Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. SafetySecondADV

SafetySecondADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I notice more people wave when you're on a good ride. Riding through the mountain twisties or any of the "famous" US rides it seems like at least one person from every group gives a wave or nod.

Riding through boring stretches of Florida, Texas, or anything like that plenty of riders don't even look my way. Maybe they're just zoning out from the lack of turns like I am.
    little ackman and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  2. mjhb

mjhb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hiya,

Sorry for the delay - only just seen your question.

No. A big no reply. I couldn’t find anything in the ‘farkles’ forum either.

They are pretty expensive here in the UK, and would have to come from Europe. I don’t mind paying import taxes, as I would have to pay VAT anyway, but it’s the courier firms who take the piss with their admin charges that i object to

No Wolfman dealer in the UK either. Enduristan might be a better option. Or Givi GRT 709.

Might also have a look at Giant Loop Siskiyou.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Figured to throw two cents worth in:
    RE lists thier pannier boxes as 26 liter capacity. The measurements and the capacity don't add up so I took one off and filled it with water one liter at a time. The pannier body holds 26 liters and the lid holds 5 liters for a total capacity of 31 liters. That number jives with the dimensions.

Bombproof budget soft panniers:
    Swiss M90 rubberized ruck sacks. The dang things are tough as nails completely monsoon proof and cheap. They were on my commuter bike for five years. The bikes gone, the rucks still look almost new.

Low buck low lift bar risers:
    I been hearing that an extra Himalayan bar top clamp flipped upside down and installed beneath the bars supposedly gives 3/4 inch of rise and looks like it belongs there and their cheap as chips relatively speaking. I haven't tried it so don't know first hand.
  4. mjhb

mjhb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those Swiss rucksacks look great ! Did you need to do any ‘finessing’ to use them as panniers ? Or do they just clip together so they can be used as throw overs and attached to pannier frames ?

Thanks for the top tip !
  5. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    The only limit is the imagination. On the red and white bike a couple home brew connector straps and they're "throw over".
    On the green bike they lash to the luggage racks. Throw over and lash can work with the RE pannier frames on my Himma with but I'm thinking a pair of DIY soft luggage plates and DIY plate pucks for the cleaner install and quick change capability.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/diy-soft-luggage-plates-now-with-instructions.1358046/
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-owners-thread.1253460/page-225#post-36429745
    dcoop likes this.
  6. Crankster.aus

Crankster.aus n00b

Oddometer:
    Burnie, just wondering how you got on with that LED upgrade? Looking to replace mine and feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the choices.
    talmage likes this.
  7. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only waves from 'Beemer' riders I've ever had been more of a 'finger jabbing' accompanied by 'winky' blue lights.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I reckon we'd be members of the Honor Society :D ...as in "yes your honor".:fpalm
    byteofthecherry likes this.
  9. SafetySecondADV

SafetySecondADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So apparently I have a countershaft seal leak that needs to be fixed. Started noticing a small leak before I even got to my 3,000 mile service and recently became more noticeable(around 8,000 miles). Not sure if the original dealer tightened the chain too much at the 300 mile service or if it was leaking from the factory.

Though when they pulled off the cover they also found a squirrel decided to hide 16 nuts in my sproket cover when I was camping recently. Can't say I expected that. Felt a little knocking yesterday at lower speeds but thought I just needed to lube the chain or something. Haha
    imagejpeg.jpg
  10. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, the boys riding the "authority" models.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    I didn't mean to go off on a tangent about the waving. It certainly didn't spoil anything for me. In fact, DrT you mentioned your old hippie bus...I mean VW Microbus ;) here in the US, Jeep "Wranglers" or the JK models are very very popular. When I had mine, I spent more time waving than I did with both hands on the wheel. It was crazy.

Anyhow today was my first oil change. Went well. Used the Motul 5100. I feel better knowing the age, type and weight of the oil, as I didn't before. I then pulled the back wheel off, and the swingarm and greased every bearing. It really wasn't that bad, but any KLR owner worth his salt knows about the frozen swingarm pivot bolt. Took me 15 months of off/on work to get it out. I don't want to go there on my Himalayan. Super easy job. I do see what y'all mean about the back wheel. It's not the worst, but it didn't just fall back in place on it's own either, ya know? The strap over the seat helped a bunch.

