Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    My cat( only one on the 2019 models) in the downpipe and the end can have been removed. It was done by an old mate of mine. He cut the downpipe section out, removed the cat, and welded the downpipe up using the now empty pipe section. As for the end can he opened up the silencer, firstly removing the end cap. Then just cut the cat out. All welded up and pop rivets replaced. From the outside, it looks a completely standard system. The only difference the exhaust tone sounds slightly beefier
    byteofthecherry likes this.
  2. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Fork caps are a doddle to remove. Take the weight off the forks by putting a jack and a block of wood under the bash plate. I couldn't remove the pinch bolts, so i just unscrewed the caps. I cut down the inner spacers(5mm) and replaced the standard caps with an adjustable type. These are 41mm forks. I left the standard weight oil in the forks but changed the oil for new stuff. The adjustable caps made a lot of difference to the preload. Took a while to set them up but once i got them adjusted correctly no need to touch them again. My caps are cheap eBay jobbies but made well and came with new "O" rings. No special tools needed. £10.00GBP inc delivery.
    s-l500 (2323222221).jpg
  3. hound dogger

hound dogger ain't growin' up

Oddometer:
    Thank you Doctor , I like the adjustable caps , I'll look into em .
    Doctor T likes this.
  4. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would he do mine if I sent them…??…where's he based...??
  5. MadMotoMods

MadMotoMods Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a similar set but I am yet to set them up on my Himalayan. Thanks for sharing the feedback. I was skeptical as to whether these would be any good but now the above gives me some confidence to go ahead and make the changes.
  6. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming up to 3k miles ... any gotchas regarding valve checking/adjustments?
  7. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    He may be interested but i know he has just taken on a big project for a customer so maybe a while.
  8. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Just don't cut too much off the inner spacer. Try 2.5 mm first and go from there. Cut too much and it's off to your local RE shop for replacements
    MadMotoMods likes this.
  9. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    If using small tools add the string to them. You don't want to drop anything down the hole
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good general life advice.
  11. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd and bomber60015 like this.
  12. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was going to say the same, "if I can do it..." It isn't too bad. The first time (at 3,000) I was very slow, methodical, check multiple times. Inlet side was crowded (2020, EFI model) to work in. The next time (at 6,000) was even smoother. I figured out how to get more of the wires and tubes and "stuff" out of the way and access to the inlet side was much improved. I did get the Hitchcocks tool prior to the first time I did it [TAPPET ADJUSTING TOOL, Himalayan (Suitable as a replacement for ST27527)] and that made the actual adjustment a breeze.
  13. terraformer

terraformer n00b

Oddometer:
    New guy here.

2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan. Prepping for a 3 month summer trip from Baja to Vancouver.

Does anyone have experience with rackless systems on the himas OTHER THAN the Mosko Moto line?

I would like to use the Tusk Highland from Rocky MTN.

Does anyone have any experience using this or other rackless systems?
  14. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    No experience with rackless systems but speaking as a Vancouver resident, you may be a bit premature if you are planning your trip this summer. Can/US border has been closed for more than a year. We don't expect to see herd immunity until late this year. Our club has already cancelled our annual rally planned for the third weekend in August.
  15. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:

I didnt like how the Highland fit on the Hima. If it's put on pillion seat it pushed you forward, if put on the rack seems too far back. Returned it.
  16. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto - got mine fitted yesterday and today. I used the Chelhead (yellow) lights and wiring harness he had success with - the harness has some flasher/warning modes as well - all works a treat.
    20210505_185154.jpg
    dcoop, buckthedog and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  17. terraformer

terraformer n00b

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the advice! We plan on starting in Baja and ending in Can. If we can't cross the border (even with vaccine cards), then we'll just go as far as Bellingham, WA. It will be what it will be. Family is in VC and would love to see them
  18. terraformer

terraformer n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to have any photos with it on? Do you think it is an issue with all rackless, including the Mosko Moto R80, or just the Tusk one's?

What did you use instead?

Much appreciated.
  19. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    1. Don’t do it in a dark garage on a 40° day. A headband or ball cap light is handy.
    2. There’s a lot of wiring and plumbing above the intake tappet. Unplugging the big electrical connector and disconnecting the air injection hose helps.
    dcoop, jcw64, Doctor T and 1 other person like this.
  20. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Like that headlight guard!
    modiorne likes this.