existing piston often times will "work" but not always and not optimally. Piston design is as much an art as it is a science. Pistons and cylinders change shapes and sizes in different parts of the piston and cylinder at different temperatures and not uniformly. Last time I was around big bore shenanigans the piston went through 13 iterations of manufacture-test-make minute design change-re test before it was right.

When time comes I'm going to dig deep and go with the 462. For sure It is pricey but I can justify the cost because A. Quality. B. the credentialed engineering, R&D, lab testing and road testing that went into it before product release. C. It's fully matured with a good reputation. D. I just don't have the time to be a beta tester. When time comes I'll set up to mine to handle US 87 / UK 91 octane either by setting the dynamic compression or alternate engine maps or maybe some combo of the two.
  20. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

Michelin heavy duty rubber tubes are my go to.
    dcoop, Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.