Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Compared to my buddy's carbed DR, I really like the responsiveness of the throttle on my EFI Hima. The way mine is set up, I just push the button when cold and it settles in to a steady idle.
    Doctor T and Dool like this.
  2. BillMcQuade

BillMcQuade Slow way round

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, this is an oft-repeated urban myth.
    There is significant internal cavitation from a bullet wound that cannot be filled by a tampon.
    A tampon offers no hemostatic assistance in a wound.
    A tampon becomes saturated with approx 9ml of blood, and cannot absorb more.

You are much better off packing the wound with as much sterile surgical gauze as you have available. Even clean clothing can be used in an emergency.
    Doctor T, whysub and modiorne like this.
  3. Fistful of Bacon

Fistful of Bacon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had an aha moment when you asked me that, I guess I should have thought about it a little more, it's the wrench, not the engine light. In my defence, this is the first vehicle I've had that has a service light.

How do you reset the service light after having performed the service? I don't plan on going back to the stealership if possible.
  4. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ideally the EFI would be Better than a Carby, Things are not always Ideal.
    A well functioning FI relies on lots of plugs and wiring and Sensors and the ECU of course so that is where some of our problems are, with a Piggy Back like Powertronic for example (in part because I watched Itchy and got the Hots, for, PT) you can do the things that you could in the Old Days , like adjust the Timing and the Fuel ( dont forget the Quick Shift!:scratch) But the Catch is you have to use a computer, Cant be Too hard!
  5. Dool

Oddometer:
    You Tube:clap
  6. Dool

Oddometer:
    Or you use a ODB11 plug conversion to the Himma Diagnostic plug, I find it easier than you tube:hide
  7. rk1450

rk1450 Seasoned Rider

Oddometer:
    Looking at a 2021 Himalayan out the door price of $5400 does that seem fair. Wondering what you guys paid…..
  8. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the key off, push and hold the SEL button on the dash, then turn the key and continue to hold the SEL button until the wrench disappears.
    Dool likes this.
  9. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could have been more clear, in this case not talking about treating GSW or serious penetrating trauma - but hardly anyone carries "enough" sterile gauze to meet any situation. Tampons, pads, etc. are a convenient and compact way to carry some extra - plus you may have riders, bystanders, etc. that do carry similar and not realize or think about it. Now hopefully you will. If you do go in harm's way, I would hope and expect you to carry the basics (we call them "ventilated operator kits" as a euphemism).

Nothing replaces at least a good basic course and supplies appropo to your level of expected ADV. And carry an emergency beacon or a sat phone!!!
    Doctor T and dcoop like this.
  10. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer is currently asking the equivalent of US $5300 before taxes and fees, so the OTD price would be significantly higher.
  11. rk1450

rk1450 Seasoned Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for quick reply
  12. rk1450

rk1450 Seasoned Rider

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. Freight and dealer set up is $5400 I still would pay tax & license fee. You think fair deal?
  13. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    No kidding … just thinking about kickstarting something makes me want to lie down.
    mr.kj likes this.
  14. dcoop

dcoop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m pleased that someone (you) pointed this out. I was taking a wilderness medicine course and when we got to the part on wound cleansing on a lacerated pigs foot, I quickly became aware I could never carry enough gauze pads to cleanse a moderately dirty wound.
  15. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    don’t know where you are at but there is a 21 with 150 miles on it for sale in lancaster pa. Seller is asking 4500 which seems like a steal.
    dcoop and CaptainTrips like this.
  16. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stills seems like a better deal than what we would be paying here mid-season.
  17. mr.kj

mr.kj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does yes. Although I’ve had a good chop at my ECU to remove some of the more annoying parts I still need it for the timing - I’d love to find a decent electronic ignition system I could get to work with it and confine the ECU to the bin. Maybe a job for winter….
    rockt likes this.
  18. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I mentioned earlier, the service reminder (wrench icon) can be reset using the gauge SEL button. Nothing complicated, just hold the button down and turn the key on.
  19. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

If you ever get that far, please post about it. The Himalayan is such an old school motorcycle (in a good way) it would be cool if you could make it even simpler.
    mr.kj and dcoop like this.
  20. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer: