Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going that way to start with myself. Once Sam said the piston was made by the same company that makes pistons for Kia I though right lets give it ago.
    For the price of Sams kit has with the barrel piston etc. I have purchased Sams kit, powertronic and a full delvic exhaust and some of the cost of having it all fitted by the bike shop. This way it also means I do not have to worry about making a mistake when fitting all this and any damage to the equipment in the process.:-) More than happy to be the New Zealand test bed.
  2. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your kind, generous and unexpected offer. But really, there's no need for you to waste your time and hard earned just to post me a 1c or 5c screw. I'll get a mini adjustable spanner and if it turns out to be too big I'll use the needle nose pliers again. Or revisit was it Kiwiscoot's method of using the thread count to mathematically adjust the tappets? It sounded rather precise when I read it some time ago.
    buckthedog likes this.
  3. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

First thing I did when my Cast piston arrived was to weigh it, a full 10 grams lighter than the forged Piston.
    Since then I taken another 8 grams off a piston and it is going to be fitted next week. Forged pistons are better and may last longer but I was not thinking of handing my Pistons down to the Grandkids.

I beleive in this application a Cast Piston is good enough so did RE after all !

With a little more development the 477 is going to take off IMO
    dcoop, BillMcQuade, RCruiser and 3 others like this.
  4. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could be, someone else told of taking a hammer to one to reduce the size. Reduced it to two pieces!
  5. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Something we all need to know. Thanks for the admit.
    dcoop likes this.
  6. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a replacement spark plug, not iridium, preferably NGK or another big/reputable manufacturer? Mine still the probably original Bosch. I'd just like to get a new spare plug but don't think iridium will be available otc here. Available on line sure but seem too cheap to be real. Tried cross reference web sites but no luck.
    Could always try RE for a new Bosch I suppose.
  7. AlbySA

AlbySA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Beemerboff yes you were quite right in your conclusion based on what I had stated, and your other statements have given me a much better understanding of 12 volt electrics which I am grateful for. In the past the learning curve on 12 volt electrics has sometimes been difficult for me to interpret correctly. Thank you again for your advice in helping me resolve my electrical problem.
  8. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, some thing we can all learn from. Glad you got it sorted.:clap
  9. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted.
  10. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone enquired about overflow hose? 1/4 inch. In mm I can't focus eyes or take photo of black scale ruler.
    IMG_20210505_162712.jpg
    buckthedog likes this.
  11. AlbySA

AlbySA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1/4" id or 6.4mm
  12. hound dogger

hound dogger ain't growin' up

Oddometer:
    Yeah I figured nothing changed on the filters , just wanted to be sure. Any ideas on the affect of too much or too little oil in the forks on rebound ? They feel almost like the springs are too short , not much springiness.
  13. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to return to these posts and say thank you to you both.
    I never thought I'd get dieting advice on a motorbike forum, but there you go!

I've always been generously proportioned, even when I was in the Army. Played prop forward until I was 30 so you can imagine the type.

I read these posts at the time and gave it some thought. About the end of Feb I'd thought enough and decided to give it a go. Now lock-down had been unkind for my weight. I'm not sure how heavy I was, but I'd guess somewhere north of 19.5 stone (273 lbs)! I'm now down to 17.5 stone (245 lbs) so still a way to go to get back to my 'fighting' weight of about 15 stone, but my relationship with food is the biggest change. I now eat what I want, when I want, as long as it's within my 8 hour window. I no longer binge eat all the shite in the house and feel a lot better for it. I'm not feeling hungry or feeling that I'm missing out. No longer waking up in the middle of the night sweating my tits off either, so it's been nothing but a positive for me. Again, thanks guys.
    And if anyone else is having similar issues I'd strongly recommend giving it a try. Your Himi will thank you!
    Randy, JustMikey and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  14. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of theories but the easiest way is to remove the fork caps and springs and measure how far down the oil is at full extension.
    Should be somewhere between 150 and 220 mm down.
    Depending on where you are change it 50 mm to the other extreme.
    I have one of these cheap pumps for removing Auto sump oil and it works OK for setting the fork level too.
    You should have around 10/12 mm precompression on the spring when you refit it. Some bikes have over 20mm but one thing at a time, if you change the fork springs to much you alter the balance front to rear, so then you adjust rear preload and might end up loosing the plot.
    Then go for a trial run, and see what change the in handling the oil level change has made, and adjust it from there.
  15. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably going to loose a bit weight myself over the next two or three months, as my doctor wants me to remove what he loosely described as teeth, and the Orthodontist want to wait three months before he fits the falsies!
    So it is going to be three months on blended soup and veggies and hospital grade liquid meal replacement.
    Doubt if I will get my 15 stone down to my"fighting" probably more running weight of 11st 3 lb but 12 would give the little bike and easier time!
    Dool and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  16. hound dogger

hound dogger ain't growin' up

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that info. I will start exploring the depths of my forks. I understand about having too much preload on the springs , but the way they feel now it's almost like there's none at all , like they're too short.
  17. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you're having some success with it. For me, finishing "dinner" around 9:00 pm was key.
    HaveACuppaTea likes this.
  18. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a new battery for my ST1300 from a battery store and it failed to start the bike a couple of weeks later. Battery charger said it was fully charged. I took it back to the guy who sold it to me and he went on a rant about how he had sold a couple hundred of those batteries and had never had one fail. It was always a problem with the bike. And then he grudgingly tested the battery. And then he gave me a new one. One cell had become disconnected from the others. Sometimes it really is that simple.
    DaFoole, dcoop and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  19. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you mentioned in a previous post you had the stock downpipe 'de-catted'...was that both sections or just the lower..??..also who did this..??
  20. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    When my original battery started to play up i had it load tested and the first test showed it was within the parameters. The second test showed it only had 1.5 volts. The first test was after i charged it and the second was a day later. It came down to the battery although it would charge to 13.9volts it wouldn't hold the charge overnight. Low volts can throw up faults, the reason i first said it was your battery on your first post was low was that you said that the dash lights came on but pushing the starter button everything went off.
    CaptainTrips likes this.