Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using Locus for years. Easy peasy. Just push the "record track" feature in the app and as your exploring the wilds of wherever you are a thin red line appears on the map. When you are ready to save the track, you push the stop button, then save, name the track and you can put a description down. In the future the track is available and you can choose to "hide it" or to show it on the map. I record all my dirt, gravel and single-track adventures so I can go back and enjoy them again. My single track is on my XT250, not the Himalayan. You can email the tracks or receive tracks in your email from others, when you click on the attachment in your mail, the locus program opens up and displays the track.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I have some bikes that are tricky as well, and do NOT have a center stand.
    I use a floor jack and have found getting the wheel just high enough to get it off the ground helps.
    On side stand, jack under bike, lift so the wheel is just slightly off the ground.
    Would that help (when at home?)

Eatmore Mudd and little ackman like this.
  3. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Just open the throttle a small fraction. Do not over-rev the engine as you want the oil pressure to build up. The lever just springs back when you let it go. If you did need it, it would have been better made so you could graduate the settings. All it does is give the fuel system a slightly richer air/fuel mix, just like an old fashioned choke.
    Other makes of bikes/cars that are fitted with fuel injection have an electric solenoid or a stepper motor fitted. This does away with a lever and does the cold start automatically.
  4. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    My old K75 has buttons on each side. I found it easier and got used to it very quickly. The only problem came when i sold it to buy a Jap bike. I kept pressing the starter when turning right.
  5. windmills

windmills Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is exactly the way I did it with my DRZ about 2 months ago, absolutely no problems at all.
    I am at a loss as to why this one is such a bugger.
    Even with the ratchet strap, zip ties and all it just does not want to line up?
    Got the axle through as far as the end of the spacer, but the calliper torque plate ain't having it... like below?

I'm back in for *another* tea, and a freshen up of attitude :D, will have another crack in a bit, before I call in the cavalry.
    IMG_0944.JPG

Attached Files:

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Where in sunny Sussex are you?
  7. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Stunning views
  8. windmills

Oddometer:
    And rounding this sorry tale out... cavalry it is then.
    Its got to go in for its first service about now, so I have made it a roller by zip-tying the chain and calliper out of the way
    and I'll get the good folks in the shop to sort it out with the service.

Hi Doc!
    It is rather beautiful today isn't it? Nice that that cold wind has finally gone away.
    I'm West of Worthing. Enjoy the occasional pics from you out and about on the downs... I thought to myself... that
    looks like fun, and a fun bike to do it on! So I bought one. :D
    Doctor T likes this.
  9. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Evolution of the Royal Enfield HIMALAYAN | 2016 - 2021 | BS3 - BS4 - BS6 - BS6+
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Not that far away then. Myself am South of Chichester just before you fall into the sea. Am always around the downs going videos. This year am going further afield to the Dorking area where i heard the tracks are longer.
  11. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    YSS suspension for the Royal Enfield Himalayan
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all the frustrations of getting the real wheel on in you garage, you haven't really lived unless you've tried mounting it after installing a new tube on the side of the road, in full sun, on a very hot day, while sitting behind the bike using your legs to lift the wheel up, using your two hands to position everything and using your third hand to swat away mosquitos as sweat is pouring into your eyes. :D
    dcoop, Doctor T, Loadtoad101 and 3 others like this.
  13. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am finding the third hand to be really useful for a lot of things. Thank you AstraZeneca!
    f15sim, dcoop, Doctor T and 4 others like this.
  14. windmills

Oddometer:
    Absolutely!
    I'd be a dusty skeleton by the side of the road wouldn't I? :lol3
    Eatmore Mudd and hound dogger like this.
  15. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TEC bike parts have just posted a new video(intercept oil cooler guard) so it's current(they've posted nothing for some time) make you case for news on the Himalayan Cam...I have...in the comments section.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. Gary K

Gary K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I misspoke. I will keep looking. The one on Amazon.es is 85 euros plus shipping.
    Doctor T likes this.
  17. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    85E For a tube is a rip off. About £17 to £25 depending on where you by in the UK. Even with the tax and delivery your saving money. If you can get someone to send it as a gift or sample, no vat is payable.
  18. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    DR T. Thanks for posting this. Great add for Himma. I like how they wash there bikes. :-)
  19. pineygroveshop

pineygroveshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What, you were there with me?
  20. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the early '90s H-D has had a pretty good (and improving) auto-canceler system. You push the button to turn the blinker on, and after some combination of time and distance (and, I think, acceleration, given the way it cancels quite nicely when you speed up after making a turn) it shuts off. Press the button a second time (while it's blinking) to cancel. Press and hold both buttons for a couple seconds, and you get four-way flashers. Nice.

This replaces a very short-lived (one year, 1986 I believe) system with push-on/push-off buttons. The problem with this was that they also had a single "turn" light on the dash, which meant it was possible to forget to turn a blinker off, turn the other one on, and then have the blinkers operating opposite of what you thought (that is, press right and the left blinker comes on). This replaced the press-and-hold system, and when it was discontinued (by lawyers, most likely) they went back to the press-and-hold system till about 1990.

My '06 GS had BMW's version of such a system. Buttons on each pod to turn the blinkers on (like the Harley), but a separate button that required an odd upwards press to cancel. Self-canceling feature worked... kinda. Not as good as the Harley system IMO. Often canceled too soon or not at all. Later Beemers went back to a single switch on the left bar.