Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. confusiontactic

confusiontactic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Out for a ride on the weekend, the snow is disappearing up high.

Attached Files:

2. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    All RE FI models have a Bi-Starter. Only carbed bikes and cars have some sort of Choke. Through my experience in the last 2.5 years, this lever has little to no effect starting from cold. Just open the throttle slightly for a few seconds. It does the same thing.
    little ackman, mtwillyman and jcw64 like this.
  3. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So on a cold morning, you have to blip the throttle nonstop until its warmed up to keep it running?

I'm unfamiliar with this type of setup and am trying to understand why you have to hold this bi starter lever and can't just set it like a choke so it idles nicely immediately after starting.
  4. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I deffo bought an HD Mich for the back too, but as Murphy would have it, I erased the email of that purchase, that tube's on the bike just now, and I've probably ditched the box. It may possibly have been one of these one size fits several so maybe you have to use cunning in googling.
    Doctor T likes this.
  5. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Solenoids usually push or pull something
    Nope, below freezing I hold a high idle to the count of four and that does the trick no blips needed. Either the bi starter or throttle grip whichever is more convenient us the one that gets used.
    dcoop and Doctor T like this.
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have to hold the Himma’s bi-start lever for the same reason you used to have to hold a Harley’s turn-signal button: because that’s how some [grawlix] designed it, nobody knows quite why, but we’re now stuck with it. Probably somebody (in both cases) was more concerned about it being left on than they were about the inconvenience of having to hold it.

Fancier FI bikes have IAC solenoids or stepper motors to provide a fast idle when cold, but these are $100+ luxuries. So you get the lever. I’ve thought about adding some friction (like on a KLR’s enrichment lever), but so far been too lazy. And most of the time my Himalayan starts without a fuss and immediately settles down to a smooth idle.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. oldgsbob

oldgsbob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi windmils, I had trouble and struggled getting the rear wheel back in and found that if I put a strap around the caliper tp hold it in place it was much easier. Of course a another over the seat to suppert the wheel is a good idea.
    cheers
    Bob
    dcoop and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of us have had trouble putting the wheel back into place. My personal nemesis is the spacer on the right side, which seems to jump out of the wheel at inopportune times and can’t quite be manipulated into place without taking the axle out and starting over. I think the job simply requires three or four hands. Other people seem to possess an innate knack (or a concealed extra hand), and wonder what the rest of us are whining about. I haven’t yet tried the strap thing, but intend to at my next tire change.

And I thought getting the tire on and off the rim was going to be the hard part...
  9. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do modern Harley's still require that you hold the turn signal button? I had an '87 Heritage Softail and there was a lot to like about it. The turn signal button was not one of them. Strange design, (although I guess you're less likely to forget to cancel).
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    No, for a long time the turn signals turn off automaticly after a turn.
    What is odd is you have a button on each side instead of one switch you move back and forth.
    Jab the right side button and the right signal comes on and it turns off after the turn by itself.

11. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think BMW tried that left hand/right hand thing a few years back but people complained loud enough that they reverted back to normal. Someone's always trying to re-invent the wheel.
    dcoop, Doctor T and Steve516 like this.
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I think standards are useful, on most bikes its my habit to jab the turn signal button often just to make sure its not on by mistake.
    I can't do that on the Harley....And I would rather just turn them off myself...

13. pineygroveshop

pineygroveshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried it yet, but I believe part of the "tightness" is caused by the cush. I've considered zip tying the sprocket to the spokes to snug it up. It just might create a bit more clearance.
  14. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW had three separate buttons for turn signals, left, right and cancel and you had to slide them. It was only in the last few years that to they finally gave in and went with the current standard switch gear.
    rockt likes this.
  15. windmills

windmills Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my slightly antsy plea for help! Much appreciated.
    I had got to that stage where stepping away from the bike was the thing to do...

You know, I have been lurking on this thread for about a year now, as I researched Himmies (talk myself
    into the purchase actually... it's a pattern that's happened before!), but somehow missed the relevant
    posts. Ah well, I knew you gents would be able to help.

It makes me feel slightly better that I am not the only one to have struggled with this, youtube videos
    showing someone carrying out the task with relative ease were no help at all. :D

The ratchet strap idea is genius, just the sort of lateral thinking that was eluding me yesterday!
    Refreshed by a good nights kip, and fortified by tea, I'm heading back into the garage to get it done.

Perhaps just one more mug for luck..? :lol3
    Doctor T likes this.
  16. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the posting something I did not know.:clap
  17. tmj23

tmj23 n00b

Oddometer:
    Which valve adjustment tool for a Himalayan do you use? Original RE, aftermarket or home made?
  18. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Shout yourself a nice one cold when finished. Lots of good people on the site who are willing to help. It took me two years of researching before I bought mine, what convinced me when I finally rode one. Friends have his and hers rode hers. Always puts a smile on the dial each time I take it out for a ride.:clap
    little ackman and Doctor T like this.
  19. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Sounds German, often over thought out over and engineered. The old saying KIS works really well.
    little ackman likes this.
  20. windmills

windmills Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HaHa! You are not wrong there mate!
    I also struggled with that, way back on day 1 of this adventure! :dirtdog
    I really couldn't get the last bit of the bead back over the rim... the nice folks in the local bike shop bailed me out on that one.
    The sense of inadequacy was strong :lol3
    Doctor T likes this.