Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    mojo1 likes this.
  2. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    @Kiwi59 you are correct, the rubber washer/well nuts are deformed, meaning at some point it was overtightened. When I got the bike a few weeks ago, I went over to check for looseness, but not how tight it was. And that's just odd, why the heck are mine touching the screen? I have mine on the outside of the bar end weights also. Could you post a pic of your inner mounts? Maybe mine are different somehow. I don't want to break my new screen when it arrives.

I was outside just a few ago, and looked at the bump stops. The blob of JB Weld is smart, and reversible I also have a thick rubber stopper, like a cork. I could hog it out and epoxy it to the fork prong part of the steering bump stops.

Re: the cattle. People no longer raise them for beef, or really anything, except to look freaking awesome. Cowboy & Indian/Western movies wouldn't be the same without them.
  3. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish. I think one of the guys in India removed a rattle by properly re-attaching and re-washering the pipe. Alas, I did find the thin-squashed remains of the washer. More importantly, when I removed the pipe, held the retaining collar so it wouldn't rattle, and shook it, I could clearly hear something rattling around inside the cat-con bulge. So could the guy at the dealer, which is why he's calling RENA this week to start an emission-warranty claim.
    As we've learned on these bikes, YMMV. That is, Your (bar) Movement May Vary, depending on windshield mounting, which handguards you bought, phase of the moon, day of the week your bike was assembled, etc. After I fabricated plastic brackets (just two pieces of polypropylene stock with four holes in each) to move the windshield about an inch forward (to where its front edge lines up with the front of the headlight ring rather than the joint between ring and bucket), I have just barely enough clearance to use the fork lock. The handguard does contact (and very slightly flex) my SRC Moto windshield (soon to be replaced by a Calsci), but no more than the windshield flexes when riding.

I have a set of "Goofit" handguards--one of the many generic Chinese-via-Amazon imitation Barkbusters. I did not pop the bigger bucks for Genuine Barkbusters™®, because I have no intention of blasting through the woods on single-tracks with this bike. Those days are over by a good forty years, and if I were to get the urge to do such things again I'd be on a real Dirt Bike rather than a Himalayan. Their primary purpose is to keep the wind off my hands in cold/wet weather.

Despite a name that supposedly means "Good Fit," the Goofit handguards were a biyatsch to install--I had to hammer, bend, file, cut, and grind the supports to make them fit. Other people have had varying luck installing similar items. Funny thing is, even with rather ridiculous extensions to the plastic parts they aren't anywhere near as good at keeping my paws warm during winter rides as the much flimsier all-plastic guards that came on my '08 KLR were! I should probably look into a replacement that's more focused on protecting me from weather rather than impact. But that's a job for late summer/early fall, I suspect. Depending on how they interact with a Calsci windshield, they may just come off for the summer.
  4. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Hahaha. Well that post elicited some funny imagery. Been there. I think someone else had really “goo” luck with their Goofits.

Personally, I would not pony up the money for the bark busters brand, but I am glad they are on there. I will mess around with it today. I’m going to do my first oil change on it and after a 15 month battle with my KLR pivot bolt, I’m going to take my rear suspension off (5000 miles) and re-grease it.
  5. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy to undo now...long T handle hex fits perfectly (plenty of copper slip on the threads and sprung washered)

Attached Files:

dcoop and Doctor T like this.
  6. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Out of interest do motorcycle testing stations check emissions at each test whenever it is?. Is this annual or bi-annual?. Also, is a new number place supplied if so is the same numbers as before or totally different?. European countries get the standard 2 year warranty/ unlimited but no emission warranty.
  7. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    my Acerbis handguards used to touch the screen in the normal position but i bought a pair of BMW GS risers. That lifted and angled the bars closer to me. The problem with the risers is that they are not the same bolt pattern as the Himmi, So i had to drill out the bolt holes and fitted sleeves. I now see Hitchcock sell copies of the BMW risers for our bike now.
    Now i can use the lowest screen position with the handguards. Rox risers will do the same job but i don't like their design and they're expensive.
    s-l1600dfghjkl;p[oiuytfvgbnmkl;.jpg
    dcoop likes this.
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know of any place that currently tests motorcycle emissions. Things vary a lot from state to state, and even within states. In theory, any “tampering” with emissions stuff is a federal crime, but this is rarely enforced against individuals (it’s more against shops and manufacturers who provide/install “race-only” parts on street bikes). Some states require annual/biennial vehicle inspections, and might flag a missing smog part. I think CA is like that. IL (where I live) doesn’t have regular vehicle inspections, but the areas around Chicago and East St. Louis have every-other-year emissions inspections. These used to involve a roller dyno and exhaust sniffer, but for at least the last 15 years they’ve just plugged into the OBD connector and gotten a dump of recent self-tests. If the car says its smog stuff is working, you pass. Can’t do this on bikes because they lack the standard connector.

A bit more (now that I'm typing on a computer instead of poking my stubby little fingers at a tiny phone screen)... last time I was in California (thirty years ago), most every service station and independent garage advertised that they did smog checks. As I understood it at the time, you paid them to verify (or at least sign some state form) that all your emission systems were in place and working. In other words, a state-orchestrated transfer of money from the general public to a special interest group, but without the bad optics of raising any taxes.

Always seemed to me that such inspections (smog and other equipment) were just an invitation to bribery and shakedowns. For a short time in the '80s, I owned a Jeep Scrambler, which was a long CJ pretending to be a pickup. Pretending a bit too well, because in those days pickups had to make an annual visit to the "safety lane," just like the big rigs. You paid the guy something like twenty bucks to "inspect" your truck, and he put a sticker on the windshield. Guaranteed he'd find something "wrong" that could be fixed for another twenty bucks. Like "your headlights aren't aimed properly." Never mind that you aimed the headlights last night, following the procedure in the factory manual; you either gave him twenty bucks to pretend to aim them or you came back and tried again another day.

I am very happy to be living in a state where the only vehicle inspection is (a) free and (b) done entirely by computers.
    Doctor T and bomber60015 like this.
  9. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I almost always get a wave from GS riders. But I've got the extra driving lights on the crash bars and the LED headlight so they don't know I'm not one of them until it's too late. ;-)
  10. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the Bark busters on mine with the windscreen laid back. They just touch. I can still lock the forks. I never really notice an issue and just left them that way. I did not adjust the handlebars. I did install the OEM bar end weights.
  11. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ScottFree and others ... that bent exhaust stud? Very easy to make, if necessary. If they’re in back order from India, or your vendor is using FedEx (remind me to tell you the story of my orders two week long vacation in Germany), give a holler.
  12. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I owned a GS, I didn't get a wave from half of the GS riders... Maybe because I didn't have a set of bright lights on the crash bars...
    Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  13. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably because they are too distracted scrolling through menus trying to figure out how to turn off their heated grips...
  14. SafetySecondADV

SafetySecondADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very low so far. When I left the Northeast in March there was still a good amount of snow on the ground so I stayed on the pavement. I rode a bit of dirt and sand in Florida mainly to get some practice in as I haven't rode too much offroad before. I planned on doing the lower half of the NMBDR route then cut into Phoenix, but with the oil leak I didn't want to have any issues arise in a remote area with no cell service.

The rest of the trip through the US I'm hoping for a closer 50/50 split of dirt and backroads so can get more confidence. I will be utilizing a mix of the TAT and BDR routes. This trip is taking me all the way down to Patagonia so I have plenty of dirt and remote sections ahead of me.
  15. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cat converters are so valuable here that there are gangs of people who cut them off cars in the middle of the night to sell them for scrap.
    Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  16. BGRooster1

BGRooster1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are wrong about no one raising Texas Longhorn cattle for beef. I could give you the names of ranches and farms that raise them strictly for beef and keep a few for the large horn .
    jwaller, Eatmore Mudd and buckthedog like this.
  17. oldgsbob

oldgsbob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with Barkbusters and screen but when I fitted the bar risers (30mm) and with a set back of (20mm) everything is good. I got them from Hitchcocks. Also means I can sit back a bit and not on the very front of the seat, much more comfortable.
  18. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    @BGRooster1 Very cool. I am glad some ranches keep the old ways alive. I rescind my statement.
    byteofthecherry and BGRooster1 like this.
  19. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I've owned a BMW R45, R65, R80RT and a K75c and i can never remember anyone giving me a wave from another BMW owner in the UK. Maybe it wasn't the done thing in the 90s. Mainland Europe ive had loads of waving their way. They take their foot off the peg and lift their leg. In the UK today a sideway nod seems to the thing to do. When i owned a VW Bettle and IRC a 12 window VW bus every other owner would wave. Drove me mad on a long trip.
    It doesn't bother me at all if i don't get a nod, wave, leg lift as am a nonsociable moany old git and another biker not waving at me isn't going to spoil my nice ride out.
    CaptainTrips and buckthedog like this.
  20. dcoop

dcoop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +10 for Hitchcock’s. Order on Friday, in my hands in Anchorage, AK on Monday or Tuesday. Better than any dealer in the U.S. by far.