Next, to prevent my barkbusters from breaking my new windscreen when it arrives, I looked at the steering stops... I had some old unused fuel hose. I cut it to about an inch, slit it down the middle and zip tied it to each raised stop. Seems to stay put and no longer hits at full lock. Of course it may fall off, and obviously easily reversible.

It seems on inspection of my windshield failure, that the rubber well nuts have a lip that goes through the mounting bracket, so the windscreen isn't up against metal. Mine were deformed and had pushed through, so the plastic screen was tightened up against metal. I'll likely buy some flat O rings for my new one. IMG_1705.PNG If it turns out to be a terrible idea, no harm, no foul.
    Doctor T, Kiwiscoot and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  12. pineygroveshop

pineygroveshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine too.
    buckthedog and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  13. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah, easy as. This is how I do it with no issues.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-owners-thread.1253460/page-1256#post-42246517
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scott - don't know what the Motoz Tractionator GPS's are worth over your way, but well worth the consideration for doing a long trip like yours. Here in the "Land of the long white cloud" they are about 50% more expensive that the Shinkos but will give double the life. Just a thought.

I am truly impressed with how quiet and smooth the Tractionators run compared to the Shinkos and that is without wheel weights but I do run 2oz of balancing beads in each.
  15. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will take a couple of pictures tomorrow for you. When I fitted the Hitchcock's tall screen I used rubber o-rings instead of the washers that come on the bike. Very difficult to over tighten them and crack the screen. I have yet to fit the eagle screen I bought from Australia which may clear the bark busters will find out in a couple of weeks. One thing that may worth trying is move the pre-load on the rear shock one notch higher. Completely changed the way the bike handles and improved its cornering out of sight. May also help stop the bike getting blown over again. I have ridden another Himma recently and it felt terrible when ridden over some bumps at around 70 kph felt like it bottomed out. Rode my Himma over the same piece of road and no comparison. Also check you tire pressures.
    PS I would never have told the other what I got off the road. Would have been in big trouble.
    Crankster.aus likes this.
  16. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    One last thought regarding rear wheel installation.

With most all bikes, the axles are the same diameter across their entire length. This means, again, with some few exceptions, the axle can be inserted from either side. If one side or the other has problematic spacers, caliper mounts, washers or sibling parts involved, insert the axle from that side.

for years, I turned axles around so both securing nuts were on the same side, for ease of maintenance.
  17. xy3

xy3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys and Gals,

It's time for a small introduction. I have been lurking on this forum/thread since a few months now. I haven't owned a bike since my teens. I have had several scooters and regularly rent scooters when I travel. I have had my current scooter (Honda SH150) for 10 years now. I have two MC crazy brothers who have between them owned more than 20 bikes since our teens in the 70's and early 80's. A friend told me to watch Itchy Boots on YouTube last year, and I was instantly hooked. As I got further along her trips it suddenly dawned on me that "crap why don't I own a bike". Said and done, I test drove a used Himma and then ordered a new one which arrived last month. Colour: Lake Blue, although I would rather call it Petrol Blue.

I live in Rhodes. An island in Eastern Greece (just across from Turkey). It has turned out to be the perfect place to break in a new bike and practice biking in general. We have loads of winding mountainous roads with virtually no traffic, and countless of dirt tracks. Due to lockdown we are currently only allowed to move more than a few kilometres from home on weekends, but I have managed to do 650 km over a few weekends. The first service is booked for day after tomorrow. My dealer is situated at walking distance (halfway between my home and my boat maintenance workshop that I own and operate).

I will post some photos below.
  18. xy3

xy3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    xy3 likes this.
  20. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to Rhodes, but I have made 25+ trips to Greece on business. I know on the mainland, there are some killer roads I would love to explore with a bike. I could get lost there for a while on a bike.

And until I started traveling there, I had no idea what an affinity I have for Eastern Mediterranean cuisine. I have spent a lot of time in Greece and Turkey, love the food.
    dcoop, Eatmore Mudd, xy3 and 2 others like this.