Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than "by the side of the road," that is pretty much how I've done my tire changes. Figure I need to practice for the inevitable--no point in developing a perfect technique that requires some plank or lever or other tool that won't fit in the tool kit.
    I used to struggle with that, till I discovered NoMar™ tire lube. Stuff is magic--right at the point where I used to be cussing and thinking I'd never get that tire over the rim, it just seems to creep over by itself!

I have had that thought as well. Drives me nuts trying to balance the wheel on my Harbour Freight balancer
    Dang! That's my problem, I go the Moderna vaccine! Should have gone with the AZ!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My ‘96 Virago turned off the blinkers after the front wheel rotated 20 times. Genius solution. I always wonder why cars don’t have that sort of system, especially when it comes to (cough, cough) ‘older’ drivers...
  3. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    But how do you reach the handles bars to ride your bike!!! Good be painful.:imaposer
  4. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    To recycle the punch line from an old joke about taxi drivers, “you’ve got to be a real man to change a Himalayan’s tire!”
    Doctor T likes this.
  5. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here’s a tip I’ve used with most all wheel r&r efforts (primarily rear) ...

Insert a drift, large screwdriver, chunk of scrap metal, your little brother’s thumb into the swingarm/caliper holder/spacer/wheel combo at the same time you insert the axle from the other side ... this helps keep stuff more or less lined up ...
  6. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, but then it's 'all hands on deck'.
  7. BGRooster1

BGRooster1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Self canceling blinkers are nice,but not needed. When you scan the road from side to side. You should be glancing at the dash also. If you have ever driven a tractor trailer rig, you won't have self canceling blinkers either.
    Make it a habit to glance at the dash after completing every turn,problem solved. Maybe you will see some other indicator, say fuel gage pointing in the wrong direction.
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile, things I learned about my Himalayan, and my aging corpus, on my Slimey Crud Run weekend trip...

1. The return ride was only 245 miles, but it was all into a 30mph headwind gusting to 45-50 at times. The bike handled it better than I expected (in terms of not being forced to crawl along at 45mph in 4th gear). The body did worse; I was absolutely sacked by the time I got home and seriously wondering how I'll make multiple ~350-mile days on the way to Utah in July. Think I need to get off my butt and order the CalSci shield (which, I just found, inmate Eatmore Mudd has reviewed in some detail on The Other Site). Just gotta figure out what size I need, given I'm 6'1" and sitting on a Seat Concepts Tall saddle.
    2. Another thing I found on The Other Site was inmate Loadtoad101's comments about the Shinko 705's little wiggle when decelerating through 30-25mph. Shinko has recommended running around 40 psi in the 705, regardless of what the bike manufacturer recommends for the OEM tire (27 front, 34 rear for the Pirelli MT-60, according to RE). I tried this for a short run around town on Wednesday, and it seemed to just about completely eliminate the wiggle. There is still a tiny bit of pulsation when I'm on the brakes. Makes me wonder if I have a hard spot developing in the front rotor.
    3. The Shinko's tire pressure issues may not matter much, as I'm measuring tread depth and watching it drop more quickly than I expected. I had thought I'd get 6000 miles out of a 705 rear, enough to make the Utah trip (~4500 miles round trip from Chicago area) without a tire change. Based on my most recent measurements, the tire will be lucky to last 4500 miles, which would mean (at best) I could just squeak the trip in on it, with exactly no safety margin (in case a long trip with gear on the back speeds up wear). So, back to the drawing board on tires. Again, my fallback remains the stock Pirellis. They are mediocre and overpriced, but they are good enough for what I'm planning to ride, I know from experience that I can R&R them if I get a flat, and the original set went 5500 miles and still has ~500-1000 left (they are sitting in a corner of the garage and I measured them). I would really like to find something better, though--better price/longevity and/or better performance.
    4. Not at all certain that my luggage system (Ortleib Dry Bag soft bags and a small Givi locking trunk) is appropriate for this trip. It works OK for camping trips, but I decided I don't want to set up/tear down my tent almost every day (I'm only going to be in the same place for two days once). For a motel trip, I'd rather have locking hard bags (for stuff that can stay on the bike overnight) and a big stuffer on the back seat. Sigh. More fooling around to do...
  9. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah. I see what I'm missing.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  10. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly, the first BMW to adopt the one switch turn signal was the S1000RR. I used to hate the cancel button. Found it very tiring to use with my thumb in traffic. I think that the real reason that BMW moved away from their beloved three switch solution was because they needed the room for the 14 new buttons that are required on switch gear today to control all those gadgets.

