Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for thinking there is a copper washer in there. You'll need a new one and you don't want to end up with 2 in there. On my '83 Gold Wing, there was no way there was a washer in there.....until there actually was. Give it another shot at removing it. Let us know!
  2. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did mine a couple of days ago(fitting the delkavic system)...it was so crushed/discoloured I thought there wasn't one, so I put the new supplied one in...but something was just not right…sure enough fished around with a dental pick and out it came.
    dcoop and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update:

Yes there was a copper washer in there. Smashed thin enough that you could use it for Rutherford's proton-scattering experiment. For those who've replaced one of these... what does the package look like to you? And how long since you've carried one in your wallet? I feel like the dealer should be dispensing these things from a gas-station vending machine... :lol3

I hauled the pipe out to my dealer (during the sunny part of the day, in the car, of course). They did not have a replacement stud in stock (he's ordering several and notes they have been superseded by a newer version). He also agrees with me that the rattling stuff inside the cat bulge is not good, and they will be calling RENA on Tuesday (the shop's not open Mondays) to set up a claim. Bike is about two months out of its two-year warranty, but the pipe is part of the emission system and therefore covered by the 5 year/30,000km emission warranty. Only have 11,860 on the bike right now, so it's still covered.

With the bent stud and retaining collar, of course things would not go together (probably why the stud came out of the head in the first place). I straightened the stud as much as I dared (did not want to see it crack), then (after removing the O2 sensor from the pipe) chucked up the collar in the vise and used the pipe itself as a lever to straighten it (the collar, not the pipe). Again, I was a bit careful and delicate with this--didn't want to collapse the pipe! In the end, I threaded the stud onto the collar (a tricky thing because the un-threaded part of the stud won't go through the collar), placed the pipe in the head and the collar onto the un-bent stud, and then threaded the slightly-bent stud into the head. Once I got things mostly into place, I used a double nut to run the stud all the way down without applying any force to the pipe or collar.

Looking at the finished installation...

IMG_2083.JPG

...I think I know what happened at the factory. See the gap between the collar and the (unthreaded) middle part of the stud? I bet somebody at the factory just kept turning the wrench till the collar bottomed on that stud, bending the hell out of it in the process.

With this done, it was time for the valve adjustment. My improvised tool (socket with flats ground on the sides to turn the locknut, deck screw to turn the adjuster) worked pretty well:

IMG_2085.JPG

I tried the method of bottoming the adjuster and backing off an eighth (intake) or quarter (exhaust) of a turn, but couldn't get it quite right. So I ended up using my feeler gauges in go/no-go mode (if this gauge fits, and this one that's .001" bigger doesn't, I'm in the right range). Much easier than last time.

Finally, the thing I was talking about for securing the front of a seat with a raised front:

IMG_2087.JPG

Stack a few washers under there and the seat tongue will fit right in. I think.

I will update when I hear from the shop about whether RENA will honor this warranty claim. I am fairly confident because I think the company really wants good word-of-mouth.
    dcoop, DaFoole, bomber60015 and 4 others like this.
  4. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    The US government mandates a special warranty for "emission-related" parts of the vehicle. This started back in the 1970s, when they first mandated catalytic converters. At the time converters were expensive and most new-car warranties were pretty short (12 months/12,000 miles). The government mandated that all the emission parts (especially that converter) be warranted for five years and 50,000 miles. Exactly how far you could stretch the definition of "emission related part" depended on how much the dealer wanted your business...

In the case of the Himalayan, the new-vehicle warranty is two years/unlimited miles in the USA, plus there is a five year/30,000 km (why metric?) warranty on emission related parts. My bike is 26 months old, with just under 12,000 miles... so out of the new-vehicle warranty, but the pipe (with the converter inside) should still be covered as part of the emission system.
    Doctor T and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  5. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rattle might be the washer ----!
    Flicka and Doctor T like this.
  6. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    So, took a nice and veryyyy long 400 miles today through Louisiana bayou country. Bike rode wonderfully. No problem keeping up at 70, after[​IMG] 72ish, you need to consider alternatives. Seat about killed me. I got the AliExpress mesh seat cover in the mail when I got home, so hopefully that'll help. I did spot this little mishap. Can't figure it out unless the PO stressed it as he had notched it out from the Barkbusters. Question, others have Barkbusters on, mine seemed to touch the screen at full lock even with it canted in the fwd position. Does everyones do this? Is there some magical set up I am missing?
    [​IMG]
    Oh... I caught hell from my wife, but yes, I grabbed it and got it off the road. Surprisingly fast and mean creatures. Not sweet at all. Very much not suitable for housepets. Almost got my glove, and its contents.

Who doesn't love these? right? Exactly. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

dcoop, DaFoole, CaptainTrips and 5 others like this.
  7. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No barkbusters on mine but to keep my guards from hitting I put a dab of jb weld on the stem locks of mine. Problem solved for now.
    dcoop and buckthedog like this.
  8. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Huh?:confused

OHHHH to keep it less than the standard "full lock" range? Clever.
  9. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trouble with that is, if the bars can’t go to full lock the fork lock won’t work. At least on mine.
    Doctor T and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... there is that. How are mine hitting and I know I'm seeing people with Barkbusters on oem bars... I bought it with the windshield notched out. The PO did a lousy job, and looks like he overtightened it, and a few hundred miles of bad roads, well, she's broke now. I tried rotating the bars back a bit, moving the guards up, down, etc. I am stumped for the time being. Of course I just purchased a new windshield from India, so I have a few weeks to wonder. But hey, it was less money than most of the others, and I got a free oil filter!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. SafetySecondADV

SafetySecondADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I've been riding my Himalayan around the US for a bit over 2 months. Figured people here would like to hear a quick overview. These are the bigger stops along the way but not a full list. I'll definitely need to be together a more in depth version eventually.

