Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Won't these stop you from using the steering lock?.
    jcw64 likes this.
  2. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Is there a good good handlebar cross brace that works with the Bark Busters? I'd like to stiffen the bar assembly up a bit before big offroad trip.
  3. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Had a little ride out today and found i may have a problem. Am sure i remember that am meant to pull the clutch lever to enable me to start the bike. I can start mine without doing that. I've had a look at the plug and wires that has a micro switch attached. Cleaned up the switch with an electric cleaner but still the same. Where do the 3 wires go?. I can't start the bike whilst in gear with the side stand deployed but am sure the switch on the bars stops me from starting without the clutch pulled in.
  4. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't see it...??... starting a vehicle in neutral without a depressed clutch is 'normal'(however I had 'special' training :-) so depress the clutch as a reflex on any vehicle)…I'll check my bike tomorrow(unless those west of GMT beat me to it) and let you know.
    Kiwiscoot and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  5. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just went out to the Entropy Lab to check. Side stand down, gearbox in neutral, clutch lever out, starts fine.

IN gear, clutch out ... no spinning from the engine room.

hope this helps
  6. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doctor T and buckthedog like this.
  7. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh;...!!...so no 'jerking forward/rearward' whilst in gear(sometimes a useful feature in 4X4's low gear when pulling tree stumps to tension steel cable in slippery conditions)...might miss this when the time comes to pull a GS upright/out of the sh*t...:-)

P.S. yes I know 'battery'…it's a wishful thinking 'concept thing'
    Doctor T and bomber60015 like this.
  8. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    @Doctor T I hope you get your bike starting issue sorted. On the KLR there is a semi-adjustable clutch bypass screw under the left handlebar control that few people know about. There is a screw and an adjustment, maybe 2mm back and forth movement in total. Maybe ours has this? You just unscrew it, and move the movable part one way or other and try to start it, screw it down when it does. . I've only done it once, so cannot recall.

To answer your question about using the steering lock with the steering stops now "rubberized" the official answer is ... I don't know, I didn't think to try. All of this is conjecture until I get my new screen (and oil filter ;) ) from India. It may be different? Cut different? a slightly different mold from different years? I honestly rarely use the steering lock. Guess I should.

My bike is in a fenced, locked yard under a covered awning "car port" type thing, under a cover. My cat likes to sleep under there on her piece of foam, and she doesn't take kindly to...well, people, other animals, other cats, amoebas, helminths, single celled organisms...really any living thing.

I'll try it and let you know.
  9. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta love cats... er, I guess...
    buckthedog likes this.
  10. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went down to the local dealership at "test sat" the Himalayan. Fits nice. Only a matter of time I think. We'll see. I like the blue. Nice dash too.
    dcoop, modiorne and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. 770

770 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

if anyone still wants a headlight and/or an instrument panel bracket, I still have some left.

Both brackets are made of 5 mm thick aluminium and anodized to matt black. All fixing hardware is included and no changes to the triple clamp or frame is required.

Instrument panel bracket and hardware is 50€. Shipping to UK and EU is 11.20€, to USA is 14.95€.
    Headlight bracket and hardware is 55€. Shipping to UK and EU is 16.90€, to USA is 21.50€.
    Shipping both brackets together to UK and EU is 16.90€, to USA is 21.50€..
    For EU individuals, VAT is added to the price of the brackets.

If these brackets are of interest, please email me at himalayan@krown.work

Krownwork_REH_headlight-and-instrument-panel-brackets_01.jpg Krownwork_REH_headlight-and-instrument-panel-brackets_02.jpg Krownwork_REH_headlight-and-instrument-panel-brackets_03.jpg
    bomber60015 and Doctor T like this.
  12. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think you have a problem, except if you are able to start the bike in gear without pulling in the clutch. This is dangerous and can wreck the starter motor.

Normal to not be able to start bike in gear with the starter without pulling in the clutch. Only able to start bike in gear when doing a bump start.

Normal to be able to start bike when not in gear and not pulling in the clutch, this is able on/off sidestand or centre-stand.

So bottom line...you only need to pull in the clutch when using the electric start with the bike in gear, which sorts of makes for common sense.
  13. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd, Doctor T and xy3 like this.
  14. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Doc.
    Swaped my whole clutch lever assembly out not long after getting the bike. Do not like clutch assemblys that have a single pinch bolt... just means you either have to break it or take eerything off (grip/switchgear) to remove/relpce it.

Realised the three wire switch is the same as Kawasaki use on a ton of there bikes so picked up a really nice assembly of a ERF6/ER6N (2012 - 2016), as it had a mirror mount, for penuts of fleabay.

Personally I find the overall action of the lever far better/more feel/smoother than stock.

Anyway enought selling the swap... long story short i have a spare Kawasaki swicth if you would like it just in case yours has an intermitant fault
    Sidestand switch has been my only problem to date but now I just pull off the rubber and fill with dialetric grease every few months, or after heavy rain/puddle jumping :happay
    Drop me a pm and will send it.
    buckthedog likes this.
  15. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. xy3

xy3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the welcome. As far as oil goes we only use Extra Virgin Olive Oil here in Greece so I won't get into that discussion :-)
    dcoop, little ackman, jwaller and 6 others like this.
  17. xy3

xy3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have seen some comments and information on different luggage solutions in this thread and I wanted to contribute with some more info.

Motea in Germany has a lot of luggage options at extremely good prices. Add the discount code EXTRA25 (changes over time) at checkout to get an extra 25%. Shipping to Greece was cheap (€9 each time for me) and very fast. They use DHL.

Here is one example:
    ✨ Crashbar Bag for Royal Enfield Himalayan Bagtecs K5 Set for engine guard in black ✔ buy here (motea.com)
    Eatmore Mudd and Dool like this.
  18. Dool

Oddometer:

If you bought them you have good taste ! IMO
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. Dool

Oddometer:

And the Smell ? anything like Castor Oil ?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  20. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments. So what is the point or what is this plug with 3 wires meant to do?. On my Tiger 1050 unless the clutch was pulled in the bike wouldn't start.

I used to run a long wheel base 4x4 Mitsubishi Shogun, on pure veg oil. Ran lovely, only problem it smelt like a fish and chip shop.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.