The self cancelling on my Explorer can be annoying. It tracks distance and can prematurely turn the signal off on a long turn lane. I got into the habit of refreshing the signal request to prevent premature cancellation. ;-)
  11. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Little brother's thumb only works twice...
  12. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you like the Shinko 705 adv tread, try the Mitas MC24. I love mine. Great road tire on the Hima with no handling anomalies at OEM pressures.
  13. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today's project is to remove the headpipe, see if any pieces of the cat fall out, and verify that this is where the rattle is coming from.

First finding: the outer stud came out with the nut. A pit of a PITA because the fat part in the middle of the stud won't fit through the hole in the plate on the head pipe, so I had to figure out how to hold the pipe assembly (in the vise) while holding the unthreaded part of the stud and working the nut off. Fortunately, it was not terribly tight, and I had shot it with PB Blaster a few days ago. Once I had the nut off I was able to inspect the stud:

IMG_2079.jpg

I don't think they're supposed to be visibly curved, so I guess I'll find out if my favorite dealer stocks such things. And, I need to inspect one of the new bikes to see if there's a visible curve in the retainer plate, like there is in mine:

IMG_2081.JPG

So what might be causing this? Well, take a close look at the end of the pipe, and then at the port in the head:

IMG_2082.JPG

Notice anything missing? Yeah, the ~3mm thick copper washer that's supposed to go between the end of the pipe and the head seems to be AWOL. For a moment I thought it was just squished down, creating that kinda copper colored band in the photo. But further investigation shows that's just a camera trick; I picked away at it and found no washer in there, just a bit of discoloration on the aluminum of the head. The orange color you see in this picture and the one above is reflection off my "don't shoot me; I'm a hiker not a deer" sweatshirt.

(sigh). What I get for buying an early (2018) model; obviously there were still some gremlins at the factory.

As for the original point of the project... I removed the shields and held the flange plate carefully, and shook the pipe. Definite rattle from the bulge around the front cat. Off to the dealer, to see if they'll cover this under the emission warranty... and see if they've got a replacement stud...
    dcoop, DaFoole and bomber60015 like this.
  14. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was trying to remember why I haven't really understood this topic as a problem; you've reminded me, this is what I do too. Cheers.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  15. OBX-RIDER

OBX-RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone who has ridden any serious amount of time with other riders knows this is simply not true. In fact most group riders have developed a signal just for "you left your blinker on". Mebbe you .. and mebbe me .. with 11,000 hours flying aircraft using cross check techniques .. don't need self canceling turn signals. Why am I reminded of the Army's fix for all kinds of problems with aircraft. Just whip up some new procedures instead of fixing the problem. Then mebbe after another half dozen 'smoking holes' sometimes with a load of troops they might fix the damn problem. And I see riders with many years of experience and tens of thousands of miles leave their signals flashing.

.. I drove behind a tractor trailer this week that left his signal blinking for 20 miles .. and even my clunky HD Road King has self canceling signals so it's not rocket science .. :eek7.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  16. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only if there’s just the one ...
    DaFoole likes this.
  17. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In certain parts of Wales/Cornwall you could have four attempts... I presume the same goes in places like Kentucky/S.Carolina/W.Virginia :-)
  18. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine were bent even worse from the factory. I ended up removing both studs and straightening them during the first lockdown and reusing them. And it is very easy to bend them and the new flange on reinstallation if you are not careful.

I bet that actually is the copper gasket. Mine was also crushed flat. It is actually a hollow copper donut prior to installation. Mine peeled out of the port with a dental tool.
  19. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because, sometimes you don't want signals to self cancel with either an arbitrary distance or an arbitrary time. As a former long haul o/o you can sometimes run for a very long distance with a blinker on trying to get a break in traffic to change lanes because no one wants to let you in front of them.
    dcoop, BGRooster1 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  20. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    What is this emission warranty i keep reading from American members?