Started in Massachusetts - Cold and a bit of snow when leaving.

Pennsylvania - Visited family for a few days.

Shenandoah National Park - Rode the Shenandoah Skyline Drive

Blue Ridge Parkway - Rode as much of the parkway as possible down to Asheville, TN

Tail of the Dragon - Rode both directions of the Tail. Great weather and not many riders meant a great ride

Cherohala Skyway - Nice longer ride with some amazing turns

Atlanta - Stopped in Atlanta for my 3,000 mile service

Orlando, St Pete, Deltona, Cocoa Beach Area - Spent 3 weeks in Central Florida learning to skydive and wait on my second Covid vaccine shot

Destin - Visit some friends and the town that I lived in 10 years ago.

New Orleans - See the town, eat beignets, and not riding the terrible roads.

Austin - Stayed with a friend for 10 days and did my 6,000 mile service. Fixed high idle.

San Antonio - Quick stop at The Alamo before heading out of Texas and riding through hill country

Twisted Sisters - Road the famous route in Texas Hill Country. Fun ride but definitely seems overrated as one of most talked about routes in the US.

Carlsbad Caverns - Checked out the Cavern and took the scenic gravel route nearby. So much wind the bike blew over on the side stand. I blame the way too long side stand when the bike is fully loaded.

White Plains - I was warned I can't ride on the hills. Not sure if the Himalayan could handle it, but I know I couldn't even if it was allowed.

Big Lake AZ - Camped up in the National Forrest(I think?) on Big Lake 9,000 feet up. Great rides near the campsite with a mix of newly paved roads and rolling dirt roads. Woke up and it was in the 40s

Phoenix - Drove down to the desert and it was in the 90s. Waiting to drop off the bike at a dealer tomorrow to get a leak looked at.

Overall the Himalayan has done well. There's been a small leak on the lower left side. Not sure where it's coming from but it started getting worse once I hit high temps and high rpms. Having a dealer take a look tomorrow and get it sorted out. I've taken primarily pavement so far which will be changing once I start riding some of the AZ BDR section and some of the TAT from Colorado west. It does well but definitely has issues keeping up in the crazy Texas 75+ speed limits and bigger hills and mountains around AZ and NM that have been 65+ mph. Though I know that's not what it's really built for so I take it slow and let the traffic pass.

I'll post a few pics in the next post but here is the general route below. Definitely not the exact roads I took though.

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.03.18 PM.png
    talmage, SpiderDan, amol and 11 others like this.
  12. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    New Himalayan owner here. I was looking for the best source for parts in the US.
    Doctor T likes this.
  13. SafetySecondADV

SafetySecondADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Massachusetts:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.29.20 PM.png

Blue Ridge Parkway

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.30.39 PM.png

Tail Of The Dragon

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.29.38 PM.png

Cherohala Skyway

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.30.49 PM.png

Camping on the Gulf in Texas

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.29.54 PM.png

Dropped Bike outside Carlsbad Cavern

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.30.04 PM.png

White Plains National Park

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.30.11 PM.png
  14. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I mounted mine, I pushed the windscreen forward as far as it would go while tightening the bolts. I think by adding the pressure, the screen goes just enough farther forward to prevent touching at full lock.
  15. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Maybe so? It looks like it must be hella close, like a business cards's worth of clearance?

Anyhow, forgot to mention... ALL YOU GS RIDERS! y'all aint got crap to complain about re: Harley riders not waving. I saw 9... nine GS riders today, loaded up riding on the Gulf Coast, or thereabouts, and not one of them waved. Sportbikers pretty much did, and say 3/10 Harley riders, but 0% GS dbags. I found that amusing. It's just stupid. I don't think I am better than the guy or gal on a scooter, or old beater bike. I still wave.

And thanks to @KennyBooBear and his awesome light brackets, I know they saw my insanely bright yellow led's coming their way. IMG_1694.JPG
    dcoop and KennyBooBear like this.
  16. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still works fine on my 18.
    buckthedog likes this.
  17. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    India via ebay (fed ex shipping is faster then most dealers here can get most non stock stuff) or Hitchcock's motorcycle out of England who if large enough order ships dhl and usually in your hand in 3-5 business days from order. Very nice site.
  18. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    With my acerbis handguards and screen in forward position I have no issues. Bar weights fit too!
    buckthedog likes this.
  19. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    Curious to know, what % would you say has your riding been off pavement?
  20. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I have just checked my screen, I have mine set to back setting, and know problems with my hitting the screen. I also have bark busters. Are the rubber washers on each side of the screen? If so I can only think they have beenover tightened. As for the seat it is a common problem so you not only owner to complain. I changed my rider seat to a touring rider seat bought on ebay. Huge improvement over the stock seat, good for at 2 to 2 1/2 hours between stops.
    You are braver than me, would not have gone near that road blocker. The horns on the cattle beast are huge, would not like to get stuck by that. Enjoy yhe bike and keep safe.
    Doctor T and buckthedog like this.